• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Metropolis a good source for back issues?

11 posts in this topic

Since I pretty much buy Silver Age and some Bronze, I posted this here. Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

I've been kind of disappointed in the Motor City Shows over the last couple of years. I stopped going to the smaller Fall show altogether. It seems like it's the same old, same old every year. Granted, I find something new each time, but it keeps getting harder.

I was scanning online a couple of months ago and came across Metropolis. They seemed to be pretty up to date and seemingly fair with price. Other sites seemed out of line or only had G or VG grades at best. Once, a couple of years ago, I bought from Mile High. The books were nice and the price good. But most of their stuff seems way too pricey for me. (Compared to Overstreet's Guide) I guess if you can get that price then the market proves him right. I've never bought from E-Bay or an auction site. I did buy once from the Bookery who I always thought were very fair when they used to attend the Motor City shows. But they stopped going a number of years ago.

So, is it worth giving Metropolis a try? How has everyone's experience been if you bought from them?

if you do a search there are a ton of "whos a good seller" and "where is a good place to buy books online" threads. In my personal expierence Metropolis is great to deal with and have a great inventory. Do a search you'll be glad you did thumbsup2.gif These boards really are a wealth of information you just need to look for it.

I find Metro's grading to be hit or miss, but they take returns and you can't quibble with their amazing inventory. Overall, I like buying from Metro.

If you like Silver and Bronze age books though, I think Doug Sulipa is the best there is in the business. www.dougcomicworld.com. His website is a bit archaic and pretty much useless if you want a "buy online and never communicate directly with the dealer" experience, but if you email him your want list, he'll email you back within a day or so. His grading is spot on and his inventory is massive. You'll never have to return a book and Doug is a great guy to deal with.

I tried to buy some really nice high grade CGC graded books on their website a few months ago only to be told that these books were no longer available and lo and behold these same books are still listed as being in their inventory! They even send me e-mails stating that their website has been updated!

Are you looking for Raw or CGC books.

In general, it makes sense to buy Raw books from major dealers since eBay is so Hit and Miss. Not that dealers aren't but they all take returns without much of a hassle.

If you want CGC books, then there are lots of options and honestly, you need to do lots of comparison shopping.

I have purchased 7 raw bronze issues from them which they graded as 9.8. I sent them all to CGC. One came back 9.8, 5 came back 9.6, and one came back a 9.2 (?).

I found this quite acceptable, especially since none of the issues were sold for more than $15.00. I will gladly do business with them again assuming they can locate more raw 9.8 candidates which I need smile.gif

-Rival