• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Convention Sketches That Remain

18 posts in this topic

In another thread I wrote about how I used to buy OA in the 80s, but sold all of it way before it went up in value. In addition to OA I used to get convention sketches from big name artists when they still did con sketches. I sold most of my sketches too, but I did keep a few of my favorites. Here are some of the sketches I have remaining;

bahawkman.jpg

Brent Anderson Hawkman & Hawkwoman colored by Steve Oliff.

Actually all the pieces that are colored are done by Oliff.

kaneatom.jpg

Sword of the Atom by Gil Kane

groo.jpg

Groo by Sergio Aragones

I got this from Sergio back in the 80s at a store signing. He had several pieces that he had pre-drawn prior to starting the Groo comic, so he could practice drawing armor and weapons and such. This was one of the nicer drawings and cost all of $15.00.

omaha.jpg

Omaha the Cat Dancer by Reed Waller.

Some of you may not know or remember Omaha from the late 80s early 90s, but it was one of the better if not best written and drawn adult comics from that period.

byrneww.jpg

Wonder Woman by John Byrne

I had the idea for this drawing for along time before I had Byrne draw it. It's based on the idea that what if Wonder Woman were changing from WW to Diana Prince, but instead of her civilian clothes appearing as her lasso passed over her, there were no clothes. I had asked Byrne to draw her with an "oops" expression, but i guess he forgot. I've censored both this image and the Omaha, as I don't want to offend any innocent eyeballs.

simonsonthor.jpg

Thor by Walt Simonson

I got this in 1981, 2 years before he began his classic run on Thor. I've heard from various sources that Simonson doesn't sell his originals and any sketches that he does now are very loose and not real detailed. So I was lucky to get this cool sketch and fortunate that I kept it.

In another thread I wrote about how I used to buy OA in the 80s, but sold all of it way before it went up in value. In addition to OA I used to get convention sketches from big name artists when they still did con sketches. I sold most of my sketches too, but I did keep a few of my favorites. Here are some of the sketches I have remaining;

bahawkman.jpg

Brent Anderson Hawkman & Hawkwoman colored by Steve Oliff.

Actually all the pieces that are colored are done by Oliff.

kaneatom.jpg

Sword of the Atom by Gil Kane

groo.jpg

Groo by Sergio Aragones

I got this from Sergio back in the 80s at a store signing. He had several pieces that he had pre-drawn prior to starting the Groo comic, so he could practice drawing armor and weapons and such. This was one of the nicer drawings and cost all of $15.00.

omaha.jpg

Omaha the Cat Dancer by Reed Waller.

Some of you may not know or remember Omaha from the late 80s early 90s, but it was one of the better if not best written and drawn adult comics from that period.

byrneww.jpg

Wonder Woman by John Byrne

I had the idea for this drawing for along time before I had Byrne draw it. It's based on the idea that what if Wonder Woman were changing from WW to Diana Prince, but instead of her civilian clothes appearing as her lasso passed over her, there were no clothes. I had asked Byrne to draw her with an "oops" expression, but i guess he forgot. I've censored both this image and the Omaha, as I don't want to offend any innocent eyeballs.

simonsonthor.jpg

Thor by Walt Simonson

I got this in 1981, 2 years before he began his classic run on Thor. I've heard from various sources that Simonson doesn't sell his originals and any sketches that he does now are very loose and not real detailed. So I was lucky to get this cool sketch and fortunate that I kept it.

Wow! You have some great sketches!! I really like that Groo, and Thor, an Hawkman... they're all great! DF

simonsonthor.jpg

Thor by Walt Simonson

Sweet Christmas!!! That rocks. headbang.gif Who did the coloring?

At MegaCon 2004 Walt was only doing quick headshots. I had to pull a few strings to get him to do this... plus $100 to ACTOR.

927583-WaltSimonson_Thor.jpg

927583-WaltSimonson_Thor.jpg.cc18385947175b4c27cf1d3fec5d78e4.jpg

Sweet Christmas!!! That rocks. headbang.gif Who did the coloring?

At MegaCon 2004 Walt was only doing quick headshots. I had to pull a few strings to get him to do this... plus $100 to ACTOR.

927583-WaltSimonson_Thor.jpg

The coloring is by Steve Oliff. All my con sketches I had colored were done by him.

That's pretty sweet sketch too. Congratulations on aquiring it. A $100 donation to ACTOR wasn't a bad price to pay for it.

Can somebody please tell me what that huge black thing is on Thor's left knee? There was a really nice Thor/Beta Ray Bill piece by Simonson on eBay a while back and I couldn't bring myself to bid strongly for it because it looked like Simonson had messed up the left knee and drew a ridiculously large, black knee-pad to compensate for it. Now I see two more sketches here with the same thing. What is it supposed to be?? confused.gif

Gene, Walt always seemed to accentuate the Flange over top of the knee cap on Thor's costume. The flange in Strong Guys sketch is pretty consistent in all his Thor art and sort of a trade mark of his rendering of the charater for better, or worse.

deli. it the top part of the boot. it not a mistake. it more of a visual thing. most artist call it foreshortening. of the body. it a perspective angle of his knee. tricks of the trade to give the hero that dynamic look. so he don,t look lame. hope this help you out some.

larry ;]

Can somebody please tell me what that huge black thing is on Thor's left knee? There was a really nice Thor/Beta Ray Bill piece by Simonson on eBay a while back and I couldn't bring myself to bid strongly for it because it looked like Simonson had messed up the left knee and drew a ridiculously large, black knee-pad to compensate for it. Now I see two more sketches here with the same thing. What is it supposed to be?? confused.gif

Gene, apparently Walt took a perspective course from Rob Liefeld. Hopefully he'll be back to normal after the effects wear off....

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I was perusing the CAF galleries and came across a page I used to own millerwolvie2pg5wm.jpg

I bought it from Joe Rubenstein at the 1982 San Diego Comic-Con for $100. You can see he signed it to me. He had all the art including the cover to Wolverine #2 for sale. The cover was $200. I traded it to Albert Moy in 1987 for $200 worth of other art.makepoint.gif

I remember seeing this page at Wondercon in 1998. It was at Glenn Danzig's table and he was asking $900 for it. What do you think this piece would fetch nowadays?