• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thing! 10
1 1

27 posts in this topic

So I was looking around on ebay and found a copy of The Thing! 10 for $1500 in what looks like a 1.8 -2.0. I can not find any significance to this book. This is also the only one on ebay.

My questions are

1) What if any significance does this book have?

2) Is it a super rare book? only 1 on ebay and no sold listings.

3) Is the asking price on point or crazy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECODE-THE-THING-10-1953-horror-comic-weird-tales-cdc-suspense-pch-scarce/293579189759?hash=item445aaeedff:g:2WQAAOSw1PxevGqV

4 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Love how there are 3 pics of the book in the listing that are all the same! :facepalm:

Picked this copy up for not even half that price...

The Thing # 10 CGC 5.5.JPG

So the listing is crazy that's what Im thinking.

Great copy by the way! A LCS has a copy and I liked the cover but the asking price was a lot and that one is raw about a 2.0.

2 minutes ago, Raze said:

So the listing is crazy that's what Im thinking.

Great copy by the way! A LCS has a copy and I liked the cover but the asking price was a lot and that one is raw about a 2.0.

Yeah the eBay copy is crazy! What did your LCS price the 2.0 at?

I dont remember...around $200 + it wasn't cheap and it was a consignment book. I did a thread in general about the same shop and some of the consignment books that I made an offer on but this was not in that offer

1 minute ago, Raze said:

I dont remember...around $200 + it wasn't cheap and it was a consignment book. I did a thread in general about the same shop and some of the consignment books that I made an offer on but this was not in that offer

That’s a bit high too IMO but PCH is still going through a weird phase where some sellers will try to sell rag books at VF prices using RARE and OLD as selling points.

Just now, Jayman said:

That’s a bit high too IMO but PCH is still going through a weird phase where some sellers will try to sell rag books at VF prices using RARE and OLD as selling points.

Ive noticed since COVID that a lot of books are going for higher prices! I think because there are no (or so few) comic cons and some states you can't do anything but work and go home, that most people have extra to spend on comics/collectibles pushing some books out of my price range. And people do use the "rare, old, or when do you see one for sale" pretty often, more recently on ebay.

8 minutes ago, Raze said:

Ive noticed since COVID that a lot of books are going for higher prices! I think because there are no (or so few) comic cons and some states you can't do anything but work and go home, that most people have extra to spend on comics/collectibles pushing some books out of my price range. And people do use the "rare, old, or when do you see one for sale" pretty often, more recently on ebay.

The thing is, that most of these books are not rare and can still be found at more reasonable prices. Patience and good timing pay off more often than not! (thumbsu

7 hours ago, fifties said:

What a rag, but the issue is a pretty decent read.  Prices are crazy these days, but no way is that one worth anywhere near 1500.  He's fishing.

I sent a message to the seller and asked him why he thought the book was so much, because I have a copy of it as well that’s pretty beat up and I wanted more information before I sold it. I was trying to play dumb just to see if I can get some sort of response from him

11 hours ago, Jayman said:

Plenty of overpriced books on GreedBay.

11 hours ago, Raze said:

1) It's a PCH book with a decent cover and contents. Nothing else to mark it out. The Ditko issues, especially #12, go for far more. But this issue isn't in huge demand.

2) No more rare than any other PCH book.

3) Yes. The book in that grade (1.5) is worth around $100. Probably less.

17 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

1) It's a PCH book with a decent cover and contents. Nothing else to mark it out. The Ditko issues, especially #12, go for far more. But this issue isn't in huge demand.

2) No more rare than any other PCH book.

3) Yes. The book in that grade (1.5) is worth around $100. Probably less.

The cover is cool. I only own one The Thing! 16

image.jpg

50 minutes ago, Raze said:

The cover is cool. I only own one The Thing! 16

image.jpg

Yeah, as already mentioned was a warehouse find. A shame on one hand because it is a decent issue with a nice PCH cover and deserves better recognition. On the other, there are more HG copies available for collectors at affordable prices than the other issues in the run. I’m pretty sure it was the first issue of this title I purchased back in the day! 

15 hours ago, Raze said:

So I was looking around on ebay and found a copy of The Thing! 10 for $1500 in what looks like a 1.8 -2.0. I can not find any significance to this book. This is also the only one on ebay.

My questions are

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECODE-THE-THING-10-1953-horror-comic-weird-tales-cdc-suspense-pch-scarce/293579189759?hash=item445aaeedff:g:2WQAAOSw1PxevGqV

Cool cover but the not among the most sought after. Ditko’s 12 (great first Ditko cover),14 (first all Ditko issue with a great cover and awesome story), 15 (classic Giant Worm cover!) and Lou Morales’ 7 classic injury to eye cover (and it’s gruesomely awesome) are the ones most collectors seek out first but there isn’t a bad issue in the run.