• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impulse buy, was I an idiot?

15 posts in this topic

Love the teen titans, saw this whilst I was closing out other deals and just felt that I had to have it. Have no idea as to scarcity,

Well, if it is what it seems to be - an original 4-color Color Key, there are damned few of them around. They were used for two main things: for the customer (in this case, DC) to approve the colors and also to bring to the printer so the colors could be compared to the print run and correections could be made ("bring up the cyan in this area...reduce the magenta in this area" etc.) I think it is a nice thing to have, especially as you are a TT fan, and the price seems quite fair (you probaly got it for less than DC was charged by the pre-press house!) grin.gif

Are these things floating around out there for almost all the covers? This is the first one I've seen

It is hard to say. They are production pieces. My inclination, from being in the pre-press biz, is that a lot (and I mean a lot) were thrown out. I have noticed a few of these coming up on ebay, along with "printer's proofs" of covers - they may not actually have been "proofs" - in fact - on all the press runs I have been on we never had anything called a "proof" - we just started with the basic inks and increased/decraesed the colors until all seemed to sit well - and then you'd pull a page from the stack every so often and insure the colors were stable. Any "proofs" we actually DID have from the printer would have a signature on it from the person ultimately paying for the job OKing the colors as they appeared on that print.

I've bought color acetate overlays from Marvel titles dated around 1978. Could be interior pgs or cover overlays. Generally same size as the published comic or mag.

Yes, they are made from the four color negatives (yellow, magenta, cyan and black - sometimes a "fifth black" that only has the black text is also used - it eases last minute type corrections) that the printer uses to make the plates - so they should be the same size. Interior and covers also because references are needed for all the pages.

Generally same size as the published comic or mag

for some reason mine is SOOO BIG!!

ive always wanted to say that. the guy i bought this from tried to explain to me why there were four pages on one sheet. was a while ago, but it strikes me that it was because the book art was painted instead of inks and what not, so the book itself was put through a different copy process pre printing. I have mine on ebay now, but a decent pic if you would like to see how big it is. about the size of four opened comics plus border.

Doyle033's Big One

I know its not bronze but. BTW back to original thread, looks like a good price and it is a cool piece will look great framed. maybe display with a copy of the finished book.

the guy i bought this from tried to explain to me why there were four pages on one sheet.

Are the four pages represented on the sheet larger than the final output. One thing to remember - I weas in pre-press in the late 70's and early 80's. This was before the much appreciated computerized "negatives" - everything held in the computer as a file - no dust - no hours of opaquing out dirt and stippling within the color areas (basically trying to follow the dot pattern and puncing tiny holes into the negative that will be filled in with grease pencil).

Since your book is a real modern I confess ignorance as to the latest computerized techniques. It is quite possible sizes will be different since I assume the final negs are completely computer-generated. And as such, different sizes can be created with little or no degradation in quality.

Painted or not may not be a factor. If the original is on flexible backing that can be wrapped around a scanner drum (a Hell or Crossfield type scanner - super pricey - not an HP-flat bed scanner like we all have) then it will be scanned direct. If not, most often (again in my day) the original will be photograsphed on at least 4x5 inch color - or the art may actually have been completely computer generated - again in which case anything goes.

I am a bit irritated now because I went back to this dealers auctions and somebody had already pulled the trigger on a bat and superman cover.

That's life.

When are we going to see the email trail around the deal. I mean the guy has already relisted so he obviously realises that you don't have the cash to back your buying impulses grin.gif