• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this really a 9.8?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hey folks! Just got this from eBay today, Hell Arisen # 3 CGC 9.8. I'm not sure if these are classed as printing defects but 9.8 still seems way too high. The front of the cover looks great, however.

Photo 03-11-2020, 14 19 53.jpg

Photo 03-11-2020, 14 20 51.jpg

Edited by Jipsy24

Makes me wonder if more than one person really grades each comic 😆 I’ve messaged the seller, hopefully he’ll accept a return. Otherwise I’ll have to sell it and clearly state that it doesn’t look like a 9.8

1 hour ago, Jipsy24 said:

Makes me wonder if more than one person really grades each comic 😆 I’ve messaged the seller, hopefully he’ll accept a return. Otherwise I’ll have to sell it and clearly state that it doesn’t look like a 9.8

Its definitely a bogus 9.8.  Unfortunately, you may end up in a urinating contest with the seller over who bears responsibility (seller or CGC).  

Hope everything works out on your end though, great eye on this one.

I mean, a 9.4-9.6 seems more likely.

I find a lot of CGC errors happen on the more modern (post 1990 or so) books. Am I wrong in that? And I understand collectors wanting the perfect copy, especially if they pay perfect copy prices. Because this is impossible to avoid (humans are involved so to have perfection will always be impossible), if I WERE someone buying 9.8 copies, I would ask the seller to take lotsa close up pics and not just assume the book inside is as perfect as I want it to be.

2 hours ago, Jipsy24 said:

O.o