• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centerfold wear and tear opinions? Normal or concerning?

34 posts in this topic

Looking at an early X-Men book (#6), on the edge of buying but concerned about centerfold staples.  Would appreciate any input on the photos attached, would you consider the small tears normal wear and tear?  I guess my concern is either staple replacement or centerfold replaced.  Thanks in advance.

B8DFFAFA-1C6F-4C39-9B97-056499CDF9E1.jpeg

AD3887BE-2517-4E8C-9CE3-D09DBEFB8618.jpeg

1 minute ago, CMW_Collection said:

Sorry, no closeups of the external staples!  I appreciate you taking a look.

No, you're good. The image is fine, it's just that the beat-up spine doesn't help me tell whether or not the staples have been played with. My eyes and experience are not as well-trained as others around here.

3 hours ago, CMW_Collection said:

Looking at an early X-Men book (#6), on the edge of buying but concerned about centerfold staples.  Would appreciate any input on the photos attached, would you consider the small tears normal wear and tear?  I guess my concern is either staple replacement or centerfold replaced.  Thanks in advance.

That doesn't look normal at all.

I struggle to imagine a way this damage would have happened through a normal wear process. These pictures aren't enough to make conclusive judgment, but I would guess that the staples have been removed from this book. Perhaps replaced, or perhaps "only" to allow the book to be dismantled for cleaning.

6 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I struggle to imagine a way this damage would have happened through a normal wear process. These pictures aren't enough to make conclusive judgment, but I would guess that the staples have been removed from this book. Perhaps replaced, or perhaps "only" to allow the book to be dismantled for cleaning.

I like your thought process. Have you also considered the possibility that it could be a "Franken-book?"   hm

22 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I like your thought process. Have you also considered the possibility that it could be a "Franken-book?"   hm

Yes, it could be anything.  But the seller is very knowledgeable so I would hope that would have been identified.  I think there is a good chance that the pinup was replaced.  The only thing that makes me think it wasn’t replaced is the staples and page/spine creases line up well, and the seller stated that the page quality also matched. 

Edited by CMW_Collection

In case anybody is interested, I went ahead and BOUGHT THE BOOK!  I realize the risk inherent, but I think it’s a good looking book regardless, and it was a good price.  I should get it in a week or 2, I will post some more detailed photos juuuust in case anybody wants to see.  I would still appreciate more input from folks who continue to view this post.  Thanks to everybody who has commented.  :tink:

The staples have definitely been removed and replaced. Either the same, original staples or a different pair. Whoever opened them up at the centerfold butchered the surrounding paper doing so. Now, main question is if there's any reinforcement on the inside of the cover at the staples. That is, the underside of where the staples enter the outside of the cover. Do you see any added material or glue bolstering the staples' entry holes? Open the cover, separating it from the splash page only open enough to see where the staple tines meet the paper, and look for foreign material or glue. What do you see? 

Edited by James J Johnson

11 hours ago, CMW_Collection said:

They opened up the times with their fingernails and did a bang-up job in the process! :eek: