• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 100 cover for sale

70 posts in this topic

Hi,

I definitely agree that auctioning off a high-end piece in this manner, with these limitations, is a recipe that will end in a lower end price than one would imagine. Very few people can bring together 30-50K in cash within 3 weeks. Likely, the cover won't sell this round.

As for your second point, I don't think you can take the sale price from this auction and apply it to all Romita Spidey covers. While this is a historic and memorable cover, that is not the only factor that determines value. In fact, for art, one could argue that it isn't a very important factor at all (quite different from how we value comic books).

Personally, I am not enthralled by its physical appearance, as represented by the scan. I was hoping it survived the past 35 years with less wear. Sure, it's a great cover image that we all remember, and that many of us have coveted/collected, but the cover itself has brown spots in multiple places, a relatively large amount of white-out, a few stats, and an overall heterogeneity that affects its eye-appeal and lowers its value (at least to me). Thus, while the #100 cover would have been worth more than the #69 or the #75, for example, if it were in comparable condition, the immaculate condition of the latter two covers make them much more valuable (and aesthetically pleasing) in my opinion. And, they are perhaps even more classic images of Spidey. So, if the #100 sells for 30K, I'd still feel comfortable valuing the #69 and the #75 significantly higher. Personally, I'd rather have the #101 cover by Kane/Romita over the #100 cover, now that I've seen what the #100 looks like.

Best,

Hari

Good post as always. My sense is we will likely not know the final "hammer" price on the cover unless it goes through the stratosphere. It appears that there is a need for quick cash and unless the buyer wishes to announce his "steal" at 50K (assumed), the cover will likely go underground and not be seen again for years. If a dealer ends up with the cover, then fandom will get a second opportunity to obtain it but likely at it's true market value.

Yep. If I could swing it, I would bid on this cover without hesitation.

Unfortunately, like most everyone else, I dont think I can pull $60K cash together in a week (at least not without taking a massive drubbing with a fire sale of my own).

Spencer is really limiting himself and his "client" with the terms of this sale. He will no doubt turn alot of collectors off and the simple "no time payments" is really going to backfire, as has allready been said. I think that if he was willing to stretch it out for a measly six months, then he would see an impressive amount on this auction. - Even the no credit card rule wouldn't hurt if there were time payments.

I agree with you Stephen. it probably won't sell this time around, but all it would take is two collectors with deep pockets to want it, then the price is northbound. - Woo, Moy , Fischler or maybe an overseas buyer would be willing to take the plunge.

Let us not forget that there are comic guys out there that are buying high end books from such sites as Pedigree, Heritage, PGC, Comic Link and Metro that are in the higher five figures and some are even in the 6 figures. Granted, i don't know the details of these sales, but when a 100,000 book sells, it's in someone's collection. And yet, there seems to be some hush-hush as to the buyer(s).

The number is an interesting one.

Everyody will throw 45 - 50 K minimum.

Mike Burkey wants it and that is a problem.

Couple that with speculators who are considering selling it on Heritage.

And what about the average shmooooooo

We shall hear...

Hi,

Personally, I am not enthralled by its physical appearance, as represented by the scan. I was hoping it survived the past 35 years with less wear. Sure, it's a great cover image that we all remember, and that many of us have coveted/collected, but the cover itself has brown spots in multiple places, a relatively large amount of white-out, a few stats, and an overall heterogeneity that affects its eye-appeal and lowers its value (at least to me).

Hari, I agree, but, this cover is a perfect example of what comic book art is: Production Art! The only thing that matters, then and now, is what the Printed Product looks like. This cover is a mess, though!

Could there have also been a stat production cover? I see some subtle differences to the printed comic, with the most obvious, of course, being the black background. However, "The Spider or the Man?" blurb is larger and the faces around it have shifted. On the original art, the large image of Spider-Man appears to be drawn directly onto the board, while on the printed piece, there is a large black outline to the figure. This leads me to believe that the original background was stated into reverse and then a stat of the Spider-Man figure was placed on top.

I can also see on the original where the 100th anniversary blurb was pulled off the bottom, which was then probably used on the stat version. Another thing that has been bothering me is the Kingpins face, which was under that blurb. On the original, it's a combination of the Kingpin and Mysterio. It looks like the Kingpin was original drawn, then replaced by Mysterio, with a combination of stat, ink and white out, when they realized the banner was going to block out the Kingpin. So, they moved the Kingpin back to the top, where it looks like he's coming out of Spidey's but ;-] Anyway, when the 100th Anniversary blub was pulled off, the replacement art that was under it, came off and we're left with an almalgamation of Kingpin/Mysterio!

Sorry for the rambling, but, I started out as a production Artist and I always dreamed of what it would have been like working for Marvel and putting these covers together.

Hi,

Personally, I am not enthralled by its physical appearance, as represented by the scan. I was hoping it survived the past 35 years with less wear. Sure, it's a great cover image that we all remember, and that many of us have coveted/collected, but the cover itself has brown spots in multiple places, a relatively large amount of white-out, a few stats, and an overall heterogeneity that affects its eye-appeal and lowers its value (at least to me).

Hari, I agree, but, this cover is a perfect example of what comic book art is: Production Art! The only thing that matters, then and now, is what the Printed Product looks like. This cover is a mess, though!

Could there have also been a stat production cover? I see some subtle differences to the printed comic, with the most obvious, of course, being the black background. However, "The Spider or the Man?" blurb is larger and the faces around it have shifted. On the original art, the large image of Spider-Man appears to be drawn directly onto the board, while on the printed piece, there is a large black outline to the figure. This leads me to believe that the original background was stated into reverse and then a stat of the Spider-Man figure was placed on top.

I can also see on the original where the 100th anniversary blurb was pulled off the bottom, which was then probably used on the stat version. Another thing that has been bothering me is the Kingpins face, which was under that blurb. On the original, it's a combination of the Kingpin and Mysterio. It looks like the Kingpin was original drawn, then replaced by Mysterio, with a combination of stat, ink and white out, when they realized the banner was going to block out the Kingpin. So, they moved the Kingpin back to the top, where it looks like he's coming out of Spidey's but ;-] Anyway, when the 100th Anniversary blub was pulled off, the replacement art that was under it, came off and we're left with an almalgamation of Kingpin/Mysterio!

Sorry for the rambling, but, I started out as a production Artist and I always dreamed of what it would have been like working for Marvel and putting these covers together.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for pointing all of that out. I looked at the high-res scan that Spencer sent me (kudos to him for sending such a nice scan), and noticed many of those issues. All-in-all, not a cover I'm going to bend over backwards to get into my collection. Talking to people at the Big Apple Convention today, estimates that I've heard range from 35K to 60K. Without the condition issues, if the cover looked closer to the published work (black background), and if there weren't such constraining financial terms, this piece would be an 80K+ piece.

Best,

How can you fault the fact that its not closer to the published work ? It is what it is ? And how exactly could that be done anyways,...the villans would have to be drawn with white-out ? Which than everybody would complain about.

That said,...the financing issue is legit,...but we know FOR FACT,...Mike Burkey wants it (he has said this cover is desired by him many a time). All you need is one more BSD.

If this goes for 35K..then Ill be the winner. No way its going for that.

I think its a nice piece,...considering it is small art, and not Large Art.

How can you fault the fact that its not closer to the published work ? It is what it is ? And how exactly could that be done anyways,...the villans would have to be drawn with white-out ? Which than everybody would complain about.

That said,...the financing issue is legit,...but we know FOR FACT,...Mike Burkey wants it (he has said this cover is desired by him many a time). All you need is one more BSD.

Hi Krazy,

I don't fault the art. You're right, it is what it is. It's just not for me. I don't like it. Part of the appeal of a certain cover for me is that I enjoyed or remember the book; the second part is the actual aesthetic appeal of the original art. If an item has both things, then I typically try very hard to get it. If it has one or the other, I try less hard. And, of course, if it has neither, then I'm not interested. Sometimes, the first feature overrides the latter feature, and visa versa.

Yeah, I know Mike wants it. A few other people have expressed interest too. And, yes, two BSDs is all it takes. But, even if it comes down to just two BSDs, the ultimate price will still depend on whether either one of them devalues the piece due to its condition or some other factor (such as the financial constraints).

Now, if two BSDs want this cover because it's their Grail piece (i.e. condition and other factors don't matter), then the sky's the limit.

This large art vs. small art issue comes up all the time. But, to follow your logic, how can you fault the art for being small size? It is what it is, as you say. This whole large art vs. small art debate works only with all else being even. But, that's the problem, isn't it? There is only one Spidey 100 cover, and it's small art. You can't buy a large art Spidey 100 cover.

I think it's going to come down to 1 bsd. Mike B. is not going to go nuts for this. He probably has a value in his head that is the same as mine, and one or two others. We are all going to bid about the same. There is one guy who can swat us all out of the water if he wants it. Ahhh, but does he want it.... time will tell.

Personally, I think it's sweeeet!