• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Scans/Photos of Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

26 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Courageous Cat said:

since we're on the topic, does anyone know why that book is so scarce/rare? Most early whiz are tough to come by, but #1/2 is ridiculously tough . Low print run? What gives

I don’t know what the print-run was (can any boardies chime in?) but it was the “Marvel Comics #1” of Fawcett, with no guarantees for success.

It became a Top-4 book early in the hobby’s history, but a lot of time passed between its 1939 newsstand debut and the point where comic books were preserved as a part of a new “hobby.”

The cover has no “No. 1” listed. All of the above contributed to it being a rarer book in the long run than Action #1, Tec #27 and Marvel #1.

3 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

This is incredible.

You're certain this is not altered? Do you know where it originates from?

Dont know where i got the pic but looks to be Action 20 than Superman 3 than whiz 1 all the same time line. Than 2 display on top saying just out with a pic of whiz 1. I say this is real

34 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Dont know where i got the pic but looks to be Action 20 than Superman 3 than whiz 1 all the same time line. Than 2 display on top saying just out with a pic of whiz 1. I say this is real

Those 3 books were on the newsstand at the same time.

10 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I seem to remember a group shot of multiple Whiz #2’s. Although I may be mixing it up with another book.

I’ve owned 15 copies over the past 20 years I believe. Most at same time was 3

20 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

This is incredible.

Newsstand picture is from a scan from old fanzine. More info here.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/118924-1939-newsstand-pic-time-machine-journey-into-the-past/page/93/#comments

First is a convention photo for Empire Comics. Whiz 1 in second photo. Dates and locations unknown but someone here will probably know.

empire comics.JPG

whiz dealer.jpg

On 11/7/2020 at 7:27 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

This is incredible.

It's Great Lakes Newsstand at the corner of E 105th Street and Euclid Avenue in Cleveland Ohio in early1940. I can't find an exact original source, but this copy of it comes from a 1970s fanzine called Xenophile which reprinted it from a 1940 news agent magazine, no specific source was given.