• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

square bound manufacture or pressing?

21 posts in this topic

have an FF Annual #1 that i bought at least 10 years ago. book presents beautifully (bone white, one tiny stress mark on front cover) but back cover has a suspiciously pancaked appearance. these square bounds are notorious for manufacture oddities (waviness, etc). anyone have any suggestions on how to tease out manufacturing kinks from good old fashioned pressing? thanks.

have an FF Annual #1 that i bought at least 10 years ago. book presents beautifully (bone white, one tiny stress mark on front cover) but back cover has a suspiciously pancaked appearance. these square bounds are notorious for manufacture oddities (waviness, etc). anyone have any suggestions on how to tease out manufacturing kinks from good old fashioned pressing? thanks.

Show us a picture of what you mean. It's impossible to tell what you're talking about based only on that description. Squarebound books are pressed during the binding process, so there is a good chance that what you're seeing is from manufacturing, not necessarily aftermarket pressing.

ok- don't know why it doesn't show up in the body of the reply but it's an attachment (twice). one more shot w/ the front cover.

930989-ffannual1-front.jpg

I don't see any evidence that this book was pressed. This looks like a completely normal consequence of the printing process to me.

It looks fine to me - not "suspiciously pancaked" - Great copy! thumbsup2.gif

It looks fine to me - not "suspiciously pancaked" - Great copy! thumbsup2.gif

Isn't a properly pressed book supposed to look that way? I'd be even more suspicious now that it looks that good 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The book looks like normal production to me. I'd say pressing is unlikely. And a beautiful copy, BTW.

One thing of note...The reason squarebounds are not pressed is because the glue will re-melt and the cover will fall off the book. gossip.gif

The glue used on the spine is similar to what is used in a hot glue gun. It's not a solvent based glue.

The book looks like normal production to me. I'd say pressing is unlikely. And a beautiful copy, BTW.

One thing of note...The reason squarebounds are not pressed is because the glue will re-melt and the cover will fall off the book. gossip.gif

The glue used on the spine is similar to what is used in a hot glue gun. It's not a solvent based glue.

At the San Diego con (during the panel, if I recall correctly), Mark Wilson said that a press job uses mild heat of less than 180 degrees and that the book isn't in the press all that long. I doubt the mild <180 degree heat from a press job would affect the glue unless it had a really low melting point.

The only pressed squarebound book that I have seen, that I knew to be pressed, was not professionally done. The binding was noticeable crunched, and the covers were otherwise perfect. I don't know what the heat setting was, but the cover was still very much attached. It's look and feel was certainly 2-dimensional, though 27_laughing.gif

At the San Diego con (during the panel, if I recall correctly), Mark Wilson said that a press job uses mild heat of less than 180 degrees and that the book isn't in the press all that long. I doubt the mild <180 degree heat from a press job would affect the glue unless it had a really low melting point.

I'd have to do some research to get the melting point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif