• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulps Between Boards: Arkham House and Other Specialty Publishers
4 4

259 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2024 at 12:39 AM, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  This is now in the lead as the lowest print run Arkham House book I own, although I suppose it's far from impossible that some of the Arkham Samplers may actually have fewer surviving copies since they're magazines.  I don't expect to ever track down Spells & Philters or The Dark Chateau.  A beautiful book with a dozen B&W plates by Utpatel.

081_Poems in Prose.jpg

You've really put the pedal to the metal on Arkhams lately Eric :headbang: 

Is it a determined focus now? I've gone through some good streaks but they're a bit pricey so always turning to other things for a break

On 7/26/2024 at 7:33 PM, Surfing Alien said:

You've really put the pedal to the metal on Arkhams lately Eric :headbang: 

Is it a determined focus now? I've gone through some good streaks but they're a bit pricey so always turning to other things for a break

Yeah, I've started focusing on Arkhams a bit recently.  There's at least a couple more CAS books I'm planning to get within a month or so, Black Book and Selected Poems.

I'm trying to narrow my collecting to either authors I specifically collect, or AAA books... Aces, Avons, and Arkhams.

A question for you guys, It has come to my attention that some of the Arkham House catalog was reprinted by a British publisher(?) in the 80's. Are these readily distinguishable from the originals? For example, do they have ISBN, are they marked as reprints inside? I ask because with the few I hope to get, I don't want a reprint, but rather the real deal. I googled, checked Wikipedia, where the info was revealed but with little clarity. Sorry to ask so many questions lately, but I'm a greenhorn. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 8/15/2024 at 8:59 AM, jimjum12 said:

A question for you guys, It has come to my attention that some of the Arkham House catalog was reprinted by a British publisher(?) in the 80's. Are these readily distinguishable from the originals? For example, do they have ISBN, are the marked as reprints inside? I ask because with the few I hope to get, I don't want a reprint, but rather the real deal. I googled, checked Wikipedia, where the info was revealed but with little clarity. Sorry to ask so many questions lately, but I'm a greenhorn. GOD BLESS ... 

British publisher Neville Spearman published Arkham House reprints from 1971-1975.  They are hardcover, but have completely different dust-jackets and are easily identifiable as the reprints.  

And The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith.  This gives me nine of the thirteen CAS books Arkham did, and here I will stop for a while.  Out of Space and Time, while not absolutely out of my price range, is definitely at the edge of it... and if I want a copy with a dust jacket, I'm probably going for Beyond the Wall of Sleep first instead.  I should pick up the Neville Spearman reprint at some point soon as a place holder, though.  The Dark Chateau and Spells & Philters are both more than I really want to pay, and I've got a majority of that material in Selected Poems or The Black Book.  And A Rendezvous in Averoinge would be easy enough to get, but I've got almost all the material in the books I do have at this point.

147_The Black Book of CAS.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

Being a collector who is drawn to what he cannot have, I've been lusting after a Dark Carnival for a minute. Unfortunately, if I ever have one, it will have to be a copy that also doubled as a coloring book for someone's four children. I do notice, the handful of Arkham House items on my eBay want list, keep disappearing before I can afford them. I feel Other Eric's pain ... they seem almost affordable, until they're not. The ones from the 60's and 70's are still available in tantalizingly nice shape (for now), adding to the frustration. GOD BLESS ... 

MEME LOVECRAFT HOUSE.jpg

On 8/21/2024 at 11:30 PM, OtherEric said:

Two in today.  Night's Yawning Peal is the 1st print, as near as I can tell, the jacket is neatly price clipped but doesn't have the 2nd print note at the bottom of the front flap.  I think this one is a bit underrated, given that it's almost half HPL, including only the 2nd publication of the complete The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. (The Weird Tales serial version was cut quite a bit.)

046_Night's Yawning Peal.jpg

I detect the hand of Leo Manso...

On 7/26/2024 at 12:39 AM, OtherEric said:

I don't expect to ever track down Spells & Philters or The Dark Chateau.  A beautiful book with a dozen B&W plates by Utpatel.

Our very own Red Fury has a copy for sale of DARK CHATEAU , at least I think it's him. I'm sure he could work out payments or maybe even a partial trade. It's a true key in the field, and it's not THAT horrifically costly. I know you would be worthy of it. I've been blessed to own some awesome books in my meager life, almost all the result of time payments. If you get in a jam, you can always sell it. GOD BLESS ... 

Life is short, amigo ... carpe diem!

MEME 1620.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2024 at 12:49 PM, jimjum12 said:

Our very own Red Fury has a copy for sale of DARK CHATEAU , at least I think it's him. I'm sure he could work out payments or maybe even a partial trade. It's a true key in the field, and it's not THAT horrifically costly. I know you would be worthy of it. I've been blessed to own some awesome books in my meager life, almost all the result of time payments. If you get in a jam, you can always sell it. GOD BLESS ... 

Life is short, amigo ... carpe diem!

Yes, that is me, and thanks for the plug.  Yes, I of course would sell it privately and offer time payments for anyone interested.  I also have a Dark Carnival for sale, a very high grade signed copy.

Todd's Ebay store

Edited by RedFury