• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulps Between Boards: Arkham House and Other Specialty Publishers
4 4

177 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2024 at 9:57 PM, Surfing Alien said:

That is a beast of a copy. When I was in college at NYU in the 1980's I worked for a while for Eric Kramer at his Fantasy Archives on 8th Avenue in Manhattan and he always had 5 or 6 copies of the Outsider that I was astonished at being able to see/handle. Some real nice ones, he had ridiculous material like L.W. Currey carries (who was his main competitor for top material)   I'm happy and blessed to have a copy now. It doesn't look quite like that one!

I've become jaded by these forums, but the 20K ask looks almost reasonable, not that I can afford it. I bet your own copy is one of the favorite collectibles that you own. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/8/2024 at 9:21 AM, jimjum12 said:

I've become jaded by these forums, but the 20K ask looks almost reasonable, not that I can afford it. I bet your own copy is one of the favorite collectibles that you own. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

It's one of those books that I never thought I'd have and am fortunate enough to have one just worn enough that I feel comfortable to pull out every once in a while to read a tale. There's always something extra to reading stories in these old formats.

20231005_114641.thumb.jpg.d176f6f99acaa4cd63bb3ce4eeedcaac.jpg

A little off the subject post, but of interest to Arkham House Collectors.

The greenish sculpture below is possibly (though not likely) a Clark Ashton Smith Sculpture. I tried to post pictures and details on an Arkham House Facebook page, but they did not go through probably because I'm not a member. Perhaps someone on these boards can point somebody who might be expert in the subject to this post.

Why might it be a CAS Sculpt? Well it came into a Thrift Store in North Oakland many years ago on the same street and nearby to where noted HPL Circle member and close friend of CAS George Haas lived for many years. George was known as 'Ji Eich' to the other HPL circle members and corresponded with many. He was a close friend with CAS and collected his Art and had quite a number of Smith's sculptures. The theme of the piece is in Smith's wheelhouse. The main problem is the signature on the base. CAS had two known signatures 'CAS' and 'KA' with the 'K' reversed. Perhaps there is a third signature variant I am unaware of? Probably not, but the close proximity of where this turned up to where Haas lived, the general overall 'look' of a Smith piece and the intriguing signature make me wonder. There is a book about Haas which I have, though can't get to at the moment. If somebody has one, they might look through the pictures and let me know if the green sculpt shows up. Thanks in advance.

The dark sculpture of the little guy with a helmet/hat is a genuine CAS sculpture for comparison, It once belonged to George Haas and is signed my Smith in the usual 'KA' manner.

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_9117.jpeg

IMG_9116.jpeg

IMG_9118.jpeg

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

Edited by Book Guy

On 2/22/2024 at 8:10 PM, Book Guy said:

A little off the subject post, but of interest to Arkham House Collectors.

The greenish sculpture below is possibly (though not likely) a Clark Ashton Smith Sculpture. I tried to post pictures and details on an Arkham House Facebook page, but they did not go through probably because I'm not a member. Perhaps someone on these boards can point somebody who might be expert in the subject to this post.

Why might it be a CAS Sculpt? Well it came into a Thrift Store in North Oakland many years ago on the same street and nearby to where noted HPL Circle member and close friend of CAS George Haas lived for many years. George was known as 'Ji Eich' to the other HPL circle members and corresponded with many. He was a close friend with CAS and collected his Art and had quite a number of Smith's sculptures. The theme of the piece is in Smith's wheelhouse. The main problem is the signature on the base. CAS had two known signatures 'CAS' and 'KA' with the 'K' reversed. Perhaps there is a third signature variant I am unaware of? Probably not, but the close proximity of where this turned up to where Haas lived, the general overall 'look' of a Smith piece and the intriguing signature make me wonder. There is a book about Haas which I have, though can't get to at the moment. If somebody has one, they might look through the pictures and let me know if the green sculpt shows up. Thanks in advance.

The dark sculpture of the little guy with a helmet/hat is a genuine CAS sculpture for comparison, It once belonged to George Haas and is signed my Smith in the usual 'KA' manner.

Any help is appreciated.

I have one CAS sculpture, but it's a cast one, not carved.  Still, it has the "KA" on the bottom with the backwards "K".  I have never seen "KAYS" before.  I really don't know if yours is by CAS or not.  It is similar to his sculpts, but feels different to me.  Hm, interesting.

F101lSOh.jpg DTBkFZph.jpg

On 2/23/2024 at 4:29 PM, Book Guy said:

Great piece! I don't think it is one either, but there is a reasonable chance and worth investigating. I am going to try and post on the Arkham Facebook forum again. The 'possible' sculpt doesn't belong to me BTW, but to a friend.

Collecting the Lovecraft Circle, Weird Tales, and Arkham House

This Facebook group was created by me.  It's a private group so you'll have to join to post.  But it's a really good group.

Great item. I love anything with personalization and you can't get much better than an Author editing his own text for a later edition. Lotta changes! Some will be put off by the 'writing' in the Book, but if you've been around Books a lot, you know that's what makes it unique and therefore 'better'. I can't see comic collectors feeling the same way about Comic Books, but that's just an example of how two collecting groups can have different mind sets.