• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Publishers
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new to this board, and after a lengthy hiatus from collecting comics I got back into the hobby. I mostly collected from the silver age forward, but I want to expand into golden age comics. Besides the usual suspects (Marvel,DC,Archie) what are some golden age era publishers worth checking out?

On 11/11/2020 at 6:53 PM, goldsilverap said:

what are some golden age era publishers

I feel for Golden Age, you should start asking first what type of stories (i.e., genre) are attractive to you and then check out which publisher had the best material for that genre. What's your interest?

Are you more interested in getting some really cool covers or in reading stories?

On 11/11/2020 at 5:53 PM, goldsilverap said:

Hi,

I'm new to this board, and after a lengthy hiatus from collecting comics I got back into the hobby. I mostly collected from the silver age forward, but I want to expand into golden age comics. Besides the usual suspects (Marvel,DC,Archie) what are some golden age era publishers worth checking out?

The biggest consideration is the type of comics you liked to collect before you stopped because some house styles and characters carry over from GA to SA.  

That said, the best of the GA ...moving beyond the usual suspects by excluding Timely, DC and pre-Archie dominated MLJ..... probably starts with EC Comics far superb art and streamlined storytelling (‘50 - ‘55), followed by Quality Comics ...especially from early ‘40 to early ‘50’s... for interior and cover art (prime examples being Police, Military, Blackhawk, Doll Man and Jack Cole’s Plastic Man), Prize Comics (underrated, IMO, great art and characters), Lev Gleason (especially for literate storytelling with the original Daredevil & earlier Silver Streak Comics being prime examples), Hillman (primarily Air Fighters/Airboy), Harvey (poor man’sTimely), Standard/Nedor/Better (richer poor man’s Timely), Fiction House (racy SF with Planet, racy air combat with Wings and even racier Jungle Comics), Fox (for early Lou Fine Wonderworld featuring The Flame and Matt Baker’s Betty Page inspired Phantom Lady), etc.  

Hope my inflated two cents worth helps! (thumbsu