• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice for purchase with a crack in the case
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently have become fascinated with learning about comics: researching their values, collecting/flipping, reading them, etc.

So I ended up buying an Eternals issue 1 comic from ebay that is graded at a 9.0. I got it for $175 which I feel is a good deal. It seemed great but when I got it today I noticed there is a crack on the bottom of the case. I don’t suspect tampering, as the case is still tight and the posts are all in tact.

My problem is that I bought this was specifically to sell later on down the road. I know some folks don’t care at all if there is a small crack that doesn’t affect the art, others however do care a lot.

I am afraid to have it reholdered and the fear is based in the fact that it can be downgraded. There is a pencil mark on the comic you can see in the photo so I don’t have 100% certainty that if sent it that it will retain its 9.0 grade.

Do you think this crack will affect the resale value of this comic book? You can’t see it at all when it’s on display, but knowing it’s there is like a mental rock in your shoe. If so, how much? I could return it and hope to get another at that price, but they are all selling for around $200, even lower grades are going for that much. Appreciate any advice!

57B47628-EF3D-4E3E-9D82-6DE070DCA7FA.jpeg

9B0E6BA4-96A5-4161-877A-7EDCAA117C68.jpeg

5F925784-F6FA-4284-BAEB-70029A39DF89.jpeg

C5838AD3-5BB6-4BA5-8C17-BF823688FB86.jpeg

DC750229-2FE6-47F6-92B4-E89FE25722FE.jpeg

It CAN get regraded, possibly downgraded, if they think it has sustained any damage, or wear and tear, since it left them the first time.  From the CGC Submissions page:

"ReHolder - A comic book in a CGC holder is encapsulated in a new CGC holder. The grade assigned to the book should not change, unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly. To qualify, the book must still be encapsulated in its original CGC holder.

@Ruskoinabiscuit  You made the right call to send it back.  The reholder is $15, plus $5 admin plus shipping both ways.  It can cost up to $45 to get it done.  So a buyer should take that amount into consideration.  Also, time packing, materials, prepping submission form, risk of it getting downgraded, general hassle, etc. 

On 11/21/2020 at 1:25 PM, Ruskoinabiscuit said:

So I ended up requesting a return and buying a 9.2 for a slightly higher price. I went to delete this thread but don’t see an option to. It wasn’t reviewed by a mod, I didn’t know it would have to be and wanted some quick advice but made up my own mind. Thanks

And while you were making up your mind about that, we were making up our minds about this, which you...... won!! :banana:

welcome.gif

Edited by James J Johnson