• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Affordable Superman Golden Age Keys (or Minor Keys 😉)
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Everyone is going to have their view on what the best/most important minor keys are - but looking at planning some acquisitions for next year and want to expand my Silver Age Superman collection into the golden age - so was hoping for some guidance on affordable low grade keys and what would be the best/most important book to target first  

When I say affordable and low grade, looking in the $800-1,500 range and in the CGC 1.0-4.0 range  

Some books I am considering:

- Superman 7 - first Perry White

- Action 27 - first Lois Lane Cover

- Superman 53 - detailed origin (would go nicely with my low grade Batman 47)

- Action 20 - great cover and missing the “S”

- Action 47 - first Luther Cover

Any thoughts on others that would be more important and/or that should be in a Superman Collectors Collection?

(I have a Superman 61 first Kryptonite already). 

43 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Superman #76 (1st meeting in the Superman series, but more importantly, first time they learn each other’s identities). Your grade range is easily within or less than the price range you threw out.

026BD8DB-ABB0-429E-AC3F-51B51BAF9D62.jpeg

I always think of Supes 76 as Silver - even though it is clearly not 😁

That copy is a stunner!

17 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

I always think of Supes 76 as Silver - even though it is clearly not 😁

That copy is a stunner!

Thanks 😁. I just always remember that 100 begins the SA, so that helps me out. Some books in various series definitely get confusing though!

3 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I'm a big fan of any superman WWII covers. Superman punching Nazis. It doesn't get much better. 

Superman #23 always stands out. Action 63 is great. 

There are many others. 

Love both Supes 23 and Action 63 two awesome covers.

Also love Superman 18 for a war cover 

18 minutes ago, manofsteel said:

109 is the first SA Supes. 

Hmm, I guess you’re right lol. I swear someone told me Supes 100 began the silver age of Supes. But date wise now that I compare it to Showcase 4 I see what you’re saying.

Out of your initial list, Superman 53 would be my top choice. 

Overall I love all the war covers: 14, 17, 18, 23, 26

The secondary characters don't really excite me, especially AC 47, which just shows the back of Luthor's head.

AC 20 is an awesome book, but unless you get a real beater, it's not in the range you were thinking. 

Edited by SuperBird

33 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Out of your initial list, Superman 53 would be my top choice. 

Overall I love all the war covers: 14, 17, 18, 23, 26

The secondary characters don't really excite me, especially AC 47, which just shows the back of Luthor's head.

AC 20 is an awesome book, but unless you get a real beater, it's not in the range you were thinking. 

I would also assume Superman 7 is a War Cover and it has a "key" first appearance in the First Perry White.  I am actually surprised Superman 7 is not a more popular book.

That being said Superman 53 is a great book (and cover) and would look really nice beside my Batman 47 - that way I could have a nice mini set of the detailed origins (since I won't get the first appearances).  Is Superman 53 the first detailed origin (like Batman 47 is for Batman) of Superman that expands on the origin in Action 1 or is it just a retelling?  I understand that certain features are added in Superman 53 (like the Kents as farmers, "Clark" as a family name, the use of Superman etc.) but I have not confirmed this.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, bpc3qh said:

Superman #30 (first appearance of Mister Mxyzptlk) is one of my favorites.

Here's a nice 3.5 selling on c-link. https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dsuperman%2B30%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1444536&id=1444536&itemType=0

15 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Superman 7's foes aren't obviously soldiers, so it doesn't register as a war cover to me? 

I'm not familiar with Batman 47, but Supes 53 is more detailed than AC 1: 

https://babblingsaboutdccomics3.wordpress.com/2015/06/21/superman-53-the-origin-of-superman/#:~:text=Jor-El has only a,by John and Mary Kent.

But it features WWII soldiers and is promoting support for the war so it's definitely a war cover.