• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever have convo / dealings with Nic Cage ?
2 2

17 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I believe Charlie sheen had an action 1 ?  I have to assume Jerry Seinfeld has one abd Kevin smith has a Tec 27 but I’ve never gotten any confirmation from anyone in the know. 

Charlie sold it to pay his hooker bill lol

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So he still dabbles in the hobby??!!

This was a few years ago. I think once he split with Lisa Marie, he started dipping his toes again. At the same time he purchased books from me, photos surfaced of Cage at a comic book show checking out Marvel keys. 

9 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I sold him some Batman GA on eBay a few years ago. Really pleasant to deal with and he gave me nice feedback.

I'm being really nosy here, but I'm curious so I have to ask: was it very obviously him when you received payment, or at what point did you figure out that it was him?  I've always imagined that one of the downsides of having any level of fame/notoriety is that you might not always want to buy stuff in your own name and have it shipped to your home address.

On 11/29/2020 at 6:28 PM, Chicago Boy said:

On the comic front ......

Below is a thread that discusses the principal dealer involved in procuring and selling Cage his collection.

The poster claims to have inside information that many books sold to Cage by the dealer were restored and without disclosure prior to acquisition.    

On page #3 the Heritage Cataloguer of the collection chimes in to try and bring clarity to the situation. The information is from a hands-on perspective and the details are noteworthy. So much so, a statement is made that "most of the purple labeled books do not have the 'from the Nicolas Cage collection' on them."

The statement of missing Cage designations was quickly rebuffed by the then CGC President & Primary Grader, who responded by saying "ALL of the comics say "FROM THE COLLECTION OF NICOLAS CAGE"... Go look again. We would not "snub" any comic, you know better than that."

However, the cataloguer was correct in his declaration. After an initial study of the collection, sometime after the thread aired, I discovered there were restored books missing the Cage designation. Here are a few:

Adventure Comics #32 (DC, 1938) CGC Apparent FN+ 6.5

Action Comics #9 (DC, 1939) CGC Apparent VF/NM 9.0

Action Comics #15 (DC, 1939) CGC Apparent VF 8.0

Finally, on page #6 of the thread, 18-days after the original poster's opening salvo, the Cage dealer responds to the accusations with their side of the story. According to the dealer, he "personally sold Nick Cage 100% percent of his collection."

Here's the thread:

For Your Eyes Only they said, but EVERYONE should read this!

Edited by MasterChief
typo

42 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

Below is a thread that discusses the principal dealer involved in procuring and selling Cage his collection.

The poster claims to have inside information that many books sold to Cage by the dealer were restored and without disclosure prior to acquisition.    

One page #3 the Heritage Cataloguer of the collection chimes in to try and bring clarity to the situation. The information is from a hands-on perspective and the details are noteworthy. So much so, a statement is made that "most of the purple labeled books do not have the 'from the Nicolas Cage collection' on them."

The statement of missing Cage designations was quickly rebuffed by the then CGC President & Primary Grader, who responded by saying "ALL of the comics say "FROM THE COLLECTION OF NICOLAS CAGE"... Go look again. We would not "snub" any comic, you know better than that."

However, the cataloguer was correct in his declaration. After an initial study of the collection, sometime after the thread aired, I discovered there were restored books missing the Cage designation. Here are a few:

Adventure Comics #32 (DC, 1938) CGC Apparent FN+ 6.5

Action Comics #9 (DC, 1939) CGC Apparent VF/NM 9.0

Action Comics #15 (DC, 1939) CGC Apparent VF 8.0

Finally, on page #6 of the thread, 18-days after the original poster's opining salvo, the Cage dealer responds to the accusations with their side of the story. According to the dealer, he "personally sold Nick Cage 100% percent of his collection."

Here's the thread:

For Your Eyes Only they said, but EVERYONE should read this!

Fascinating read !

9 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

I'm being really nosy here, but I'm curious so I have to ask: was it very obviously him when you received payment, or at what point did you figure out that it was him?  I've always imagined that one of the downsides of having any level of fame/notoriety is that you might not always want to buy stuff in your own name and have it shipped to your home address.

I realized it when he gave his name and address on the PayPal transaction.

15 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Fascinating read !

That was great! Now we know - of course - that since the years have passed, Cage had a problem with shopping and has teetered on being broke. nevertheless, I always appreciated his taste in comic books and was glad he could buy the books he wanted, unlike many of us "peons".

2 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

That was great! Now we know - of course - that since the years have passed, Cage had a problem with shopping and has teetered on being broke. nevertheless, I always appreciated his taste in comic books and was glad he could buy the books he wanted, unlike many of us "peons".

I’d love to run into him and talk comucs. A buddy of mine in Vegas says he works out at his gym there regularly.  The Metropolis angle / involvement was really interesting to me.