• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First He-man comic

First He-man comic?   

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is the first He-man comic

• Dc comics presents #47
    • Masters of the universe 1981 the power sword

16 posts in this topic

He-Man makes his first appearance in the mini comic which debuted in 1981 with the original toy release. 

DC Comics Presents is the first appearance of He-Man as Prince Adam, which is why there is the confusion.

2 hours ago, Mrmg84 said:

I see most people say the first appearance of He man was dc comics presents #47. But masters of the universe 1981 comic He-man and the power sword was actually his first appearance but some say this does not count. Can anyone explain please 

20201130_211121.jpg

My guessing the the “It doesn’t count” argument is because the interior of the first 4 mini-books included with the figures is more like an illustrated children’s story book with one illustration per page with prose text beneath each illustration. As opposed to multiple sequential panels of art per page with word balloons etc, a format that is more closely associated with comics. 

The mini-books don’t go the the sequential panel format until the second wave of figures and I think by that point DC Comics Presents #47 may have already been released. 

Because the mini-books from that point on resemble comics they get referred to as ‘mini-comics’ in total even though the first 4 really don’t match that format. 

For the record, I currently own neither so I have no hoarse in this race. Though given the choice I would much rather have a high-grade CGC copy of the book pictured above. 

6 minutes ago, D2 said:

He-Man makes his first appearance in the mini comic which debuted in 1981 with the original toy release. 

DC Comics Presents is the first appearance of He-Man as Prince Adam, which is why there is the confusion.

Yeah, the DC comic series is kinda weird because it contains story elements from the first toy mini-books (like the two halves of the power sword) that don’t appear in the cartoon, and vice verse, such as He-Man having the duel identity of Prince Adam. 

7 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

My guessing the the “It doesn’t count” argument is because the interior of the first 4 mini-books included with the figures is more like an illustrated children’s story book with one illustration per page with prose text beneath each illustration. As opposed to multiple sequential panels of art per page with word balloons etc, a format that is more closely associated with comics. 

The mini-books don’t go the the sequential panel format until the second wave of figures and I think by that point DC Comics Presents #47 may have already been released. 

Because the mini-books from that point on resemble comics they get referred to as ‘mini-comics’ in total even though the first 4 really don’t match that format. 

For the record, I currently own neither so I have no hoarse in this race. Though given the choice I would much rather have a high-grade CGC copy of the book pictured above. 

FWIW, there's a 1933 Kellogg's premium that is considered by Overstreet to be the first Buck Rogers in comics, but its interior is as you described the mini-books -- one illo and text per page. So there's precedent for the argument. I have no horse in this either; don't own either He-Man book currently. 

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Yeah, the DC comic series is kinda weird because it contains story elements from the first toy mini-books (like the two halves of the power sword) that don’t appear in the cartoon, and vice verse, such as He-Man having the duel identity of Prince Adam. 

What I also appreciate about the mini comic is that, unlike, say, the Star Wars comic release, which was an adaptation comic, He-Man’s true 1st appearance in the mini comic is relevant to understanding his true origin. 

From my own personal belief, and I use that statement boldly, a pure comic book 1st appearance only matters when it is the source material, which the mini comic exemplifies. 

Another false 1st appearance, in my eyes, would be Harley Quinn, as her 1st appearance was strictly in the cartoon, later adapted to the comic. 

It does seem to be the introduction of prince adam a lot of people find key. Added with the layout that DC had in traditional comic format. But the art the mini series is great as does mean someone else wrote Heman first.i guess you could say thats a book not a comic. If there was superman book without mentioning clark kent would it still be the first superman. Tough one 😂 

14 minutes ago, D2 said:

What I also appreciate about the mini comic is that, unlike, say, the Star Wars comic release, which was an adaptation comic, He-Man’s true 1st appearance in the mini comic is relevant to understanding his true origin. 

From my own personal belief, and I use that statement boldly, a pure comic book 1st appearance only matters when it is the source material, which the mini comic exemplifies. 

Another false 1st appearance, in my eyes, would be Harley Quinn, as her 1st appearance was strictly in the cartoon, later adapted to the comic. 

Yeah, but looking at what’s going on with Heir to the Empire #1, it’s clear the current criteria for determining “key” and “first appearance” isn’t strictly governed by logic. 

I have a soft-spot for the above mini-comic because it was included with the first He-Man figure I got as a kid. And I believe the art in that first mini-book was done by the artist who helped design the characters and did the package artwork. It’s got a great pulp look and the story is more sword-and-sorcery than superhero which I like. 

I don’t think the similarities of the DC comic to the characterization and story elements in this mini-book are an accident any more than the similarities to the cartoon. 

I’m guessing that when Mattel approached DC about doing a comic they provided DC with the story premise that was going to be in the figure mini-books. While the comic book was in development the cartoon started production and DC was likely asked to start making the comic conform more to the cartoon. So you ended up with this weird amalgamation of the two. 

But I agree, think the mini-book is fundamental In establishing who He-Man is and what the rest of that universe is, even though the cartoon version eventually became what most people think of as “standard” He-Man lore. 

11 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Yeah, but looking at what’s going on with Heir to the Empire #1, it’s clear the current criteria for determining “key” and “first appearance” isn’t strictly governed by logic. 

I have a soft-spot for the above mini-comic because it was included with the first He-Man figure I got as a kid. And I believe the art in that first mini-book was done by the artist who helped design the characters and did the package artwork. It’s got a great pulp look and the story is more sword-and-sorcery than superhero which I like. 

I don’t think the similarities of the DC comic to the characterization and story elements in this mini-book are an accident any more than the similarities to the cartoon. 

I’m guessing that when Mattel approached DC about doing a comic they provided DC with the story premise that was going to be in the figure mini-books. While the comic book was in development the cartoon started production and DC was likely asked to start making the comic conform more to the cartoon. So you ended up with this weird amalgamation of the two. 

But I agree, think the mini-book is fundamental In establishing who He-Man is and what the rest of that universe is, even though the cartoon version eventually became what most people think of as “standard” He-Man lore. 

I know what you mean, me as a kid looks at that little book remembering the figures and thinks yep that was first. Those little books are rarer and impossible to get in good condition yet no where near the going price of dc #47. Wheres the justice in that 😂 

32 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I think everything you said was spot on. I only highlight this portion because this is exactly why the DC Comics Presents will undoubtedly remain as the market’s first appearance of He-Man. 

The mini comic also holds a special place in my heart and wish more of the folklore was incorporated into the series. 

Alas, I do not own any He-Man comics anymore, but similar to you all, give me a graded mini and I’d be happy lol

1 hour ago, Hamdingers said:

Doesn't a comic have to be available for purchase through normal distribution channels for it to be considered a true first appearance?

Sure.

I mean, the 1st appearance is written right on the CGC label for DC Comic Presents... so I’m clearly the minority and arguing against market beliefs.

But that’s what I laugh about, it’s all these technicalities that need to exist in order to justify something!

”Hmm! Well actually...!” :preach:

When in simple logic, clearly the mini came first over a year prior lol  

To your point though, what happens when a self published indie book only sold online is picked up by a larger publisher and distributed? Does the self published editions which came first no longer count?

That’s the problem with technicalities, there are always exceptions, followed by more technicalities... 

Edited by D2

17 hours ago, D2 said:

There's a "mini-comic" for Harley Quinn, too --- very similar to this situation for He-Man.  It's called "Batman: Almost Got 'Im" - a storybook accompanying a cassette tape.

s-l1600.jpg

There's value in both books - but the unusual size of the storybook (and the He-Man mini) tend to keep them off the top of "comic collector" want lists - since the medium of comics tends to have a standard size (or sizes, if magazines are included) and things outside those "norms" have an uphill climb into comic collections.

Another good example is Boba Fett.

His true first appearance in "collectible book of comic art" form is the graphic novel paperback from Marvel - which also includes an early design for Yoda (which is Yoda's first appearance).

Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back The Marvel Comics Version: Archie  Goodwin, George Lucas, Leigh Brackett, Lawrence Kasdan, Al Williamson,  Carlos Garzon: 9780960414604: Amazon.com: Books

The paperback is smaller than a comic, pretty much exactly what you picture for a regular paperback novel, but the contents are comic drawings (graphic novel, not just text).

The paperback was followed by magazine-sized Marvel Super Special #16 - which is the first "almost normal" comic size for Boba Fett, being comic magazine sized (and able to be CGC graded).

760028826_0502013004_3001.jpg.753fba5850ceb2e4c4e8b0332146a86d.jpg

There's also a treasury-size book for Empire Strikes Back that's early Boba Fett which is huge - very hard to store, protect, can't be CGC graded, and like most treasuries --- lower demand.

Another magazine-sized book that features the first ever Boba Fett on the cover is Star Wars Weekly #129, which is older than Star Wars #42.

1685192872_0502507007_3001.jpg.262d7a48b6dc5d9a675e83a10c5def19.jpg

So, fourth or fifth on the list is Star Wars #42... but it's the first one that's "like a regular comic" in every way, and tends to win the value battle when it comes to Boba Fett comic paper collectibles.

1766811489_0215884015_3001.jpg.44fd08b218e3d93e986e751a1a1cc779.jpg

Edited by valiantman

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Another good example is Boba Fett.

His true first appearance in "collectible book of comic art" form is the graphic novel paperback from Marvel - which also includes an early design for Yoda (which is Yoda's first appearance).

Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back The Marvel Comics Version: Archie  Goodwin, George Lucas, Leigh Brackett, Lawrence Kasdan, Al Williamson,  Carlos Garzon: 9780960414604: Amazon.com: Books

The paperback is smaller than a comic, pretty much exactly what you picture for a regular paperback novel, but the contents are comic drawings (graphic novel, not just text).

The paperback was followed by magazine-sized Marvel Super Special #16 - which is the first "almost normal" comic size for Boba Fett, being comic magazine sized (and able to be CGC graded).

760028826_0502013004_3001.jpg.753fba5850ceb2e4c4e8b0332146a86d.jpg

There's also a treasury-size book for Empire Strikes Back that's early Boba Fett which is huge - very hard to store, protect, can't be CGC graded, and like most treasuries --- lower demand.

Another magazine-sized book that features the first ever Boba Fett on the cover is Star Wars Weekly #129, which is older than Star Wars #42.

1685192872_0502507007_3001.jpg.262d7a48b6dc5d9a675e83a10c5def19.jpg

So, fourth or fifth on the list is Star Wars #42... but it's the first one that's "like a regular comic" in every way, and tends to win the value battle when it comes to Boba Fett comic paper collectibles.

1766811489_0215884015_3001.jpg.44fd08b218e3d93e986e751a1a1cc779.jpg

That is actually so interesting!

42 is always the one that people hunt for, so to your point, there really is a comic criteria that seems to win over the norm, or general census for collectors. 

hm, I appreciate that. Thanks for posting this. 

She ra has the same dilemma. Although mini comics aside. The first actual comic book for secret of the sword 1985.Based around the film but still an actual comoc book that cgc grade. There are some that say its 2014 comic masters of the universe but I think thats more daft than heman dilema seeing as secret of the sword is a real comic