• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The First Comic You Ever Purchased?
3 3

110 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2020 at 1:50 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Showing my age a bit. Bought this at Hale’s (candy store, newsstand, lottery tickets) on Main Street in Sidney, NY. 
A101CDF0-09DC-443B-B355-3E332FDFFA3C.thumb.jpeg.c889f696035659683edf00b7dc4dc8ae.jpeg

You're young. Modern, so to speak.

A lot of Silver and Bronze Age kids here.

54 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

You're young. Modern, so to speak.

A lot of Silver and Bronze Age kids here.

Yup. Much younger than some of the other first purchases. 

I was 10 at the time. Closest newsstand, or any real store was 10 miles away, so I couldn't ride my bike to get comics like most people. Eventually, I'd save up all my money from shoveling driveways and collecting cans from the side of the road to have my mom write a check to Mile High or some of the other mail order comic stores. The lengths I'd go to at the time...

Edited by awakeintheashes

45 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Yup. Much younger than some of the other first purchases. 

I was 10 at the time. Closest newsstand, or any real store was 10 miles away, so I couldn't ride my bike to get comics like most people. Eventually, I'd save up all my money from shoveling driveways and collecting cans from the side of the road to have my mom write a check to Mile High or some of the other mail order comic stores. The lengths I'd go to at the time...

For me as I continued to collect comics the first few years (around 1979-1981) I made money cutting grass and delivering my morning paper route. I’d collect from my customers each week and rode my ten-speed bicycle into town to pay for my papers.  I took my profit over to Gentilcore’s Confections, a candy store, deli and soda fountain, to buy some comics for the week. I’d pick out my comics, buy a chocolate milk and a Hostess fruit pie or Suzy-Q and sit at the bar and look at the comics.:angel:

Those were the days!

34 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Action Comics #1 (6/38) GEM MINT 10, then I woke up :cry:

Does there even exist a photograph from 1938 of a newsstand or other store displaying Action #1 for sale?  It would be amazing just to see that visual and imagine being there.  I wonder what else the book was competing with for customers' attention.

My friend invited me to his LCS. I had never been in a comic shop before. I probably purchased a 1/2 dozen books. This is the only one I remember since I kept reading the story all the way thru. 3 issues later I would be introduced to Lobo and he would be my favorite character for quite some time.

Polish_20201207_170050320.jpg

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Does there even exist a photograph from 1938 of a newsstand or other store displaying Action #1 for sale?  It would be amazing just to see that visual and imagine being there.  I wonder what else the book was competing with for customers' attention.

Not that I know of. Would be nice to see a photo, or even kids reading it.

On 12/3/2020 at 12:24 PM, KirbyJack said:

Marvel Super-Heroes 45

I currently own about 7 copies. I find them in dollar bins.

I dug out my copies, and discovered that I have lied to you fine people. I’m down to three!

4978E447-633C-4F05-9AAC-367B1A4DD1F3.thumb.jpeg.a3e75fcd5d6e2eaf1da5ba5ae71a87f5.jpeg
but just look at how massive the Hulk’s arm is compared to the woman. How could I not buy this comic?!

Edited by KirbyJack