• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Value and Shipping Questions

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys! This is my first submission to CGC and I might possibly do a second but I had a question regarding the order I just placed and the possible future order.

1. This most recent order was for 4 cards of $300 or greater value so I made the order, paid, and when I went to print the packaging slip it appears to just be what is placed in the box, not what Fedex would typically need. Do they scan the code and know what to do with the items?
  2. I'm looking at doing the bulk pricing for $8 per card with a minimum order of 50 cards and the total declared value of $100. I'm almost certain none of the cards I'd be submitting are above $100 but what if CGC finds one to be a higher quality than what I accessed? Let's say I thought it was max value $60 for a PSA 7 but then they thought it was an 8 or a 9 and now it's worth $100+; what does that do to the bulk pricing I paid for? Do I pay for each card individually now because I didn't submit values below $100 for all 50 cards?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Hi LTN, 

FWIW, I'm no expert (so folks, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). 

Question 1: You just printed the packing slip which should be included in the box and only serves to list what you've included/what CGC is expecting. I'd also include additional copies of the packing slip if you're submitting multiple bundles in the same outer box (e.g., a group of cards you'd like graded via economy; a separate group that you'd like graded express, etc.). What you'll need to ship the cards is a separate shipping label, purchased directly through your shipping carrier of choice (FedEx, USPS, UPS, etc.). CGC only takes care of shipping the cards back to you (based on the option you chose during your submission form/checkout. 

Question 2: I was confused about this as well -- I didn't know what the "Max. Value per Item" was on their pricing page, and how it compared to the declared value field on the submission form. After speaking with support, I was told that they are one in the same, and that if a card were to be graded above my declared value, the price would be adjusted for me. It's a bit tough for someone like me, who doesn't know what my grades will be upon completion. I doubt they'd charge the remainder of your bulk submission as individual cards, but it'd be worth checking out. I'd suggest giving them a call (I've always had someone on the line in <5 mins). 

On 12/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, egardina.pp said:

Hi LTN, 

FWIW, I'm no expert (so folks, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). 

Question 1: You just printed the packing slip which should be included in the box and only serves to list what you've included/what CGC is expecting. I'd also include additional copies of the packing slip if you're submitting multiple bundles in the same outer box (e.g., a group of cards you'd like graded via economy; a separate group that you'd like graded express, etc.). What you'll need to ship the cards is a separate shipping label, purchased directly through your shipping carrier of choice (FedEx, USPS, UPS, etc.). CGC only takes care of shipping the cards back to you (based on the option you chose during your submission form/checkout. 

Question 2: I was confused about this as well -- I didn't know what the "Max. Value per Item" was on their pricing page, and how it compared to the declared value field on the submission form. After speaking with support, I was told that they are one in the same, and that if a card were to be graded above my declared value, the price would be adjusted for me. It's a bit tough for someone like me, who doesn't know what my grades will be upon completion. I doubt they'd charge the remainder of your bulk submission as individual cards, but it'd be worth checking out. I'd suggest giving them a call (I've always had someone on the line in <5 mins). 

Thanks so much for the response! I didn't review until now so I apologize for being late but thank you for your thoughts!

On 12/3/2020 at 8:09 AM, LTN_Collectibles said:

Hey guys! This is my first submission to CGC and I might possibly do a second but I had a question regarding the order I just placed and the possible future order.

1. This most recent order was for 4 cards of $300 or greater value so I made the order, paid, and when I went to print the packaging slip it appears to just be what is placed in the box, not what Fedex would typically need. Do they scan the code and know what to do with the items?
  2. I'm looking at doing the bulk pricing for $8 per card with a minimum order of 50 cards and the total declared value of $100. I'm almost certain none of the cards I'd be submitting are above $100 but what if CGC finds one to be a higher quality than what I accessed? Let's say I thought it was max value $60 for a PSA 7 but then they thought it was an 8 or a 9 and now it's worth $100+; what does that do to the bulk pricing I paid for? Do I pay for each card individually now because I didn't submit values below $100 for all 50 cards?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

1. You need to pay for shipping to CGC separately, this was just the packing slip.

2. It's highly unlikely they will upcharge you unless you go way above. If you're sending in a base Charizard under the bulk pricing you are probably asking for an upcharge. But if it's cards that are around $100-150, probably not a huge deal and unlikely they'll upcharge you. The self-reported value is more for their coverage in case the card gets damaged/lost, so if it does happen you are covered.