• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Letitia Wright backlash Shuri recast
2 2

87 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2021 at 11:45 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

cannot wait for this thread to be locked and deleted. 

On 2/10/2021 at 6:14 PM, the blob said:

I think this nonsense has boiled over. Folks having concerns about a vaccine that was pushed through much faster than normal is hardly the same as [objectively...as in, I think they are :bigsmile:] offensive tweets or bona fide sexual harassment or whatever. I am in no mad rush to get the vaccine, although my wife has to for her job. Mainly, I think there are people who would benefit from it more than me and I am ok waiting my turn. No rush.

That was the point.  She posted what she did and was probably told to watch herself like Gina Carano was.  She realized that Disney money is a good money in her wallet.  Carano decided, like some others, and so laughably, that she has 'her rights'.  

When I was in college, when I worked for Disney at a retail level dealing with collectables, animation and higher end items, we were specifically told, that if we had any type of behavior that was contrary to the Disney image, that we would be let go.   You had to have your hair a certain way and so on.  If you had visible tattoos, you were non-hirable as that was not due to birth but your choice.  If women had multiple piercings they were allowed only a set of studs or small hoops.

If you made comments on TV that were racist, discriminatory or leading to general harm and it was revealed that you worked at Disney, you were let go.  

10 hours ago, jcjames said:

Wait, are you actually putting sound waves and electromagnetic waves on the same spectrum??

I'm glad you brought this up, but what makes you think they should be on a different spectrum? How do you think we communicate with mechanical waves through electromagnetic devices via cell phone? I had a teacher present me with the same problem, like I didn't understand how sound works. The problem is that people don't understand how magnetism works. My understanding is that people are confused about a vacuum trick that accelerates the spin of the magnetic poles of the atom, which disperses the mechanical waves. If the force of the mechanical wave is greater than the force of the vacuums suction, those waves should still travel through a vacuum also. This observation has separates sound into two forms, when they're one. Metals have their atomic structure at greater densities, allowing the alignment of their magnetic poles, whereas most matter does not. The pressure of an electromagnetic wave can reach farther, riding & bouncing off of other aligned poles, whereas mechanical waves disperse easily. Scientists don't know a fraction of what they claim, as our eyes are so imperfect that we need microscopes that can span the size of a bus to better study a molecule that's right in front of us. My post about the Theramin was meant to show that antenna tuned to our electromagnetic frequency can pick up those waves to play music through a speaker & a monitor should be able to make them visible. In ancient times, people knew how to manipulate the properties of stones with vibrations, aligning their atomic poles to have the same effect as metals. Ed Leedskalnin discovered this secret & created Coral Caste with it, saying that he knew the secrets of how the Pyramids were built. He also wrote books on magnetism but never revealed his secrets. Just looking up how modern science determined the speed of light, I found a reference back to Galileo's study of Jupiter's satellites, which are usually referred to as moons these days. We have a right to question the process & evaluate things ourselves. I just think the world would be a different place if information was shared rather than horded.

I feel the same about vaccines, as people deserve to know what they're putting in their body & what effects that material will have on them long term. Everyone's body has a different constitution, so there's no one size fits all & the mutability of COVID-19 makes vaccines less effective. We're expected to have regular injections so that we can keep the economy going, but what's going to be left of our economy if we don't think about the people within it? If they came out with speakers producing the right vibrations, I believe it could disrupt the molecules of COVID-19 & prevent further spread. Imagine wearing noise cancelling headphone type speakers rather than masks, gloves & hand sanitizers. Noise cancelling headphones manipulate sound alignments to block out other sound & since COVID-19 can spread from the pressure of our breathing, an external pressurized force should be able to disperse the molecules, like I mentioned above about mechanical waves in a vacuum. If I were a scientist that's studied this field for years, I'd try to invent something myself. I suppose I could invest the time & money getting the equipment, then testing the different vibrations on COVID-19 myself. It would be easier for someone working in this field, who already has access to the equipment though. I know it sounds like fantasy to most of you, but the right application can make it a reality.

I know some of you don't like these Spider-Man esque relations of cinematography to life, but I just saw Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The story starts off with a brawl in China where Indy is poisoned while exchanging the ashes of the Chinese emperor Nurhachi for a diamond & offered the antidote for the diamonds return, while Indy introduces his waiter as Wu Han, who pulls a gun on them in Indy's defense. They never show the intended use of Nurhachi's ashes though. I can't help notice a lot of irony in cinematography that relates to real world events. Maybe it's nothing, but I don't believe in coincidences. I know there has been news about seeds popping up all over from Chinese sellers that people are being warned not to plant. Sometimes I feel like we need a reminder of The Island of Dr. Moreau, but I understand that people would rather imagine they can trust those they rely on. Maybe I should just keep it to myself though, because people prefer a gentle lie to a harsh truth. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth watching all of this stuff, because my mind is generally calmer when it's not absorbed in modern technology.

3 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I'm glad you brought this up, but what makes you think they should be on a different spectrum? How do you think we communicate with mechanical waves through electromagnetic devices via cell phone? I had a teacher present me with the same problem, like I didn't understand how sound works.....

Because they are different.

Sound "waves" are not EM "waves", in a similar way that ocean "waves" are not EM "waves". 

31 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

That's not much of an explanation you're offering!

Sound is not an EM wave.

Sound requires a medium to travel, and it is the vibrational movement of the particles of that medium and nothing else.

EM does not require a medium to travel, and is not based on the vibrational movement of particles of that medium. 

That's why in space no one can hear you scream.... but they can still see you scream.

Have a great weekend!

Edited by jcjames

58 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

She realized that Disney money is a good money in her wallet.  Carano decided, like some others, and so laughably, that she has 'her rights'. 

Not laughable at all, she does have her rights. Just as Disney or pretty much any employer has the right to fire you. James Gunn made some interesting tweets and got fired by Disney. Where’s he working now? Disney. Depends on what you bring to the table and how much you can put in Disney’s pocket. 

4 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Sound is not an EM wave.

Sound requires a medium to travel, and it's vibrational movement of the particles of that medium and nothing else.

EM does not require a medium to travel, and is not based on the vibrational movement of particles of that medium. 

That's why in space no one can hear you scream.... but they can still see you scream.

Have a great weekend!

What do you think creates EM waves? What do you consider a medium? When I speak, sound travels through air & a vacuum sucking up that air & altering their vibrations, doesn't mean those vibrations don't travel.

Edited by chezmtghut

3 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Not laughable at all, she does have her rights. Just as Disney or pretty much any employer has the right to fire you. James Gunn made some interesting tweets and got fired by Disney. Where’s he working now? Disney. Depends on what you bring to the table and how much you can put in Disney’s pocket. 

What's laughable is how people clamor on about how they have rights and then act surprised when their boss fires them.  

On 2/10/2021 at 8:46 PM, Oddball said:

The vaccine was offered to all us here at work and 90% of our paramedics declined it. I’m not in the medical field but it gave me pause. It’s most likely fine and I’ve been injected with so much frap before deployments in the military, what’s one more? I’ll get it eventually, when the vaccine reaches a year of study and circulation. Just waiting a few months has seen changes like the single dose now instead of double. 

https://zeynep.substack.com/p/why-you-should-take-any-vaccine

4 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Interesting article. I’m still not open to taking “any” vaccine. I decline the flu vaccine offered at my job every year. I have caught the flu once every decade. I do plan on getting the Covid vaccine by the end of the year. No hurry. 

30 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

It just sounds like they're scrambling to find answers & keep people calm, but know that COVID-19 mutates faster than they can create vaccines to fight it. What's the point in vaccines if they're practically useless to fight the virus by the time they're administered? If we learn to take better care of ourselves & our immune systems, it would be more effective.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:31 AM, chezmtghut said:

Maybe Letitia has a point! Doesn’t the description of the Novavax vaccine sound very similar to what they describe in the comics? A recombinant protein grown in insect cells. These vaccines haven’t been tested for any significant time to see long term results, 

Sorry, but recombinant vaccines for other viral and bacterial pathogens have been on the market and in wide use for a number of years now, including those targeting Influenza and bacterial pneumonia.  Beyond that, recombinant protein therapeutics have been in the marketplace for 40 years now and counting.  Perhaps you're fearful of an insulin product that's generated as a recombinant protein in a yeast cell expression system.  But it's not only saved the lives of tens of millions of type I diabetics around the world, but hundreds of millions of pigs, who before the recombinant technology was developed were used for insulin extraction and purification from their pancreas in order to derive enough of the hormone to treat type I diabetes.

So the entirety of the quote above is false.

Edited by namisgr

16 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Sorry, but recombinant vaccines for other viral and bacterial pathogens have been on the market and in wide use for a number of years now, including those targeting Influenza and bacterial pneumonia.  Beyond that, recombinant protein therapeutics have been in the marketplace for 40 years now and counting.  Perhaps you're fearful of an insulin product that's generated as a recombinant protein in a yeast cell expression system.  But it's not only saved the lives of tens of millions of type I diabetics around the world, but hundreds of millions of pigs, who before the recombinant technology was developed were used for insulin extraction and purification from their pancreas in order to derive enough of the hormone to treat type I diabetes.

So the entirety of the quote above is false.

I was just quoting what the news posted & it said the proteins were grown in insect cells. These COVID-19 vaccines haven't been tested for significant amount of time either. I wasn't talking about the entire history of vaccines though. I'm not saying that they don't have any uses either, but relying on vaccines or injections will never cure you. Understanding why people develops these diseases & changing our behavior can help though. Wouldn't you agree that people deserve to know what's in these vaccines & how those ingredients effect their bodies long term? Knowing that chickenpox can lay dormant & manifest as shingles decades after infection, don't we have the responsibility to ask these questions?

2 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I was just quoting what the news posted & it said the proteins were grown in insect cells. These COVID-19 vaccines haven't been tested for significant amount of time either. I wasn't talking about the entire history of vaccines though. I'm not saying that they don't have any uses either, but relying on vaccines or injections will never cure you. Understanding why people develops these diseases & changing our behavior can help though. Wouldn't you agree that people deserve to know what's in these vaccines & how those ingredients effect their bodies long term? Knowing that chickenpox can lay dormant & manifest as shingles decades after infection, don't we have the responsibility to ask these questions?

This thread is now actually about as exciting as watching protein grow in insect cells...

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

This thread is now actually about as exciting as watching protein grow in insect cells...

giphy.gif

I didn't realize this was being viewed as entertainment. I'll try to crack more jokes. I'm sure scientists get excited by watching proteins grow in insect cells, so I guess it's all relative.

On 2/11/2021 at 8:46 AM, Angel of Death said:

My grandmother works in Administration with epidemiologists. As of X-Mas Eve, they are not suggesting any of the vaccines. They are not advocating against it, but they are not recommending or requiring it (yet). I'm not sure if anything has changed since then. Considering that 'we' haven't developed a vaccine like this so quickly, I think that it's logical to be cautious of potential effects that may not yet be evident. Same with the virus itself. What's "long-term"? Not sure. That's not my speciality (Obi-Wan).

These vaccines were rushed, out of necessity , to development and delivery.  Isn't there a possibility that they could have unknown and harmful long term side effects?  We've seen what happened with Thalidomide.

17 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

These vaccines were rushed, out of necessity , to development and delivery.  Isn't there a possibility that they could have unknown and harmful long term side effects?  We've seen what happened with Thalidomide.

No, the possibility is virtually zero.

Thalidomide is a small organic molecule not found in nature.  And like all small organic synthetic molecule drugs not found in nature, it has the potential to unexpectedly interfere with physiological processes in addition to the one being targeted for therapeutic benefit.  And it's these so-called off-target effects that can cause side effects, sometimes quite serious.

The approved vaccines are not small organic molecules.  They are RNA polymers, of which there are tens of thousands of varieties in every nucleated cell and in every organ and tissue of the body.  Every plant and animal that humans consume has them, too.  RNAs contain the genetic instructions needed for cells to synthesize all of their protein constituents, and are large strings of the four ribonucleotide bases (adenine (A), guanine (G), cytosine (C), or uracil (U)) strung together in different orders.  To deliver one that codes for cellular production of the SARS-CoV2 Spike protein inside of the muscle cells of the shoulder at the injection site, the RNA is  encased in lipid nanoparticles (i.e., fat droplets of very small size).  Unless you've found a way to prepare foods without using cooking oils or only eat foods with zero fat content, these are a class of substance that virtually everyone consumes every day, and are a major part of the membrane of every cell in the body.

The bottom line is that the COVID vaccines are made up of natural components which the human body contains in large quantities.  They will be studied exhaustively for any untoward intermediate- and long-term effects, while being used to save millions of lives around the world (in just a single year, there have been a reported 2.4 million COVID deaths).  So far, with human experience with the vaccines of about nine months and counting, no serious adverse events have been identified beyond the fewer than 1 in 100,000 serious anaphylactic reaction in those prone to anaphylaxis, a rare side effect that's been highly publicized and is prepared for in advance at sites where the vaccines are being given.

Edited by namisgr