• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Previews #95 CGC 9.8 $7,500?

77 posts in this topic

There's a lot of discussion on Facebook that the same "buyer" is shilling all of those Previews and that perhaps another buyer believed the hype and actually bought one of them but its more likely that they're all shilled/fake sales.  Who knows if its true and fiction could become reality regardless.

There's a site called Covrprice that issues lists in their newsletters telling you what's been hot the previous week, how much of an increase, and why the book is going up. They finally mentioned this book last week, even though it's been on peoples' radar for a long time. I had a nice raw copy that was close to NM, and sold it on ebay for $300 back in July. It kills me to think of how many copies of that book I've seen in dollar bins and passed on. I don't understand the mentality of newer collectors regarding variants, first appearances, and 9.8 slabbed modern comics, but there is no shortage of buyers willing to invest thousands of dollars in a comic at the drop of a hat. And the back issue market as a whole is benefitting from it. I would hesitate disposing of just about any comic presently, because people are really paying big money for books once considered worthless. Or you can complain on the boards since you don't understand.

16 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

This is why I refuse to collect anything ASM ~361 and higher.

This looks like a cartoon animated screenshot placed as a cover. Was this taken from the animated movie?

image.png.ae2da21f260b62f9debdcd8eeea34cb0.png

No ASM higher than 328 for me, really, although it took me a few Larsen issues to quit for good. I did pick up 361(2nd), and 362/3 upon the instant popularity of Carnage, as well as the anniverary "x00" issues since, and occasional #1 Spidey reboots, but man, am I glad I saw this thread.

I actually have a complete run of that Marvel Previews comic-sized catalog issues, all three volumes. I never expected any of them to have any value, but they were free with my Diamond Previews each month, so I just kept putting them aside, as reference material. The ones I got weren't bagged, but they were also inside the larger Diamond Previews catalog, which protected them. Basically, any wear to the ones I had came from my absent-minded handling of them as I used them to place my monthly Marvel order,

Anyhow, seeing this thread made me dig out the 3 double-wide Diamond boxes I stored them in, hoping I hadn't been eating a sandwich while ordering from #95.

The results:

Not too shabby, just a touch of wear on the lower corners. (The seeming fingerprints on the black border are actually on my scanner glass).

And I've got the other 150 issues (or whatever it is) from this title all in similar condition. So many "first appearances"! :tonofbricks:

Well, am I rich?

m95a.jpg

m95b.jpg

3 hours ago, jdandns said:

No ASM higher than 328 for me, really, although it took me a few Larsen issues to quit for good. I did pick up 361(2nd), and 362/3 upon the instant popularity of Carnage, as well as the anniverary "x00" issues since, and occasional #1 Spidey reboots, but man, am I glad I saw this thread.

I actually have a complete run of that Marvel Previews comic-sized catalog issues, all three volumes. I never expected any of them to have any value, but they were free with my Diamond Previews each month, so I just kept putting them aside, as reference material. The ones I got weren't bagged, but they were also inside the larger Diamond Previews catalog, which protected them. Basically, any wear to the ones I had came from my absent-minded handling of them as I used them to place my monthly Marvel order,

Anyhow, seeing this thread made me dig out the 3 double-wide Diamond boxes I stored them in, hoping I hadn't been eating a sandwich while ordering from #95.

The results:

Not too shabby, just a touch of wear on the lower corners. (The seeming fingerprints on the black border are actually on my scanner glass).

And I've got the other 150 issues (or whatever it is) from this title all in similar condition. So many "first appearances"! :tonofbricks:

Well, am I rich?

m95a.jpg

m95b.jpg

Awesome stash! (thumbsu a 9.6 goes for $4,500 ish. I'd get that thing to CGC on a fast track and flip, depending on reader marks and slight spin creases, could use a press. That lower right corner may drop the grade.

17 hours ago, dem1138 said:

There's a lot of discussion on Facebook that the same "buyer" is shilling all of those Previews and that perhaps another buyer believed the hype and actually bought one of them but its more likely that they're all shilled/fake sales.  Who knows if its true and fiction could become reality regardless.

I wouldn't put anything past the market manipulators.

Well all, I dont post here often, hardly at all actually but I was the seller of the raw Previews 95 that sold for 4K a few days ago. I actually received this from DCBS, bagged and boarded it and almost threw it away along with the rest of the previews a few months ago.  Turns out the buyer after I shipped the mag asked me to reroute it away from his ebay/paypal address. You all know what that means.It goes somewhere else, he gets the book and claims it was never received and I violated policy a s a seller. Caught this in time, and the shipment while still in transit is being rerouted back to me. Whether or not there is any value in this book, I leave for others to debate but thought I would share this all with you.

FYI, as many of you know, I am also the same guy that runs ComicBooks For Kids! (https://www.facebook.com/comicbooksforkids/) , the industry charity that provides comic books to kids in hospitals and cancer centers across all 50 states. This was my personal ebay account.  We also ship to the military when we have material inappropriate for the kiddos.  Soooo, onwrad and upward and thought I would share. More then likely, I will be considering 2nd chance offers. Not sure yet. Best to all of you and best of holidays to all. Mark

On 12/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, mark71517 said:

Well all, I dont post here often, hardly at all actually but I was the seller of the raw Previews 95 that sold for 4K a few days ago. I actually received this from DCBS, bagged and boarded it and almost threw it away along with the rest of the previews a few months ago.  Turns out the buyer after I shipped the mag asked me to reroute it away from his ebay/paypal address. You all know what that means.It goes somewhere else, he gets the book and claims it was never received and I violated policy a s a seller. Caught this in time, and the shipment while still in transit is being rerouted back to me.

Not sure what you mean about "caught this in time" when he asked you to reroute it after you shipped.  You shipped it to the Paypal/ebay address.  Job was done.  All you had to do was not reroute it, yes?

On 12/11/2020 at 1:03 AM, jdandns said:

The results:

Well, am I rich?

m95a.jpg

m95b.jpg

Thought I'd follow up this post to say I sold this raw for about $2,100 a few weeks back.

Buyer was very happy with it. Luckily, I didn't spend a lot of time ordering from it. When I dug out the issue before it (with the UF #4 preview), I found I wasn't so gentle with it and that one's more likely Fine+, maybe VF-.

Why hasn't MP #94 caught fire? It's Mile's true first appearance in print if we're using preview books as key books (it shows a gallery of all the UF4 variant 1:25 variant covers - a more iconic image of Miles IMO). #95 is just his first COVER in print. Neither are his first appearance in COMIC BOOKS.

20 minutes ago, Mikey C said:

Why hasn't MP #94 caught fire? It's Mile's true first appearance in print if we're using preview books as key books (it shows a gallery of all the UF4 variant 1:25 variant covers - a more iconic image of Miles IMO). #95 is just his first COVER in print. Neither are his first appearance in COMIC BOOKS.

I’m guessing 94 doesn’t look great in a slab like 95.

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m guessing 94 doesn’t look great in a slab like 95.

I 100% agree with you but it doesn't discount the fact that #94 is his 1st true appearance if you play in the preview arena. #95 would only be his first full cover. If the way a slab looks makes it more valuable to some people, more power to them. Everyone collects different.

1 hour ago, Mikey C said:

I 100% agree with you but it doesn't discount the fact that #94 is his 1st true appearance if you play in the preview arena. #95 would only be his first full cover. If the way a slab looks makes it more valuable to some people, more power to them. Everyone collects different.

Trying to understand the current market is often an exercise in futility.

2 hours ago, Mikey C said:

If this does take off (as Ebay listings appear to be testing) then is the market going to crash on preview 95?

2 hours ago, Mikey C said:

It is a Preview of things to come. It's like saying Dream Walker #0 is Goons 1st, but it is labeled as a 4 page panel of a preview to come. 2c

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW