• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzzetta's FOURTH Guess The Grade Contest - Ends 2020-12-12 at 12 Midnight EST
7 7

196 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

PM sent

Not about this you're not lol 

Not even @PeteFromPetesBasement knows what grades the books received and he asked me through text.   Now, if anyone wants to know why I often tag him, it's because I have known Pete for many years before we were on the CGC boards.  He logs on once in awhile so I imagine there being something fun about him logging on to find a mountain of alerts.  

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

That's not how the scores are tallied though.  I add up the absolute value of the difference in grade for each individual book.  I just compared the numbers on your graph and they do not match up as to how I am keeping track.  

Each person's score for each individual book is Absolute Value of the (Actual Grade - Guessed Grade).  Then add up all of the absolute values.  Lowest score wins.    So I made a mock table showing how the two lead to differences in placing. In your tally Ringo wins.  In my tally John wins.   The reason why I do it that way so that it balances out the score in case someone believes a book depreciated from the pre CGC grade. 

1661131959_ScreenShot2020-12-05at8_44_51AM.thumb.png.71db89fc3ea69ee55b3bc1eeca1c3fee.png

What is your problem with my table that shows the guesses?

It is merely for comparison sake-- I'm not grading your contest. Stop freaking out.

Trust me-- if I were grading your contest-- I would not repeat the same values (final grade for instance) in every single person score of each book. This merely shows that the total of each person set of guesses is a total of X amount-- so they can now if they are similar to someone else.

12 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

What is your problem with my table that shows the guesses?

It is merely for comparison sake-- I'm not grading your contest. Stop freaking out.

Trust me-- if I were grading your contest-- I would not repeat the same values (final grade for instance) in every single person score of each book. This merely shows that the total of each person set of guesses is a total of X amount-- so they can now if they are similar to someone else.

Oh there was a freak out but not toward you.  It was toward myself.   When you posted that and I saw different numbers, I truly thought that I had screwed up.   So, I ran the numbers back and forth to make sure I was covering every angle.  But I am not extremely proficient in excel as I know a lot of people around these parts use it way more than I do.   So I was running the numbers to make sure that I myself got it right.  I promise... no ill intent in that post. 

And what do you mean with the showing the total on the X amount?  I am very open to suggestion when it comes to excel. 

Edited by Buzzetta

image.thumb.png.cd18da8b0a0efe4b669ed4b25efee547.png

The total on column "I" is used as a quick way to compare who might have a matching guess. In other words-- if I were to submit the exact same guess as someone else, I would immediately not be able to win 1st place (entry factor). It is a simple way to review how your score might be repeating someone else.

11 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

If someone guesses them all correctly-- the contest ends immediately. Also-- according to the rules-- the tie breaker goes to the person who submits earlier (another reason I am keeping track of the guesses and entry position). And I get yelled at for it. Awesome.

At no point were you yelled at. In fact I was going to ask if you could teach me a better way.   If you would not mind, I would like to send you the data sheet at the end and see how you would improve it.  The sheet that I am keeping track on has the 'realized' scores so that definitely comes into play.  So since the lowest score demonstrates the lowest absolute deviation from the grades if anything hits a "0" it shows that someone nailed all the grades.   I never yelled at you.  I am actually asking you, if you do not mind to help me build a better mouse trap.   

Just now, allthingskryptonite said:

I think we all know which one :bigsmile:

lol You never know... Joey once pressed a Hulk 181 PGX 6.5 to a CGC 9.0. 

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

At no point were you yelled at. In fact I was going to ask if you could teach me a better way.   If you would not mind, I would like to send you the data sheet at the end and see how you would improve it.  The sheet that I am keeping track on has the 'realized' scores so that definitely comes into play.  So since the lowest score demonstrates the lowest absolute deviation from the grades if anything hits a "0" it shows that someone nailed all the grades.   I never yelled at you.  I am actually asking you, if you do not mind to help me build a better mouse trap.   

Sure-- I can do that. Sorry I got so defensive.

I actually just went ahead and added the method for computing the absolute value scores. I am also making one that counts up the total Bulls eyes. This is a side spread to the original one I created. I enjoy this type of stuff and do it on several boards for various contests. (take a look at this one for example: https://www.thebullspen.com/topic/154846-basketball-prediction-contest-bulls-vs-va-tech-sunday/page/3/#comments )

Anyway-- given enough time, I will eventually develop a nice display of many contests. Though some find my use of colors a little unnerving.

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Not about this you're not lol 

Not even @PeteFromPetesBasement knows what grades the books received and he asked me through text.   Now, if anyone wants to know why I often tag him, it's because I have known Pete for many years before we were on the CGC boards.  He logs on once in awhile so I imagine there being something fun about him logging on to find a mountain of alerts.  

Thx for the grades! :acclaim:

1 hour ago, kav said:

Thx for the grades! :acclaim:

Crosses you off the list of people who get things if I get hit by a bus. @jaybuck43 - please change the Strange Adventures comics out for some Marvel Star Comics: Fraggle Rock or something... 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Crosses you off the list of people who get things if I get hit by a bus. @jaybuck43 - please change the Strange Adventures comics out for some Marvel Star Comics: Fraggle Rock or something... 

I was just kidden folks-

18 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

:roflmao:

1288048918_giphy(4).gif.cf41e1b0994d32ffb802902ba19261e9.gif