• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about realistic pricing expectation
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Howdy! I have a very specific question about comic book pricing. I have a received a large comic collection has an inheritance. It includes Iron Man 2-300 (missing one key #54, missing a couple other issues, includes a few duplicates including "Demon in a Bottle"). Grades range from 3-8; older ones are a little beat-up but a few gems. I want to sell some of these comics or the whole lot to help pay for tuition. What can I expect to get for this specific collection of Iron Man? What would you pay? What would you scoff at? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Eddie Curzon

Very good advice given above.

You do have other avenues open to you, most will require work on your part, grading, pricing, listing, shipping, etc.

eBay sold auction prices are the most exact FMV price you will find since the sold auction price is what people are actually paying for these books, be sure the book sold is in the same grade/condition as your book and had a least 5 bidders, being sure there was not a bidding war that drove the final price up.

1)The quickest, easiest way is to sell to an LCS, however, not very profitable for you, you would literally only get pennies on the dollar for each book.

2)List them for sale on this site

3)As already stated, https://www.mycomicshop.com/?gclid=CLS_6I_Q8cUCFYYUHwodbhUAag

MCS is not going to be interested in purchasing all of those books for themselves, go to Selling Your Comics to view all of your options, sell directly, auction, consignment, you can call them to discuss your options, according to the site they will buy a full collection of books with a cover price of $.35 cents or less which only includes up to issue 121 for you, that leaves you with a lot of "drek".

4)Facebook, Yes a lot will scoff at this, not all Facebook groups are filled with Scam artists, I belong to four Comic Groups on Facebook, not all groups allow sales, find a few that do and are the same genre you are looking to sell, follow the groups rules for buying/selling/listing and wait for replies.

Just be sure to be honest and get your payments through PayPal Goods and Services prior to shipping, you may get lucky and be able to sell them locally.

If you are not sure about grading so you can get a fair estimated price you can always post books in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade" section and compare what the group says about grade to what you may have determined by using the grading standards.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

GOOD LUCK!!!

In general, the more time you spend learning about it will get you more money, BUT the time spent might not be worth your time.  Of course you won’t know it was worth it until you take the time.

so good luck

I am imagining I have these books...here is how I would very roughly value them

Issues #2-100 (if lower grade on average and assuming 55 is there, first Thanos)- $1000 or so would be a reasonable realm

Issues #100-200 (assuming Fine average)- $300-500

Issues 200-300 (assuming closer to VF range) $300-400

Total rough value= $1600-$1900

Obviously if conditions are lower, I can expect the lower end. The later stuff (150-300) are tougher sells unless VF or better. If I it priced within that range, I would think "okay I think this is being fair". I would EXPECT someone to offer lower (maybe $800-1200) and to move it all at once, maybe that is an offer that I would just take. Or perhaps I notice a few of the more valuable books (like IM #55) is VF or better, and take the time to grade that book whilst selling the rest. Some things to consider.

Please remember the most likely buyer is not an ultra iron man super fan waiting his whole life to buy your collection at the highest possible price.  It would most likely be a dealer hoping to resale smaller or individual chunks at a profiT.  

you move save time and effort by selling in bulk, but lose money.  someone else wants to be paid for the time and effort of selling not in bulk.  That’s the buyer’s mindset.  Good luck