• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Upgrade Reasonable?
3 3

11 posts in this topic

I have decided that I would like to upgrade my copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Here are two books that I am willing to trade for an upgrade: Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 0.5 and Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 8.5.

AF15.jpg.44bfb9e1f66ac3f2ce4973cc3a75b1d0.jpg     Hulk181.jpg.19c6cae66bf60233768326442d3ec4a1.jpg

According to GoCollect, an AF #15 CGC 0.5 is worth $8,000; an IH #181 CGC 8.5 is worth $4,900; and an AF #15 CGC 2.0 is worth $13,500.

According to GPAnalysis, an AF #15 CGC 0.5 is worth $8,500; an IH #181 CGC 8.5 is worth $4,800; and an AF #15 CGC 2.0 is worth $13,600.

I would also be willing to kick in up to $1,000 in cash to close this deal.

Based on the numbers above, are my books plus cash a reasonable offer for an AF #15 CGC 2.0? Based on what I have seen, I haven't found anyone selling an AF #15 CGC 2.0 for anything close to $13,500. There are some AF #15 CGC 2.0s on Ebay that are listed at over $20,000.

Do you think I would have a chance of swinging a trade with someone? Or is my only recourse to sell both of these books here on the board, and then hope that I can find a reasonably priced AF #15 CGC 2.0? My only problem is that I would be uncomfortable selling these books with no guarantee that I can get an AF #15 CGC 2.0 for a reasonable price.

There are many people here that are far more knowledgeable than me about values and possible trades. I would REALLY appreciate it if you could give me some advice. (thumbsu

And before anyone asks, I do like Wolverine, but no where near as much as I like Spider-Man. Having a nicer copy of AF #15 is much more important than having a very nice copy of IH #181. If I can swing this deal, if I feel the itch to own another IH #181, I would be fine with a CGC 4.0 copy.

In light of the fact that you don’t want to give up your books...

Your best bet might be to win one at auction and hopefully sell your books above quickly.

Most of the auction houses have payment plans.

I’m not sure on what FMV is for a 2.0 but trades are notoriously hard to pull off.

3 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I have decided that I would like to upgrade my copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Here are two books that I am willing to trade for an upgrade: Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 0.5 and Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 8.5.

AF15.jpg.44bfb9e1f66ac3f2ce4973cc3a75b1d0.jpg     Hulk181.jpg.19c6cae66bf60233768326442d3ec4a1.jpg

According to GoCollect, an AF #15 CGC 0.5 is worth $8,000; an IH #181 CGC 8.5 is worth $4,900; and an AF #15 CGC 2.0 is worth $13,500.

According to GPAnalysis, an AF #15 CGC 0.5 is worth $8,500; an IH #181 CGC 8.5 is worth $4,800; and an AF #15 CGC 2.0 is worth $13,600.

I would also be willing to kick in up to $1,000 in cash to close this deal.

Based on the numbers above, are my books plus cash a reasonable offer for an AF #15 CGC 2.0? Based on what I have seen, I haven't found anyone selling an AF #15 CGC 2.0 for anything close to $13,500. There are some AF #15 CGC 2.0s on Ebay that are listed at over $20,000.

Do you think I would have a chance of swinging a trade with someone? Or is my only recourse to sell both of these books here on the board, and then hope that I can find a reasonably priced AF #15 CGC 2.0? My only problem is that I would be uncomfortable selling these books with no guarantee that I can get an AF #15 CGC 2.0 for a reasonable price.

There are many people here that are far more knowledgeable than me about values and possible trades. I would REALLY appreciate it if you could give me some advice. (thumbsu

And before anyone asks, I do like Wolverine, but no where near as much as I like Spider-Man. Having a nicer copy of AF #15 is much more important than having a very nice copy of IH #181. If I can swing this deal, if I feel the itch to own another IH #181, I would be fine with a CGC 4.0 copy.

right now it seems that anything good is selling for far over gpa values. i would just keep your eyes open for the af15 you like and think you can afford, and go for it if you get the chance. i've just noticed every single book i was considering the last few weeks sell for way too much money at auction. it might be time to lay low for a bit until the market cools off. 

Stop thinking in terms of equal value on paper. Cmon you've just made it much much harder for the seller to get his money out. Your only leverage lies in your cost basis on your books. If low enough it allows you to crank up the cash component so that the paper value of your end exceeds his paper value by at least 25% if not 50%.

If the positions were reversed, what would it take to get you to agree?

I think selling the books privately then buying the AF15 you want will give you the most flexibility. 

There will be dealers happy to trade for both of those books. But they will be looking to resell and won't give you retail prices. 

Finding an individual looking to make that trade isn't impossible,  just harder. 

14 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Stop thinking in terms of equal value on paper. Cmon you've just made it much much harder for the seller to get his money out. Your only leverage lies in your cost basis on your books. If low enough it allows you to crank up the cash component so that the paper value of your end exceeds his paper value by at least 25% if not 50%.

If the positions were reversed, what would it take to get you to agree?

I'm no expert, but I have made several trades, and it always has been value for value. I might have had to pay extra or receive extra in cash, but it has always been equal value for equal value.

As for my thoughts on the positions being reversed, it would depend on several circumstances. First, does the person that has an AF #15 CGC 2.0 have another copy, or is it his/her only copy? If my copy has to replace his/her copy, would s/he find my copy acceptable? Second, does this person want/need to have a very nice copy of IH #181? Third, is this person motivated to sell?

Also, if I understand your arithmetic, should I expect a buyer for my AF #15 to offer me $10,000 (25% increase) to $12,000 (50% increase) for my book? Should I expect a buyer for my IH #181 to offer me $6,000 (25% increase) to $7,200 (50% increase) for my book? I could offer these two books for these prices, but I sincerely doubt that I would get any offers. Technically, I am a seller also, so wouldn't it be reasonable for me to ask for higher than FMV so I can get my money out?

I apologize for being argumentative, but I don't understand why I should have to offer my books for FMV, but the person who owns the AF #15 2.0 should expect to get more than FMV. Yes, I understand that I have boxed myself into a corner by offering my two books plus cash for the AF #15 2.0. Yes, I realize the seller has the leverage, which is why I am willing to offer $1,000 - $2,000 above FMV to close the deal. However, like most people, I don't have $15,000 just laying around. I really need to sell the books I currently own before I can make an offer on the AF #15 2.0. And, as I said previously, I am uncomfortable in selling these two books with no guarantee that I will be able to buy a higher grade copy of AF #15. I figured that this type of trade would be difficult to pull off, but I was more interested in, "Is this in the realm of possibility?" From the responses I have gotten, it seems that this might be possible, but is highly unlikely.

Edited by Math Teacher

4 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

It seems to me like step one is finding a potential trade partner, THEN haggling about the details. 

No? 

True. But my primary concern was to find out if this is even a worthwhile endeavor. I don't want to invest a lot of time if most AF #15 owners would reject my offer out of hand.

34 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

True. But my primary concern was to find out if this is even a worthwhile endeavor. I don't want to invest a lot of time if most AF #15 owners would reject my offer out of hand.

Your trade partner would likely be a dealer for this kind of trade.

The sad but inescapable truth is that whoever is offering the deal is in a weaker negotiating position and typically will be expected to make concessions in order to make the deal happen.

Yes, there is a chance that you find a highly motivated seller with an AF 15 2.0 who also happens to be interested in your lower-grade copy as well as your IH 181.  Barring that, it is hard to get a deal on your terms because you're fighting against the perception that you're essentially asking the other party for a "favor" -- I know that's not exactly the right word, but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

Here's the good news:  both of the books you're willing to let go are strong, in-demand books.  It's not unrealistic to imagine getting FMV with no fees with a successful sales thread on this board.  You won't have to find that unicorn who happens to want to downgrade an AF 15 and also happens to want an IH 181, all at precisely the grades you are offering / requesting.  You just need to find someone who wants an entry-level AF 15 (not hard) plus someone else who wants a high-grade but not nosebleed copy of IH 181 (again, not hard).

It is then not unrealistic to imagine getting an acceptable deal on the 2.0 you're looking for, though some patience may be required.  You will not have to agonize if the 2.0 offered by the magic unicorn who's willing to do your trade deal doesn't have the page quality, eye appeal, or other qualities that will make you genuinely happy.  You get to shop for the book you really want with no other strings attached, and you'll be in a stronger position to get what you want out of the deal.

So I agree with those who are advising you that the sell-and-buy path is much more likely to work out for you than the trade path.  Of course it costs you nothing to put up a WTT thread and see if you hit paydirt, but I think it's probably a good idea to be willing to adjust on the fly if you get straight purchase offers on your books that you could be happy with.

Best of luck.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14