• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a pressing make a difference in grades worthy of the press?

11 posts in this topic

I have collected comics as a kid, collecting in the 80s picking some up from the 70s from older kids in my neighborhood growing up. Some were just not kept well and some actually look surprisingly good. So my question is this, for a normal wear to light use comic, many from late 70s and early 80s, do people presss them all, most, some...if so how do you decide what to get pressed and what not to press. If something is really in what appears to be good shape, given the age and time and non-care in some cases is it reasonable to think every one would benefit from a pressing? I hope this makes some sense.

People press for two reasons (at least the books I get in).

1. Monetary reason. The higher the grade, the higher the asking price. 

2. Condition. I get in books (not many in comparison) that people ask to have pressed just so they present better in a Mylar, etc. 

At a certain point it is better to just buy a book in better shape, compared to the costs of the pressing, with the exception of sentimental value. i.e. first book they ever owned or purchased. 

If you’re talking about books from that era and depending in the key.. a .5 or 1 pt bump can raise the value significantly . Visually a book that’s wrinkled or dirty can be improved and thus part of the fun as a collector at least for me , buying a 4.0 and ending up with a 5.0 , but keep in mind - not ALL books are improvable and you’re paying $ to ship , press  and then to be graded so be sure it’s worth it before you commit 

Great advice...

All I could add is that there are times when a really sharp book has a flaw or flaws that I'm sure can be eliminated with a proper press, and the improvement will be significant (like a 7.5 book will become a 9.4). Then it's worth it to me from an aesthetic point of view...

The best points have been made but I will add a quick note...

The best way that I have found determines whether a press will really help is holding a book in the correct lighting. This exposes it to indentations and such that you may not see otherwise. These indentations, many times, can be pressed out. Same thing with non colour breaking bends and bumps and such. Otherwise, if colour is broken and the book is flat, it is unlikely a press will do much at all to the grade. It was probably a 8.0 before press and after.

However, one area I feel does improve a lot of books is cleaning, especially silver and bronze age issues from the late 60s and through the 70s. Notorious for having white back covers and for collecting any and all dirt, much of which can be cleaned away to visibly improve the book greatly and likely also help towards a grade bump.

Edit: When I say cleaning, I mean a dry cleaning with no chemicals. 

Edited by comicginger1789

Guys, this is a HUGE help! My intention is to sell a few and use those funds to really fund pressing and grading the ones I want to keep in a collection as I move forward. Thinning out the herd a bit so to speak. I have comics that I read as I grew up that may only grade a 5 or 6, but the corners and binding/staples look great, so I think it would help to have the slight kinks on the cover pressed out. What an amazing forum, as I get back into collecting I will be checking in here often. Again, you guys are great and your help is MUCH appreciated! Cheers!

2 hours ago, Habsfreak said:

And I didn’t even know a cleaning was an option. I’ll do some more research on that as well.

There are some folks here with a lot of knowledge and experience on that subject...and patience is a virtue...  :gossip:

Edited by The Lions Den

@Habsfreak

before you press any of your books I think it is a very good idea to post the better looking books in the "please grade my" thread. Get a consensus of the grade. Once you have an idea of the grades of your books you can then get a better idea of whether it is worth the cost of pressing since you are selling. Some 80's books have value but most do not due to how available they are ( no shortage of copies )