• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lord of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons

15 posts in this topic

I've been reading some of the comments in the Moderns that are heating up thread. While most of us have had times when we sold too soon, or didn't pull the trigger on a great opportunity, it has become apparent that the current volatility of the market has the lamentations flowing at an accelerated rate for some. Weep and gnash no longer.

What I would like to offer up is a little example of someone that sold too soon. 

Yes, he made a profit at the time. Looking on it now however... Please, a little respect…for I am dzminn, Lord of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.”

lordofidiots.jpeg

13 minutes ago, dzminn said:

I've been reading some of the comments in the Moderns that are heating up thread. While most of us have had times when we sold too soon, or didn't pull the trigger on a great opportunity, it has become apparent that the current volatility of the market has the lamentations flowing at an accelerated rate for some. Weep and gnash no longer.

What I would like to offer up is a little example of someone that sold too soon. 

Yes, he made a profit at the time. Looking on it now however... Please, a little respect…for I am dzminn, Lord of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.”

lordofidiots.jpeg

Dont do it!

2 hours ago, dzminn said:

lordofidiots.jpeg

The funny thing is that in about seven years, some n00b is going to bump this thread and ask if these books are still available. 

It's too bad he didn't hold on to those Fish Police and Samurai sets. 

Don't look back. You should never look back. 

I recall a 1988 conversation where a customer wanted to put a book away to give his newborn son on his 21st birthday. At the time, all these books were close in price- GS X-Men 1, FF 48, GI Joe 2 and Nexus #1.  I was pushing the first two while he liked the second ones. I believe he ended up with the GI Joe. 

I sold my AF 15 in 1981 for $200.  I'd paid $115 for it a few months earlier and was quite happy with my profit..  I've never regretted it. 

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

The funny thing is that in about seven years, some n00b is going to bump this thread and ask if these books are still available. 

Happened to me.

I related a story of how, back in the 90s, l bought Kirby FF pages for $300. In my post, I made it abundantly clear how long ago they were that cheap. In fact, that was my entire point. 

Sure enough, in comes a PM. People see what want to.

2 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

I feel dumb when I think of all the missed opportunities I had in my life to get rich😷😒😒

Don't be.  It is easy to sit back and play Monday morning quarterback on missed opportunities that resulted in massive successes.  We usually remember the times that we passed on Amazon stock at entry point.  However, focus on all of the times that you were right and you wisely walked away from something or even someone that resulted in greater opportunity or happiness. 

There is also the idea of, and I have made mention of it many times before of opportunity cost. What did you buy instead?  What did you experience instead?   What did you do instead?  Sometimes the memories and experiences are more important than newsprint.  

I have missed closing auctions on Comiclink and Heritage so I could go with my dad to a baseball game (rarity), take my mom to a concert, travel to Florida to reconnect and move my current gf back to NY.  I would not trade any of those things for old newsprint no matter how much money I could have made off of it. 

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

It's too bad he didn't hold on to those Fish Police and Samurai sets. 

Don't look back. You should never look back. 

I recall a 1988 conversation where a customer wanted to put a book away to give his newborn son on his 21st birthday. At the time, all these books were close in price- GS X-Men 1, FF 48, GI Joe 2 and Nexus #1.  I was pushing the first two while he liked the second ones. I believe he ended up with the GI Joe. 

I sold my AF 15 in 1981 for $200.  I'd paid $115 for it a few months earlier and was quite happy with my profit..  I've never regretted it. 

Absolutely correct. I was thrilled to have sold everything in the ad.  This ad and others in CBG helped me to finish a bedroom in our unfinished basement.

This was November 1986 and my wife was due with our second child in February of 1987. The money went towards sheetrock, tape and mud primarily. When I responded with payment for TMNT #1 it was totally on a whim and nothing more. I enjoyed the series but was happy to sell. I still have my original copy of Raphael somewhere though.

1 hour ago, FoggyNelson said:

I feel dumb when I think of all the missed opportunities I had in my life to get rich😷😒😒

Yup, I think if someone is fortunate to live long enough they'll have made a few of these moves. Dust yourself off and keep plugging away.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Don't be.  It is easy to sit back and play Monday morning quarterback on missed opportunities that resulted in massive successes.  We usually remember the times that we passed on Amazon stock at entry point.  However, focus on all of the times that you were right and you wisely walked away from something or even someone that resulted in greater opportunity or happiness. 

There is also the idea of, and I have made mention of it many times before of opportunity cost. What did you buy instead?  What did you experience instead?   What did you do instead?  Sometimes the memories and experiences are more important than newsprint.  

I have missed closing auctions on Comiclink and Heritage so I could go with my dad to a baseball game (rarity), take my mom to a concert, travel to Florida to reconnect and move my current gf back to NY.  I would not trade any of those things for old newsprint no matter how much money I could have made off of it. 

Well said.