• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acid Free Box Recommendation

27 posts in this topic

This is what I've been using for a while now.  E Gerber are incredibly irregular on whether or not they have them for sale (I have a standing order with them for a bunch that was placed over a year ago).

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5867/magazine-storage-box-font-color-redarchival-fontblue-gray-corrugatedbr11-12-x-9-x-15brholds-150-magazines

They hold magazines in Gerber Mylite 2s pretty well.  It's the best I've found so far.  

5867.jpg.bd850d8c2d2bdc9dd5248eb882ae38d2.jpg

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

hm...., but...., but...., I still have 5 that I haven't used yet..., 

Do you know if they charged you up front?  I've been thinking about ordering some magazine backing boards, but they are under the minimum order...., 

No they don't charge you just make a note and call when ready. I probably won't be at risk for Covid by then.

27 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

This is what I've been using for a while now.  E Gerber are incredibly irregular on whether or not they have them for sale (I have a standing order with them for a bunch that was placed over a year ago).

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5867/magazine-storage-box-font-color-redarchival-fontblue-gray-corrugatedbr11-12-x-9-x-15brholds-150-magazines

They hold magazines in Gerber Mylite 2s pretty well.  It's the best I've found so far.  

5867.jpg.bd850d8c2d2bdc9dd5248eb882ae38d2.jpg

thanks I'll look into these.

13 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

thanks I'll look into these.

Only, the last few batches I've gotten are a margarine colored yellow.

Acid free corrugated costs about triple standard currgated to manufacture, so no matter where you go it is going to be more expensive.  But before spending that kind of money anyone should ask themselves first why they feel they need acid free boxes.

Here is a little bit of science to consider:

1.  The acidity in comics comes from the high lignin content in the pulp paper, NOT from the boxes or any external source.  In fact, pulp paper produces more acidity than corrugated board.

2.  Ph levels migrates from higher acid to base not the opposite.  So the boxes are more threatened to yellow over time by the comics inside than the other way around.

3.  Plastic bags act as a barrier against acidity.

So one might safely conclude that not only are acid free boxes provide no more protection than standard corrugated.  Your money is far better invested in good bags and backing boards.  And backing boards need to be acid free throughout, not just coated or "acid free at date of manufacture" since they, too, can produce acidity over time and come in contact with the book and coatings will wear off over time.

Rich

6 hours ago, DrawerBox said:

Acid free corrugated costs about triple standard currgated to manufacture, so no matter where you go it is going to be more expensive.  But before spending that kind of money anyone should ask themselves first why they feel they need acid free boxes.

Here is a little bit of science to consider:

1.  The acidity in comics comes from the high lignin content in the pulp paper, NOT from the boxes or any external source.  In fact, pulp paper produces more acidity than corrugated board.

2.  Ph levels migrates from higher acid to base not the opposite.  So the boxes are more threatened to yellow over time by the comics inside than the other way around.

3.  Plastic bags act as a barrier against acidity.

So one might safely conclude that not only are acid free boxes provide no more protection than standard corrugated.  Your money is far better invested in good bags and backing boards.  And backing boards need to be acid free throughout, not just coated or "acid free at date of manufacture" since they, too, can produce acidity over time and come in contact with the book and coatings will wear off over time.

Rich

Thanks for the reminder Rich that we fighting an ultimately losing battle with nature!! But your point is well taken and the variety of input on here has given me some good food for thought on what to do. Thanks to all for the input. By the way one of the impressive things about Ernie's original guides was his analysis on paper degradation and the use of mylar and acid free backing boards to protect them. I know from personal experience when I originally bagged my collection that the books that I had bagged even in poly plastic held up much better in the same condition than unbagged books in the same storage conditions.