• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPAnalysis Worth It?

5 posts in this topic

I've recently come into possession of around 1200+ comics. All stored in long boxes, comics from 1950 to more modern.

I'm currently categorizing and picking out ones that hold higher quality, but I was curious if GPAnalysis was worth it to price check all these comics?

For example, I've got ROM: Spaceknight #36 in very good condition that I would consider sending off for grading, but GPAnalysis doesn't actually show prices for those.

Is it because the comic isn't exactly popular? If that's the case, is GPAnalysis used more for prominent comics or brands like X-Men and Spider-man?

Many of the comics are in that similar tier. Ka-Zar, Rawhide Kid, et cetera. Things that aren't exactly showing results on places like GPA or eBay. What's the best route for these comics?

In your circumstances, GPA is not worth it. 

What you want to do is check out completed sales on ebay, and also to check out mycomicshops inventory. It is invaluable to a person like you. 

Looking up Rom 36, you would see a VF copy sells for $8.  Sending the book in for grading cost many times that. You also would see that only two people have added the book to their want lists in the last six months indicating the book is in low demand, and lastly the fact that there is no yellow section for the book reinforces the fact that this is a slow moving book with little demand.

Now look at Rom #1.  Lots of yellow , indicating high demand.  You can see a VF copy sells for $36 raw or $57 slabbed. 

You also can see that 8 people added it to their want list in the last few months, showing the book has moderate demand.

As a rule, super-hero books do much better than non-superhero books and Marvel does better than the other companies. I would set aside any Archies, any Dells, any Charltons and any funny animal and western books for now and concentrate on the superhero books with 10 and 12 cent cover prices. Those are where your money is most likely to be found. That's not to say the rest are worthless, but they are usually worth less. 

3 hours ago, Yggr said:

GPA is only for slabbed books so I don't think it would help you much. You should check completed auctions on Ebay, Heritage, etc. Some books may be worth a lot in 9.8 but only worth a couple bucks in "very good" condition.

And unless I missed a movie announcement there is no reason to waste your money getting a Rom #36 graded.

Unfortunately your collection sounds like it might be full of drek.  Any keys in there?

Thanks for the assistance. I didn't actually know the GPAnalysis was for slabbed comics only, haha.

I don't have anything in this collection graded or slabbed. But there are some expensive items that I've found in the first box.

Tales of Suspense #52, which seems to sell for quite a bit even when graded at around ~3.5. Mine is in better condition and could reach higher than that grading too, I believe.

So, it's not totally full of drek and I think there's some really good stuff in here. So, maybe after grading some, I'll see if GPAnalysis is still worth my time.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

In your circumstances, GPA is not worth it. 

What you want to do is check out completed sales on ebay, and also to check out mycomicshops inventory. It is invaluable to a person like you. 

Looking up Rom 36, you would see a VF copy sells for $8.  Sending the book in for grading cost many times that. You also would see that only two people have added the book to their want lists in the last six months indicating the book is in low demand, and lastly the fact that there is no yellow section for the book reinforces the fact that this is a slow moving book with little demand.

Now look at Rom #1.  Lots of yellow , indicating high demand.  You can see a VF copy sells for $36 raw or $57 slabbed. 

You also can see that 8 people added it to their want list in the last few months, showing the book has moderate demand.

As a rule, super-hero books do much better than non-superhero books and Marvel does better than the other companies. I would set aside any Archies, any Dells, any Charltons and any funny animal and western books for now and concentrate on the superhero books with 10 and 12 cent cover prices. Those are where your money is most likely to be found. That's not to say the rest are worthless, but they are usually worth less. 

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I've been using eBay to check the prices on comics for awhile now. I just didn't know the efficacy of that compared to the GPAnalysis, haha.

But you're right. I've definitely noticed that superhero books and Marvel are much more expensive. And comics that introduce characters are also a fair amount.

I'll categorize the good stuff first and see if I can't get some graded, then I'll see what to do with the others. Thanks again, I'm learning a lot just from these replies alone.