• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miller/Janson Daredevil 166 cover

29 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I totally appreciate that view. Early stuff was really detailed and lush. More illustrative. Later stuff was more visceral and gritty. Very graphic. I love both approaches, but I'm more dazzled by the latter. And those later stories...

I loved all of Miller’s art on DD, but my favorite period is from 185-191. His writing and stories were brilliant and Janson (and Terry Austin on 191) really made those pages great, in my opinion.

Edited by Michael Browning

21 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I might be completely alone in this, but for me there is huge difference between the allure of pre-DD 168 covers/interiors and post DD 168 covers/interiors. Miller as writer/penciller was a massive turning point, and in my mind should be reflected in the price. 

Scott, you're not alone. To me, it makes all the difference in the world that Miller had full creative control of the book from #168-on.  The only pre-#168 cover I would ever have considered buying was #158 (had it turned up at some point over the years), being the first Miller pencils on the run and a memorable cover in its own right.  

18 hours ago, Nexus said:

Would love to own a Miller DD cover, but very few actually do it for me....Speaking for my own collection, I would take an A page over a B cover, straight-up. I would most definitely take two A pages then, over a B cover, if they cost the same. It's all crazy, regardless.

Wonder what an A cover would fetch now.

This is very much how I feel as well.  I don't own and have never owned a Miller DD cover (probably never will at this point, unless the stars line up perfectly) as I have preferred to own interiors that I liked more. Though, in hindsight, I probably would have been happy with the #171 that Scott got, as it is a lot nicer in person than I thought it would be when I passed on it back in the day.  

Who knows what an A cover would fetch these days...I would think somewhere in the $200Ks, but, high $100Ks at a minimum. 

3 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Prediction: For certain pieces, the seller can opt to have part (or all) the seller's fee turned into a bidder's premium.

Prediction #2: Nobody is fooled, it's stupid and only serves to further diminish whatever slight brand premium ComicConnect has over eBay.

9 hours ago, rsonenthal said:

For me, it's all great, but I'm drawn to issues with Bullseye and the Kingpin.  But, as it's been pointed out, great interior pages doesn't necessarily tie to an equally great cover.

I want to highlight what you are saying here Ron.  It's all great indeed. I was loving the Miller DD run before Miller started writing it, and then it just took off to another level starting with DD 168. Still, you can't go wrong with ANY of the Miller DD material.