• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happens to GA collecting when the Boomers die out?

68 posts in this topic

I didn't say moderns.. I didn't specify an age at all smile.gif

as for prices going down on defunct publishers, I said [bold]relative[/bold] values. Compare the relative values of say whiz 2 to tec 27 from the first guide to the latest guide. I don't have that info handy but seriously doubt whiz 2 has done anything but fall in the rankings as the no longer published Captain Marvel slides out of collective consciousness.

and again, on the cancelled titles... I didn't specify an age smile.gif Compare Sgt Fury #1 to say Daredevil #1 over time. I don't have guides with me right now, but I betcha dollars to donuts that Sgt Fury #1 has dropped relative to Daredevil #1 in the long term (over 20 or more years).

I could be wrong, so if someone wants to either prove or refute my argument with these or other examples, it would probably be an interesting comparison.. sumo.gif

Paull, he is due in Oct. sometimes I think of just getting out of the whole thing

but can't give up the feeling. Like when you stumble onto a good comic at a sale.

If I'm around I will try to teach him respect for the hobby.

S.S. thanks, and I will learn how to scan a little better, before I post.

I have one thing to add about grading and buying-

I see where the value of a 9.2 is at times half of a 9.4. In all of the comics I have had graded the differance between the two grades is very minor.

So after a 9.0 the grades are so tight, I would pay for a 9.0 before paying double

for a 9.2 or 9.4. As far as gold age I thing the grading is more on the soft side.

I do not want to start a war of words over anything I write, just my take on this collecting GA.

I agree with SH, that's a pretty strong sale for a non-key (albeit beautiful) book. Non-key pre-code horror is wildly overpriced in guide. To get better guide or better is a pretty good sale, I think. There are rivers of overpriced pre-code horror that gets dragged around by dealers to show after show.

And at $400, the pricetag is already pretty hefty for a non-key book. Could it have gone for $500? Sure, not impossible, and given that the book sold so quickly, I'd say I probably could've done a little better. But I set the BIN at $400 to ensure a quick sale. I have my reasons. wink.gif

I do the same thing. It takes me an hour or so to scan the comic, research prices, and write up a listing. I don't want to go through all of that work and pay eBay fees to NOT sell a comic. So I price the BIN at a fair price so it will sell.

Often times the BIN gets hit in a day or two. Always makes you wonder whether you could've gotten more. But then again, there have been times when I've gotten the suspiscion that there was only one collector who was seriously looking to buy. If I had set the BIN higher, maybe he wouldn't have bid and no one else would have either.

Who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

Often times the BIN gets hit in a day or two. Always makes you wonder whether you could've gotten more. But then again, there have been times when I've gotten the suspiscion that there was only one collector who was seriously looking to buy. If I had set the BIN higher, maybe he wouldn't have bid and no one else would have either.

Who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

It can be a bit maddening, wondering that. I try to look at a sale as a success if I make a significant profit, set my BINS accordingly, and leave it at that. But yeah, you always wonder "what if", a little bit. wink.gif

I figure if a BIN gets hit in the first hour or so - maybe it was priced on the low side - but a couple of days is plenty for the bargain hunters to have checked the listings out - so its more likely that it was a fair price. it might sell for a few dollars more if left to run, but just as likely a few dollars less. The weird thing I've had happen a couple of times is when a book gets BINned with less than a day left, after a week of no bids.

Has anyone here paid more for a book than the BIN after passing on that price to start the bidding at a lower amount?