• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping Question
1 1

8 posts in this topic

If I wanted to buy sell a $15,000 copy of AF #15 (no, I don't have one for sale), which shipping service would allow you to insure it for its full value?

If I had a very expensive book, $30,000+, I would be terrified to ship it anywhere. What do people with $100,000+ books do? Of course, if you own a $100,000+ book, you can probably afford to fly to Florida and drop it off in person.

28 minutes ago, csaag said:

USPS registered mail is one method used for high value items.

But that's only half the issue.  The other half would be having good insurance, either thru the shipper or via 3rd party

Does USPS insure above $10,000? Also, my insurance company, Collectibles Insurance, will cover damage if I send a book to another person. I'm not sure if it would cover damage if it was a book shipped to me. I guess that is something I should check out.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

If I wanted to buy sell a $15,000 copy of AF #15 (no, I don't have one for sale), which shipping service would allow you to insure it for its full value?

If I had a very expensive book, $30,000+, I would be terrified to ship it anywhere. What do people with $100,000+ books do? Of course, if you own a $100,000+ book, you can probably afford to fly to Florida and drop it off in person.

FedEx

In my opinion that is all I would use to ship it

But to be honest, if it's in the same country I would go to wherever the seller is and buy it directly

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

FedEx

In my opinion that is all I would use to ship it

But to be honest, if it's in the same country I would go to wherever the seller is and buy it directly

no kidding ! i would be scared to death to ship something that valuable through the mail ??

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

Does USPS insure above $10,000? Also, my insurance company, Collectibles Insurance, will cover damage if I send a book to another person. I'm not sure if it would cover damage if it was a book shipped to me. I guess that is something I should check out.

I believe registered mail max value is $50k

for exceptionally high valued items, you can also just pay for hand-to-hand personal (bonded and insured) couriers.  Similar to the 'Transporter', but more legal and regulated.

Edited by revat

USPS Registered Mail

I do not know where you are located but here around the NYC and Long Island area we have been experiencing an already questionable service from Fed Ex.  Even before the pandemic, drivers were signing for packages themselves and leaving them on the wrong doorstep or they would sometimes mysteriously disappear.   Bob Storms had remarked the same with comic books.  When it came to my dad, they botched the delivery of his medication. 

With USPS Registered mail there is a chain of command. Have I heard of screw ups?  Yes, but nothing to the magnitude that Fed Ex has screwed up.  Fed Ex drivers routinely sign for packages themselves (this went on even before the pandemic) and at that point you HOPE they leave it on the right doorstep.   I have noticed that during this pandemic, that the USPS carriers will at least ring the bell, step back and verify the person that they are releasing custody of the package to.   Fed Ex is the worst.  I would not trust them with the book if given the option.  USPS Registered mail at the highest tier possible to protect your investment at that price level.   

Also, keep in mind that mail delays will be with us for quite some time as part of the nation's numbers are high during a pandemic and even more people have gravitated toward online shopping. 

Edited by Buzzetta