• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost Rider flick alive & kick'in

34 posts in this topic

I didn't notice any new info in that post other than the director, but I did notice the lack of a date when production would begin. That means that while studios may be considering it--as they have been for the last few years--nobody has signed off on a budget. Newsbytes like this usually come from the people like Avi Arad whose job it is to create buzz to get studios to shell out the bucks; there are far more that never get made than those that do.

From what I've seen, directors will often commit to films which never get made. Directors who haven't got resumes with multiple blockbuster films or Oscars have a TON of competition, so any time they can line up potential gigs they seem to jump on it. As an example of how tough it can be as a director, take Bryan Singer, the director of X-Men. I bet he's disappointed to be directing a superhero film; he has said he never read comics as a kid. Look at his resume:

Bryan Singer's film resume

He did exceptionately well in directing "The Usual Suspects," winning a few minor awards and seeing the screenwriter and Kevin Spacey win Oscars in his film, and probably thought his career was off to a flying start. Then, BOOM, three years, no work. X-Men is waaaay better than directing TV commercials, but I bet he had visions of becoming the next Welles, Hitchcock, Scorcese, or Coppolla in 1996.

Isn't Mark Steven Johnson a comic book fan? I'm sure he'd be thrilled to direct another comic book movie.

Holy cow! For once I agree with JC. This isn't just his being negative, well maybe it is but this time he's right, to a degree. Hollywood is very cyclical and they will ride the super-hero gravy train until we the movie-goers get bored with the genre. You have to admit, we as a society have a short attention span. Look at what the last Batman movie did to super-hero movies. I think it has a long way to go yet but eventually the genre will die down. And eventually it will resurrect itself. Possibly with DC heading the resurrection next time since they are missing the boat this time around. This does not mean the END of the comic book industry or even comic book movies. The world will not end JC and the CGC and comic book market will only feel it to the extent that the movie-hype prices will no longer exist. Ghost Rider is not dredging the bottom of the barrel. That movie has been talked about long before X-Men was even in production. If done well it could be a really good movie. Bottom line is if the studios can keep putting out high quality super-hero movies they will keep the genre alive for a few years. If they "coast" on the popularity then it will die quickly. By the way DD was not a stinker nor was it a bomb at the box-office. It under-performed relative to the HUGE money that Spidey and X-Men brought in, but I think that was expected by most movie analysts. Now that the genre has been firmly established as a money maker it will come back even if there is a couple year break.

they're dredging the bottom of the barrel when Battle Chasers is seen a viable, high-profile license just because it's a comic book.

Who'll play Red Monika? I can't wait!!!! This movie wil get a busty leading lady and up and coming young chick (Amanda Bynes as Gully?) some challenging roles in another fantasy/magic/monster movie. Calibretto (the wargolem) will be mostly CGI here, possible Metal Gear-esque graphic...; Garrison - some flavor of the season studboy actor, Brass Demur can be played by any decent acrobatic martial artist Ray Park?) and Knolan...hmmm - need an old sage type for this (Patrick Stewart? Kris Kristoferson?)...I wonder how they will end this movie since the comic was never really ended? issue 9 was open ended IMO...

I was hoping more for a Danger Girls movie from that Wildstorm line, but Charlies Angels 2 is already out there (with Bernie Mack as Charlie? WTF??)

I actually think that a GR movie could (stress could) turn out good. It's the thought of a Sub-Mariner or Man-thing movie that kills me!

Although I must say that fads like this can only be good for the industry, no matter how long it lasts. Has anyone watched the extra features on the Spidey DVD???? Covers of loads of his appearances from Back issues to modern,even if this makes 1% of the millions (and millions) of the spidey film fans out there go and buy a comic, thats got to be good.

Then they buy back issues, then they buy others, etc. etc. etc.

I think Ghost rider would be a great movie. Technology has now made it possible to make a good looking GR movie. As far as scraping the bottom for characters, you must be joking. Who would ever think the Crow or Blade would be good ideas for movies? And GR has a lot more visual presence than either of those. GR will appeal to anyone into bikes (motorcycles) I think. They could get that guy from Fast and Furious(not Vin) to play Ketch or Blaze. I bet it would go over fine and that someone could put together a pretty entertaining -script. I have no idea who Battlechasers are.

I've NEVER been a ghost rider fan...but with Cage in it I'll go see it....I was never a big Spawn fan but I rather liked the movie....I think the less I'm involved with the comic of the movie I go see the better the movie will be. I won't be some geek critiquing the movie the entire time, I'll be able to go and watch the film and take it at face value.....let's just hope it isn't too awful.......

latest on the movie--

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0304/09/index.htm

I really can't see how a Ghost Rider movie would be incorporated with "Marvel Movies" as a whole. I think most of the people out there expect a Marvel movie to be a guy in tights running around saving the day, etc etc.. If they make a real Ghost Rider movie, it won't be anything like that. It'd probably fit into a category of it's own, instead of "yeah, that's another comic book movie".

Brian

If you think superhero movies will ride a wave of popularity for 5-10 years in a row, then it would be an absolute first.

It would be an absolute second. Universal Studios had a Monster Franchise, so to speak, back in the 30's and 40's. It began with these films:

Dracula (1931)

Frankenstein (1931)

The Mummy (1932)

Invisible Man (1933)

Then came fifteen films over a seven year period...all based on the original Dracula, Frankenstein, Invisible Man and Mummy. All profitable. (In 1941 The Wolf-Man made his debut and was featured in 3 successive films. Frankenstein Meets, House of Frank and House Of Drac).

Son of Frankenstein (1939)

The Invisible Man Returns (1940)

The Invisible Woman (1940)

Mummy's Hand, The (1940)

The Wolf Man (1941)

The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)

Invisible Agent (1942)

The Mummy's Tomb (1942)

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)

Son of Dracula (1943)

House of Frankenstein (1944)

The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944)

The Mummy's Curse (1944)

The Mummy's Ghost (1944)

House of Dracula (1945)

Oh how I wish the monster movies would make a resurgance.... crazy.gif

I thought it was going to happen a couple of years ago when Godzilla came out followed closely by Mighty Joe Young....alas 'twas not meant to be.... frown.gif

I thought it was going to happen a couple of years ago when Godzilla came out followed closely by Mighty Joe Young....alas 'twas not meant to be....

Yes. But you know? I'm okay with it. I've got almost all the Universal horror films (including the non-Monster Franchise ones like Black Cat, Night Monster etc) on dvd, laser or vhs depending on title. Plus tons more of the Poverty Row studios 40's horror (Devil Bat, Strangler Of The Swamp, The Flying Serpent, The Ape Man etc.).

I remember when Universal remade House Of rankenstein a few years ago as a two-part made for tv film. Not one of their finer moments. grin.gif

That's a good point about the monster movies, but these days I can't see that happening. There's just too much choice out there, as opoosed to that time period. Peolple now have the opportunity to be more fickle.

That's a good point about the monster movies, but these days I can't see that happening.

I do agree, but joe_collector said it would have been an "absolute first". And I didn't even MENTION the detective franchises consisting of Mister Wong (Karloff), Sherlcok Holmes (Basil Rathbone/Nigel Brue), Mister Moto (Peter Lorre) and probably the most venerable of them all, Charlie Chan (Warner Oland, Sydney Toler and Roland Winters). My god, the Chan films alone:

Charlie Chan Carries On (1931)

The Black Camel (1931)

Charlie Chan's Chance (1932)

Charlie Chan's Greatest Case (1933)

Charlie Chan's Courage (1934)

Charlie Chan in London (1934)

Charlie Chan in Paris (1935)

Charlie Chan in Egypt (1935)

Charlie Chan in Shanghai (1935)

Charlie Chan's Secret (1936)

Charlie Chan at the Circus (1936)

Charlie Chan at the Race Track (1936)

Charlie Chan at the Opera (1936)

Charlie Chan at the Olympics (1937)

Charlie Chan on Broadway (1937)

Charlie Chan at Monte Carlo (1937)

Charlie Chan in Honolulu (1938)

Charlie Chan in Reno (1939)

Charlie Chan at Treasure Island (1939)

City in Darkness (1939)

Charlie Chan in Panama (1940) Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise (1940)

Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum (1940)

Murder Over New York (1940)

Dead Men Tell (1941)

Charlie Chan in Rio (1941)

Castle in the Desert (1942)

Charlie Chan in the Secret Service (1944)

The Chinese Cat (1944)

Black Magic (1944)

The Jade Mask (1945)

The Scarlet Clue (1945)

The Shanghai Cobra (1945)

The Red Dragon (1945)

Dark Alibi (1946)

Shadows Over Chinatown (1946)

Dangerous Money (1946)

The Trap (1947)

The Chinese Ring (1947)

Docks of New Orleans (1948)

The Shanghai Chest (1948)

The Golden Eye (1948)

The Feathered Serpent (1948)

The Sky Dragon (1949)

You're correct, but I automatically thought within the boundaries of the last few decades. I'm sure in Ancient Rome there were a few long-running performance genres in the old Coliseum. grin.gif