• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 180 Mark Keeler Question
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I hope this is the right forum for this, but I just purchased a hulk 180 8.5 ow/w with Mark Jeweler Insert for what I feel is a pretty good deal. If FMV is around 1100 now, what would you consider the Fmv of the book with the insert. I can't find any data regarding the rarity and CGC will not put it in it's census. Would love to hear some thoughts. Merry Christmas

According to GPA the closest grade with a Jewelers insert is 7.5. It sold last June for 789. Back in June blue label 7.5 were sold a few times and averaged roughly around 745. Its higher now. The next Mark Jewelers is 6.5 also last June and was actually sold at a lower price than blue labels. Hope that helps.

They're sold very infrequently so that's probably why cgc doesn't bother breaking them out in the census. Was M Jewelers even notated way back when cgc started?

The upward bump was probably mostly, if not entirely, due to it being a newsstand copy. 

High grade newsstand copies are exceptionally rare, for those who care.  And there is a group of collector's who do care. 

Even those who normally wouldn't care will recognize that they can get more for a newsstand copy of equal grade.  So now they "care" because it means more money in their pocket, feeding someone else's addiction. 

Maybe the MJ insert helped raise it up a bit, too.  Can't tell, when you have a mix like that.

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

Are most MJ inserts in newssstand books? 

All MJ inserts are in newsstand books. I’ve never seen one in a direct copy...

As for the original value, you can find guys who will pay a slight premium for one in a key book but it might take a while. A lot of the die hard MJ insert collectors already have what they need because they collected them before they were “cool”. And not a ton of newer younger collectors care as much. 

On 12/24/2020 at 9:29 PM, MGsimba77 said:

They're sold very infrequently so that's probably why cgc doesn't bother breaking them out in the census. Was M Jewelers even notated way back when cgc started?

They've always been noted, but they've never been separated.