• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can't we all just get along? — or, boot some of these idiots off the boards!

124 posts in this topic

Ah, some things just can't be helped. If you guys can't help but insult eachother, at least try to do it at a minimum. Of course this problem can't just be wiped away all at once, just tone it down a bit and hopefully in the near future it will be gone. That's how I tought myself to stop cussing :\

And it's not just insults, it's arguments as well. A prime example is what's happening above, an ongoing argument. Just end it, forget about it, or better yet try to resolve it with the person (via PM) so their's no hard feelings, which in the end, would stop many future arguments.

Grown-ups often argue. It's tough when you're young and certainly adults on message boards should be very careful when interacting with minors, but a healthy expression of differing points of view can actually be very useful.

I would go out of my way to get into any kind of confrontation with you, but controlled confontation with other posters is not something to be afraid of.

BTW - your art is excellent! I wish I'd been born 20 years later and had grown up with all this stuff being 2nd nature to me. The first Superman vector you posted (lightning strike shot) was great! thumbsup2.gif

I took a look at it too. Nice. thumbsup2.gif Ever use the Illustrator WOW book? I researched and wrote the section on the 3D tool in version CS.

Since you are SO adept at responding to the right person tongue.gif, I'll say no. Maybe in my 8th reincarnation. poke2.gif

If you think 'minors' don't argue you're sadly mistaken. Insults and the such are thrown around at school left and right, it's not just adults.

On-going arguments are not healthy points-of-views.

And thanks for the comments, I'm surprised I'm getting responses in this thread O_o..

And Illustrator WOW book? Like I said, I taught myself, so no tutorials like that or anything. And yes, the avatar was made by me in Illustrator, you can see more of that pic in My Original Art thread.

Stop this now, all of you.

Out of the mouth of babes - dj is currently coming across as the most mature voice in the OA forum. kudos to djsupes.

That's high praise.

yeahok.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Out of the mouth of babes - dj is currently coming across as the most mature voice in the OA forum. kudos to djsupes.

That's high praise.

yeahok.gif

He'd be better off as the pivot man in a circle jerk then "most mature" here.

That's high praise.

yeahok.gif

He'd be better off as the pivot man in a circle jerk then "most mature" here.

sign-funnypost.gif

Well, the $810 US today cleared. I lost it..all of it. I feel sick. That's a lot of money for me and it will take me a very long time to pay that back, maybe a year - at least. Good bye for birthday and christmas frown.gif

Looks like I won't be reading any comics for a long time, I'll just have to re-read what I already have, sucks..

Well, the $810 US today cleared. I lost it..all of it. I feel sick. That's a lot of money for me and it will take me a very long time to pay that back, maybe a year - at least. Good bye for birthday and christmas frown.gif

Looks like I won't be reading any comics for a long time, I'll just have to re-read what I already have, sucks..

Hi,

Yeah, give us the details. What happened?

Best,

Okay..well, I made 2 layouts for a guy (plus another one I already had pre-made). He's the owner of ssmrage.com (the new layout isn't up). As you know, a layout is a virtual object so Paypal doesn't cover it in seller protection policy. So to avoid any possible scam, I always make the client put something like this in the comments section when paying:

I, Samuel Ysassi Jr., representative of this Paypal account, swear that I have received this layout and am happy with it. I, nor anyone else associated with me is at liberty to file a complaint, get money refunded, or anything related to the sort. I have paid for this layout and cannot complain or get any sort of refund. I have payed for the template of this layout, the images are strictly to promote the anime, and mangas alike and I, Samuel Ysassi Jr. have added them, not the graphic designer. I, Samuel Ysassi Jr am responsible if any legal action is taken towards me for using anime images. The graphic designers company, Creative Influence Design Studio, is presented on this layout and is in no way allowed to be edited, covered up, or anything of the sort. If at any time the creator of this layout, Kyle Kargov, decides to link this text, he can do so and I will change it for him immediately. If I, Samuel Ysassi Jr do not comply to any of these terms, I forfeit all rights to this layout back to the creator, Kyle Kargov., and do not get any sort of refund.

So, he put that in. He was a very nice guy and apparently his site is associated with some sort of network with good morales, one of those being "truth". So I thought, that's nice - don't have to worry about anything.

So, I receive 4 seperate payments. $110 US, $200 US, $200 US, and $300 US. I received $110 US on August 17th, 2005, and the rest (700 US) on August 24th, 2005. I send him all the files I worked so long on. The payment is cleared and Paypal states the status as "completed". I put half in my bank (forced too) for university, and tithe 10% to the church. Now, I'm left with 45%. I buy a digital camera to benefit me in design, a koto Batman statue, and some comics. I now have $0 (I spent it all). 2 weeks (and 3 weeks for the August 17th payment) later I receive 4 different e-mails from Paypal stating this:

Subject: PayPal Notification: Temporary Hold Pending Investigation

E-mail:

Dear (moms name) Kargov,

It has come to our attention that you may be the recipient of potentially

unauthorized funds. We have initiated an investigation into this event. In the

meantime, we have placed a temporary hold on the funds in question until the

investigation is complete. This temporary hold will show as a deduction in your

available balance. In the meantime, you are free to continue transacting using

your PayPal account.

Transaction Date: Aug. 24, 2005 17:37:53 CDT

Transaction Amount: $200.00 USD (this is one e-mail, the others are there too so it totals up to $810 US)

Payor's Email: ssmrage9963@yahoo.com

If you have not delivered the goods or services related to this transaction, we

ask that you delay or stop delivery until our investigation is complete as you

may be liable for the amount in question.

And the usual garbage (don't give password out, etc.).

--

So by now I'm really, really, confused and I don't know what's going on. I send an e-mail the day I receive those e-mails (September 7th) using Paypals own help center e-mail. I never receive a reply, I still have not. I call them up and they say their is nothing I can do. They say that someone could have hacked into his account and sent me the money. They say they will investigate it and I say well, how would I get the money. They say if they find out he's lying, I ask how - they say they can't tell me their methods.

I don't know what to do, I pray to God every night that everything goes well because it's just too much for me to replace.

I e-mail my client various times (I would usually talk to him on AIM because he was always online when we were dealing with the layouts (over a week), but he suddenly dissapears and never comes back online) and he says this:

I just got your email, for some reason I dont know why

this is happening ive already contacted paypal and im

waiting on a reply.

I also wont use the layout or forum skin tell this is

confirmed and delt with

--

That was dated September 13th. I sent him 6 or so more e-mails and have not gotten a response.

Now, a little over a week later I check my Paypal like I have been doing every day since I got the e-mail from Paypal. No longer does my account show that this is being held, but that it has been reversed. I've lost all the money. I have 4 different things like this:

43627813_9602880279_o.jpg

I thought I would have no chance of recovering the money, probably because the Paypal representitive on the phone said I had no protection at all. So, I put my PSP and 1 GB memory card for it on eBay. This is what the payments are in my Paypal account.

43628244_4fe7e441d2_o.jpg

As you can see, I'm currently $425 US in debt and owe my mom $70 or 80 US or so from payments I made with the $810 US (not shown in Paypal).

This doesn't mean I'm at $0 now, it means I owe the $425 US (plus the 70 or 80 to my mom). So basically, after selling my PSP and memory card I owe 500 US. It will take me a very long time to get that money and I doubt I can buy comics for a year or so. This also means, unfortunately, I can't go to the Toronto Comic Con which is a real pain.

Anyways, that's what happened.

well. i feel for you. i really do. but i can give you this advice. if you going to be in business for your self. i would not deal with paypal and have them the. persons contracting you for work .

pay you in a certified check or money order. that way you know it all legal.

and paypal only offer protection on items you can hold in your hands. instead of software or programs. that may or may not exist.

i personally hate paypal. because they nickle and dime you to death. they get you coming and going. but i know 810.00 is a lot of money to me and iam a grown man. so it a tuff lesson. i hope that things will work out for you and you get your funds back. but with paypal. i would not hold my breath. thats for sure.

larry ;]

Hi DJ,

Sorry to hear about the mess you're in. Maybe some of the lawyers on these boards have some advice. In the meantime, I (and I'm sure several others) would be happy to help a little.

PM sent.

Best,

I would be happy to help out.... hi.gif