• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC 100 pagers are a Bad Investment

62 posts in this topic

I have been collecting DC 100 pagers since 1990. At the time, I thought they were extremely undervalued. And I was right. As long as I submitted all of my best books to CGC two years ago, and sold them all. Well, that didn't happen. I have submitted a grand total of one single 100 pager to CGC. I probably have over 125 books that I should have submitted.

Over the past two years, CGC high grade 100 page DC comics have gone for very high prices. I am guilty for some of those high bids. Greggy is very guilty. Very very guilty.

I believe there are 1000's of high grade 100 pagers that have not been submitted yet. A glut waiting to happen.

So here I am, still bidding too much for these books. I need professional help.

Ice. You are not alone. You've got the fever. We all do. Oh, and don't feel bad about not submitting, it seems as if you are keeping all of your books, so why spend $29 a book to have it graded? If you ever want to sell, then get 'em graded. Otherwise, why bother? Be proud of your collection and just enjoy the fever, as no kind of medicine will cure you. Well.... except for some women, but you don't want the kind that will cure you anyway.

Ice. You are not alone. You've got the fever. We all do. Oh, and don't feel bad about not submitting, it seems as if you are keeping all of your books, so why spend $29 a book to have it graded? If you ever want to sell, then get 'em graded. Otherwise, why bother? Be proud of your collection and just enjoy the fever, as no kind of medicine will cure you. Well.... except for some women, but you don't want the kind that will cure you anyway.

Ewert's Batman 257. Gotta have it. Not worth it. Gotta have it. Not worth it. Gotta have it. Not worth it.

My wife used to stop me. Now she's like "whatever you want".

Outbid me Greggy, outbid me. Please! Saaave meeeeeeeee!

Ewert's Batman 257. Gotta have it. Not worth it. Gotta have it. Not worth it. Gotta have it. Not worth it.

My wife used to stop me. Now she's like "whatever you want".

Outbid me Greggy, outbid me. Please! Saaave meeeeeeeee!

Ah, Mr. Ratcliffe. High Grade Batman collector exraordinaire swoops in at the last second and takes Jason's 257 away from the avid 100 page collectors.

Unless you are going to get into the business, go to the bank and get a stack of money, do a business plan, and get cut-throat about buying low and selling high, comics are a [embarrassing lack of self control] investment.

Maybe you buy a book and flip it and make $100. Woo hoo. Do it 100 times in a row, and you've made $10,000. Again, woohoo. No one's getting rich off that.

If you're buying for 1000s of books for $10 each, grading them all and getting a lot of 9.4s and selling them for hundreds of bucks a piece, that's a different story. But it take $$$ and connections to make that happen. Comics are not an easy way to make money. I have enormous respect for the dealers who can make a go of it. Many have told me that to some degree, it's blind, dumb luck - stuff like having a sharp collection walk in that they got for nothing.

I've ridiculously overpaid to get nice books that I couldn't live without. Do I regret it? Sometimes. But I regret it less than I regret those times when I passed on a really nice book that won't be coming along again soon.

Buy what you want to buy, and forget about if it's ever going to pay you back. The comics themselve are their own reward.

Shep

Maybe you buy a book and flip it and make $100. Woo hoo. Do it 100 times in a row, and you've made $10,000. Again, woohoo. No one's getting rich off that.

Who's talking about getting rich from flipping? Making a few thousand in flipping profits here and there allows me to pay for traveling to comic cons around the country with plenty of cash to buy more books as well as funding my Ebay addiction and other fun but non-comic activities. Comic books may not be "investments" like real estate or stocks, but they can certainly be very profitable short-term investments when you can buy low and sell high soon after. And it is easy to do. Not so easy with the big books maybe, but certainly very easy to do with books valued at $100 and less.

I believe there are 1000's of high grade 100 pagers that have not been submitted yet. A glut waiting to happen.

I bought the Monterey set of DC 100 Page Super Spectacular in the late 80's. Very nice set. They will never see slabs, and I will never part with them. I am sure there are many more like me out there.

I actually have memories of buying the #21 (Superboy) and then cleaning a neighbors garage for 50 cents to buy #22 (Flash). Those made such great reading. I consider them a large influence to my decision to collect silver age DC stuff as they reprinted so much of that material.

While I do not have those original books anymore, I could never part with the copies I now have, there are too many memories attached cloud9.gif

I bought the Monterey set of DC 100 Page Super Spectacular in the late 80's. Very nice set. They will never see slabs, and I will never part with them.

The Monterey collection had the full set? 893whatthe.gifhail.gif Just out of curiousity, what grade would you put the #4 at?

i don't want to talk about comics as investments, but if you've thought through your purchases over the years (and avoided speculating on moderns or, if you did, you sold them quick) you've probably done better than buying government bonds.

and for the last 5 years, you've done better than stock market investing like the S&P 500. my 401K hasn't done squat.

we're not talking about getting rich. you can't do that on small dollar books. of course, when could you do that with any sort of investment, i.e., turn $1000 into $50K? very rarely, maybe buying microsoft in 1982 or something like that. most of the time you should be very happy making 10% a year on your stocks. that isn't getting rich either, but 30-40 years of plugging away, you ought to have something to show for your effort.

wannah get rich? go to the racetrack. you'll either blow your money (99% of the time) or make out like a bandit.

or, rob a bank. granted, there are some risks involved in that.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Lets see your DC 4 smile.gif

#4, #5, and DC-8 (Batman 238) are the 3 most sought after 100 pagers in high grade, are they not?

The last #4 (Weird Mystery Tales) CGC 9.4 sold was 3 years ago for $739.40. Greggy, wasn't that you?

The last #5 (Love Stories) CGC 9.2 sold last month on Heritage for $2,000.00+! (My last bid was $1,800).

I don't think a Batman 238 CGC 9.4 has EVER been offered for sale, has it?