• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Growing up - What was your Comic Book money's Competition?

69 posts in this topic

* Baseball Cards

* Star Wars Cards

* MAC Men (Mobile Action Command by Matchbox) -- does anyone else remember these?

maclot.jpg

I loved the action playsets... the vehicles had winches, cherry pickers, etc. But at $3 or $4 for a figure and vehicle, that was a major chunk of change. I suspect these figures are hard to find in decent shape. They were constructed of hard rubber with joints, It didn't take much to pop an arm or leg out.

sorry.gif

My Mom. She hated comics, still does. She really pushed me to read, and would buy me books all the time. However, for some reason, she hated buying me comics. I would ahve to save lunch money or borrow from my aunt or Mom without them knowing what I was going to do with it.

Hence the reason i did not have very many comics when I was a kid.

Im making up for lost time now acclaim.gif

1. Sheri Reicks

2. Gas to transport Sheri Reicks around

3. Various imported herbs

4. Concert tickets

With the exception of #3, by the time I got to this stage, comics were out of the picture. I quickly learned that "high school girls" didn't think comics were cool and adjusted my hobbies accordingly. It wasn't until after college that I was mature enough to not give a damn what anyone thought and got back into comics.

So, I basically took a vacation from comics from 1982 - 1990. 27_laughing.gif

I returned just in time to get in on the ground floor of the "gold holofoil rush."

Anyone interested in 5 copies of DarkHawk #1? frown.gif

1. Sheri Reicks

2. Gas to transport Sheri Reicks around

3. Various imported herbs

4. Concert tickets

With the exception of #3, by the time I got to this stage, comics were out of the picture. I quickly learned that "high school girls" didn't think comics were cool and adjusted my hobbies accordingly. It wasn't until after college that I was mature enough to not give a damn what anyone thought and got back into comics.

So, I basically took a vacation from comics from 1982 - 1990. 27_laughing.gif

I returned just in time to get in on the ground floor of the "gold holofoil rush."

Anyone interested in 5 copies of DarkHawk #1? frown.gif

I was dealing comics in high school, so she was cool with it, mainly because of the income it was bringing in, which went to pay for #3 and #4. My comics vacation was the first two years of college.

Not much money was left over after comic books. The only other thing I remember collecting as a kid were baseball and football stickers that came in bubble gum wraps. I would complete 95% of the booklet, but could never get the last 5%. It was really frustrating. When I got to College, I would cut classes so I can play video games in the campus game room, which ate up a bid of money. My favorite games were Double Dragon and Street Fighter.

Also, when I was around 12/13 years old, I had about 200 small plastic animals. For fun, I'd split the animals into 15 to 20 soccer teams and play a tournament. I used a very large wooden board and outlined a soccer field in chalk on it. Four pins with red ribbons tied around them were used as corner flags. I would make a nice goal post with my old leggo set, and cut out portions of my mom's potatoe sack as the net. I'd then split the teams into defence, midfield and offense (Elephants in back, and gorillas in goal), and start the tournament with a small dice substituted as a soccer ball. I even named some of the animals after famous European and South American players. foreheadslap.gif

when I was a child Star Wars and GI Joe action figures took alot of my comic money. As a teenager Herbs and concert tickets took up most of my money as well as more Star Wars. From 20 to 24 my first wife wouldn't let me collect anything. Infact the [embarrassing lack of self control] made me sell of the Transformer and GI Joe collection along with my bronze age comics before they picked up alot of steam. When she said The Star Wars had to go she went instead. I was then married again after that and started collecting comics again but money was tight and my second wife was lazy so she couldn't keep a job now she is gone and all the money is split between My daughter, comics, and Star Wars

when I was a child Star Wars and GI Joe action figures took alot of my comic money. As a teenager Herbs and concert tickets took up most of my money as well as more Star Wars. From 20 to 24 my first wife wouldn't let me collect anything. Infact the [embarrassing lack of self control] made me sell of the Transformer and GI Joe collection along with my bronze age comics before they picked up alot of steam. When she said The Star Wars had to go she went instead. I was then married again after that and started collecting comics again but money was tight and my second wife was lazy so she couldn't keep a job now she is gone and all the money is split between My daughter, comics, and Star Wars

Man, I didn't even have to see you were from Texas...

that road you went down is a country song in the making...

insane.gif