• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics as an investment for retirement
2 2

166 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2023 at 12:41 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I think it is hard to be a collector and investor at the same time. I tried it and ended up just acquiring more books for myself that I did try to turn them into profit.

I agree with this whole post, but wanted to quote the above for emphasis. "Don't get high on your own supply."

It's been a lot easier for me to broker comics dispassionately in the digital era. My subscription to services like Marvel Unlimited or discrete purchases of individual digital issues has keep my inner nerd satisfied, while I'm able to move (and flip) inventory with few regrets of missing out on great stories or art.

[I will confess to the occasional "goodbye" read on some mid-grade books that are hard to get digitally (like 80s indies).]

On 4/23/2023 at 5:57 PM, fiendish said:

I agree with this whole post, but wanted to quote the above for emphasis. "Don't get high on your own supply."

It's been a lot easier for me to broker comics dispassionately in the digital era. My subscription to services like Marvel Unlimited or discrete purchases of individual digital issues has keep my inner nerd satisfied, while I'm able to move (and flip) inventory with few regrets of missing out on great stories or art.

[I will confess to the occasional "goodbye" read on some mid-grade books that are hard to get digitally (like 80s indies).]

I'm high on my own supply. I love my floppies. I know I could access everything digitally or through omnis and other means but part of the hobby that I love most is the physical book. This does make it hard to combine investing with collecting UNLESS I am investing in books I care to not collect (which there are many so it could be done but again, tends to take away from my time enjoying collecting).

I treat my books as long term investments but I do make sure I have somewhat sentimental value tied to the books I purchase because I've noticed that I have more urge to hold those vs those that I don't which end up being offloaded quicker. 

On 4/18/2023 at 10:41 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Personally, I feel lucky that a hobby I have enjoyed since I was 11 or 12 has turned into something that if I wanted to, I would cash out and put at least 1 kid through a decent school program. And all of it at a fraction of what I spent to accumulate it.

I think it is hard to be a collector and investor at the same time. I tried it and ended up just acquiring more books for myself that I did try to turn them into profit. It is a venture I might try again but it took the joy away from the hobby honestly. I am content right now just buying what I like when the price is right and not worrying about it. As long as I am getting a decent deal on a book I will enjoy today, I feel confident I can recoup its cost (and likely then some) down the road when needed.

I think now is a good time to buy though. Buy desired books that over the last decade have shown overall gains. Buy the best grade possible. By the biggest keys possible. And you should be fine. Playing the small game with weekly or monthly hot books can probably be done but requires a lot of work and time and potentially, more losses than gains.

Sage words.

I invest in comics and have a stock portfolio as well as an IRA.  I've liquidated a lot of my post 1980 comics outside of ASM. I've been focusing more of 1938-1955 golden age superhero, horror and romance. Silver age marvel mega keys and #1's. Bronze age pre 1975 in 9.4+ and 9.8's of 1976-1979 keys.  I'm thinking 20 years out when I'm in retirement. Also have a few pieces of high end OA, Maybe when I'm 65-70 I'll sell everything, buy a house on a lake and stay there and die.