• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donnating comics
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Yes seems weird at first but while collecting sometim we buy a stack of comics because of a few that really deserves our attention , so yes somtime i donnate comics in youth center or place like that makes me think of hard times when comics helped me feel free .the gift of a passion is a powerfull thing dont you think???i do the same with my card collection i buy boxes for special card sketch autograph or costume memorabilia what i dont need i give back free to some that one day might follow in our footsteps or just enjoy the little things.i want to know what you think and if you done simillar things give tips to where to donateurs thanks.

absolutely. pay it forward. always.

using a mystery drawing like so many here do, especially for youngsters or the children of older members.

hospitals, and nursing/long term care/retirement homes, va facilities. it is surprising how popular comics are in those venues.

care packages for overseas (and for that matter conus) troops. it is appreciated (just don't send it to any boot camps because the reader will get destroyed by the di if caught).

I donate to good will. Yeah, it isn't purely being nice, as i take $2 a piece tax deduction. I donated some nice books to a charity raffle for my son's middle school, got my LCS to write up an appraisal so that the lucky winner would have an idea of their winnings... it wound up being won by one of my son's friends... like $200 in mcfarlane spideys. and a while back I put together grab bags of comics I thought would hit a good 8 - 12 year old sweet spot for kids living in a shelter.. stuffed like 20 magazine bags with as many age appropriate comics as would fit.

57 minutes ago, the blob said:

and a while back I put together grab bags of comics I thought would hit a good 8 - 12 year old sweet spot for kids living in a shelter.. stuffed like 20 magazine bags with as many age appropriate comics as would fit.

Next year we are going to hear your story of how you gave away key books that weren't keys when you gave them away. :foryou:

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork

9 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Next year we are going to hear your story of how you gave away key books that weren't keys when you gave them away. :foryou:

I honestly do not remember what was in those grab bags, which is good, because I probably did give something away that is worth something now. Ditto for the donations to goodwill. The problem with the ebay grab bags I sold is that I would provide a list of each book in the lot, the grade, and OPG value so that the buyer could see my thought process for the lot. So my mistakes are burned into my memories having written them down and scanned the lists! Anyway, the list with grades worked out pretty well in terms of buyer satisfaction.

I dont make lists and count the price of my donation i dont look back i just want to share my passion i give movies that i have upgraded from dvd blu ray and such some movie you wont necessarely find easyly or just old classicisme never heard of by millenials like abbott and costello to ray harryhausen to akira kurosawa  just want to share little  forgotten gems.thats just me.for fun sometime i go to a small comic shop few days before free comic book day and give few old comics some  with wear but still and say to the owner to give them free one of them few years back was almost mad cause he could have made few bucks some were signed and one was number 1 batman year one 5.0( hey im not rich either) 

56 minutes ago, Namtak said:

I dont make lists and count the price of my donation i dont look back i just want to share my passion i give movies that i have upgraded from dvd blu ray and such some movie you wont necessarely find easyly or just old classicisme never heard of by millenials like abbott and costello to ray harryhausen to akira kurosawa  just want to share little  forgotten gems.thats just me.for fun sometime i go to a small comic shop few days before free comic book day and give few old comics some  with wear but still and say to the owner to give them free one of them few years back was almost mad cause he could have made few bucks some were signed and one was number 1 batman year one 5.0( hey im not rich either) 

Use more of these things in your sentences:  .   ,      It will be easier on our eyes.

I usually will keep a box of "misfit toy comics" I acquire throughout the year, you know, single issues of good books mostly... and give them out along with candy on Halloween.  If we're planning on doing a yard sale or anything, I also try to put together a box of books that a free for the little kids that get dragged their with their parents. 

I know it's not a big all-at-once donation thing... but I kind of like actually putting books into kids' hands.

Edited by fmaz

My sister works at Stanford and Christmas 2019 I donated about 15 short boxes full of modern comics to the Children's hospital. All of the comics were Marvel and DC, and I only put in the big titles that the kids would know (Batman, ASM, Star Wars). My sister got an email a few months ago from one of the workers at the hospital saying that even now the kids are still enjoying them. Some of the books are expensive now (ASM #4 Silk was in there) but I wouldn't take any of those books back knowing it made the kids happy. If you live near the bay area they are always looking for donations during Christmas time, the items just need to be in newish condition.

Edited by pacino408