• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are They Worth Grading?

20 posts in this topic

I am new to this and planning on sending some comics for grading and have 3 questions. (1) I Have a 1958 Action Comic featuring Superman with scotch tape on the outside and inside of the front cover. Is it worth grading? (2) I have attached photos of a Star Trek Gold Key #2, which has some writing on the cover with a Sharpie and which bled through to the inside of the cover. Is that worth grading? (3) The comics I am sending have a musty smell. Does that affect the value?

Thanks for anyone who can help answer my questions.

Star Trek markings (1).JPG

Star Trek markings (2).JPG

Edited by MareB
Had more questions and added photos

39 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Not worth sending at all. Getting them graded would cost you $60 a piece and you wouldn't make that back for the Star Trek Comic. 

Thanks. Luckily, I have some nicer ones I will be sending. I thought they would be between $24.30 and $34.20 a piece. What is the $60.00 for?

1 minute ago, Ride the Tiger said:

What issue # for Action comic? If its #242 then it could be worthy getting graded.

I have #248 that is taped, #243 that has a small crease and a small tear, and a 312 that is pretty nice.

3 minutes ago, MareB said:

I have #248 that is taped, #243 that has a small crease and a small tear, and a 312 that is pretty nice.

Those are all pretty common books that would probably need to be in high grade if you wanted to make money from grading them. 242 is a pretty big ket which is why I asked.

Just now, Ride the Tiger said:

Those are all pretty common books that would probably need to be in high grade if you wanted to make money from grading them. 242 is a pretty big ket which is why I asked.

Thank you. I really appreciate the information. Figures that I would have 243...so close, yet so far. 

34 minutes ago, MareB said:

Thanks. Luckily, I have some nicer ones I will be sending. I thought they would be between $24.30 and $34.20 a piece. What is the $60.00 for?

I made a mistake. I always use the Economy tier that I forgot the Value tier exists (I hate that tier, it's the least profitable one). Yes it would be about $35 a piece or more depending on shipping costs and you choosing to press or not. Still not worth it. 

44 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I made a mistake. I always use the Economy tier that I forgot the Value tier exists (I hate that tier, it's the least profitable one). Yes it would be about $35 a piece or more depending on shipping costs and you choosing to press or not. Still not worth it. 

Thank you. I figured I would go in with the value and if they were worth more they would charge me the difference.  Isn't that how it works? Sorry, but I am so new at this.

Hi,  You could post photos of the books you have in the grading forum  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/.  There are  some good people in that forum who will look at the photos of the books and provide their opinion of the grade for your books.  Based on the grade, you could then look at previous books (at a similar grade) sold on eBay.  This would give you an idea of the value of your books in order to see if grading would be worth it. 

Based on the books and the defects you showed/described, I doubt it would be worth it as they are likely low grade common books.

1 hour ago, buddy2 said:

Hi,  You could post photos of the books you have in the grading forum  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/.  There are  some good people in that forum who will look at the photos of the books and provide their opinion of the grade for your books.  Based on the grade, you could then look at previous books (at a similar grade) sold on eBay.  This would give you an idea of the value of your books in order to see if grading would be worth it. 

Based on the books and the defects you showed/described, I doubt it would be worth it as they are likely low grade common books.

Wow! Thank you so much for that helpful information. I will try that with some nicer issues I have of others. Thanks again.