• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to see comics you caught in the WILD!
3 3

59 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

That was a good find.  I bet now it's worth at least double what you paid...hm  Of course, the cover isn't that great.  I'll buy it from you for my run for $10...:preach:

I give you 20 

dave hester yup.jpg

2 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I picked up a lot of EC comics at Zern's Farmers Market in PA.  I traded a few giant size annuals and payed cash for the rest of these.  Many of the other horror comics were purchased from a guy named Wally who sold comics under a big tree at Shupp's Grove flea market in Adamstown.

5561281697_f06a2af493_b.jpg

5561857624_7ab8aca42e_b.jpg

WOW! Now those are finds! I have never found a PCH find of that size out in the wild. 

I got the WW 2 in one of the inside booths at Rettingers. There were 2 tables piled with books and various paper stuff. I got a couple Buck Rogers high grade BLBs and a couple Capt Midnight manuals. I went through everything. The last stack contained a Spy Smasher, a Marvel Mystery and the WW. The price, $10. each. The guy had brought them in the day before from a house clean out. 

It always amazes me how much stuff comes out of that area. Lots of big farms and small towns. You would think as these places get cleaned out, the area would dry up. Like everywhere, that is happening but there is still stuff waiting to be found by those willing to do the work. 

Can’t wait to do another cross country road trip when this pandemic is over...

Where is Zern’s Farmers Market? Never heard of that one. 

Edited by Robot Man

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

WOW! Now those are finds! I have never found a PCH find of that size out in the wild. 

I got the WW 2 in one of the inside booths at Rettingers. There were 2 tables piled with books and various paper stuff. I got a couple Buck Rogers high grade BLBs and a couple Capt Midnight manuals. I went through everything. The last stack contained a Spy Smasher, a Marvel Mystery and the WW. The price, $10. each. The guy had brought them in the day before from a house clean out. 

It always amazes me how much stuff comes out of that area. Lots of big farms and small towns. You would think as these places get cleaned out, the area would dry up. Like everywhere, that is happening but there is still stuff waiting to be found by those willing to do the work. 

Seeing that huge pile of PCH makes me want to give more hearts to that post! :) I see Haunted Thrills 6, a Ghost 2 (barely peeking out), a Mysterious Adventures 20 (ditto on barely visible) -- treasure upon treasure stacked up there.

Edited by originalisbest

4 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I am surprised that you found that still running loose.  Several dealers comb the area every Sunday.  I found a similar comic at an antique shop near Adamstown about twenty years ago.

2232226236_3663579f7a_b.jpg

Speaking for Robot Man, I recall him telling the tale of his WW#2 find, it was BURIED in a stack that he had to dig, dig and dig in to see what all was underneath. :) Pretty much what he recounts above -- $10 for whatever you pull out of the stack, buddy. But I wonder, RM, did the booth guy balk at selling you a WW#2 for $10, or did he genuinely not know great from "eh" in that pile? What if the last stack produced an Action 1 or Superman 1, would he still have been fine getting his $10?

Edited by originalisbest

14 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

Seeing that huge pile of PCH makes me want to give more hearts to that post! :) I see Haunted Thrills 6, a Ghost 2 (barely peeking out), a Mysterious Adventures 20 (ditto on barely visible) -- treasure upon treasure stacked up there.

That Haunted Thrills issue was purchased from Tom Gordon when he worked at Renningers.  The Ghost issue and Mysterious Adventures was probably from Wally.  All of the pre-code horror was heavily discounted.  Timely comics were seldom discounted much but 50% guide was unusual for the Timely issues with superheroes.  Antique dealers often priced comics at the mint price and bargained a lot from there.

2 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

That Haunted Thrills issue was purchased from Tom Gordon when he worked at Renningers.  The Ghost issue and Mysterious Adventures was probably from Wally.  All of the pre-code horror was heavily discounted.  Timely comics were seldom discounted much but 50% guide was unusual for the Timely issues with superheroes.  Antique dealers often priced comics at the mint price and bargained a lot from there.

It all makes for an impressive array! Are the majority still part of your collection, or have some been sold off over time?

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I purchased a lot of stuff inside Renningers from Ron Loose (sp, see below).  He had a brother who supplied him with comics and other junk.  A local collector purchased most of the Captain Marvel comics from the area but Ron would save them for me.  Zern's is on Route 100 near Gilbertsville.  I didn't score a lot of comics there but I did buy a lot of fruit, vegetables and wicker baskets.

2929874366_10a120bb8d_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

35 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

It all makes for an impressive array! Are the majority still part of your collection, or have some been sold off over time?

I have sold a few pre-code Horror comics but kept most of those in the picture.  A few of those seen are also from Bob Horn's shop in Lancaster.

10 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

I purchased a lot of stuff inside Renningers from Ron Loose (sp, see below).  He had a brother who supplied him with comics and other junk.  A local collector purchased most of the Captain Marvel comics from the area but Ron would save them for me.  Zern's is on Route 100 near Gilbertsville.  I didn't score a lot of comics there but I did buy a lot of fruit and vegatables.

2929874366_10a120bb8d_b.jpg

(the above cover has been restored with photshop)