• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to see comics you caught in the WILD!
3 3

59 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

I have sold a few pre-code Horror comics but kept most of those in the picture.  A few of those seen are also from Bob Horn's shop in Lancaster.

Good stuff. I look forward to a post-pandemic world where I can go digging at flea markets and the like. It's a lot of fun. :)

7 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Speaking for Robot Man, I recall him telling the tale of his WW#2 find, it was BURIED in a stack that he had to dig, dig and dig in to see what all was underneath. :) Pretty much what he recounts above -- $10 for whatever you pull out of the stack, buddy. But I wonder, RM, did the booth guy balk at selling you a WW#2 for $10, or did he genuinely not know great from "eh" in that pile? What if the last stack produced an Action 1 or Superman 1, would he still have been fine getting his $10?

The guy had no clue and could care less. He just asked me how many items I had. Yeah, last handful was the 3 comics. Just said it was a house cleanout. The 3 comics were from the same month and year. Some kid had probably bought them the same day. I had my best poker face on that day.

This is amazing! So many comics caught out in the wild! Just goes to show you how deep comics have infiltrated people's lives! I am dumb founded to see these comics exist and were captured. To me the fun is the hunt! Like INDIANA JONES looking for treasure! Keep it up! It's great to see that rare and wonderful comics being saved. What amazes me even more is how colorful and well designed these old comics were to attract their reader! Each cover is distinct and seemed to reach out "READ ME!"

These  Brave and the Bold issues aren't very old but I got some of them from a bale of old magazines being recycled at the local paper mill back in the sixties.  My friends and I searched the stacks in their storehouse on Sunday when work was shut down.  We found a lot of comics with covers in one bale while most of the comics on the conveyor belt were coverless.  Before we could open the rest of the bale, we were caught by the security guard and kicked out.  My friend, George, hid the Suicide Squad issue in his shirt and we all left with a stack of coverless comics.  While walking up the road at the side of the factory, the police arrived, arrested us and took us downtown for fingerprinting.  They let us go after a few hours and we walked home.  My friend wanted to go back and see if there were more comics with covers.  I was tired and hungry and didn't want to get arrested again.  So I didn't go.  He never found any more comics and I never went back to the paper mill.

23936046919_b41d34d365_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

12 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

Almost all of these Calgary Eyeopeners were purchased from an antique dealer at Kutztown Extravaganza.  He also had a few comics which included Amazing Spiderman 6.  Spiderman cost a hundred dollars but the other mags were cheap.

5582363550_3bb7f6e63f_b.jpg

Most these I never seen before , they are cool‼️👍

22 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

Found the Catman 31 on the back of a pick-up truck at Renningers.  Purchased a Daring and a Detective from the same guy.  He collected cap pistols but didn't want the comics.

50888675337_c3beaae36c_h.jpg

3193248510_0d179e8b71_c.jpg

Now that's a cover that would want me to buy the comic! What is the deal with the tied up Japanese soldier?

2 minutes ago, APDallas said:

Now that's a cover that would want me to buy the comic! What is the deal with the tied up Japanese soldier?

You are referring to the Chinese soldiers on the cover of Daring 9, I guess.  I notice in the new production of the movie Midway they mention 200,000 Chinese were killed for hiding Doolittle and other air force personnel involved in the bombing of Tokyo.  Chinese and Soviets suffered great loss of soldiers and civilians during WWII.

Paid $100 for a nice chunk of GA books at a rainy estate sale 3-4 years ago.. could have done a better job of laying them out.. a Dagar bondage cover in that pile.. Brenda Starr 4 ... Some Kirby also.. District Attorney.. I'll take pics of what I have left when I get a new iPhone

A861F143-D802-4DC4-9813-C5187B6B41C1.thumb.jpeg.277212e3b75d0cb19ce6ebe4d9ae4633.jpeg

Edited by littledoom

23 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

These  Brave and the Bold issues aren't very old but I got some of them from a bale of old magazines being recycled at the local paper mill back in the sixties.  My friends and I searched the stacks in their storehouse on Sunday when work was shut down.  We found a lot of comics with covers in one bale while most of the comics on the conveyor belt were coverless.  Before we could open the rest of the bale, we were caught by the security guard and kicked out.  My friend, George, hid the Suicide Squad issue in his shirt and we all left with a stack of coverless comics.  While walking up the road at the side of the factory, the police arrived, arrested us and took us downtown for fingerprinting.  They let us go after a few hours and we walked home.  My friend wanted to go back and see if there were more comics with covers.  I was tired and hungry and didn't want to get arrested again.  So I didn't go.  He never found any more comics and I never went back to the paper mill.

23936046919_b41d34d365_b.jpg

I’ve dumpster dived for comics...

IMG_6721.thumb.JPG.5c30c30cac815afe04dbb64647ad5bce.JPG

These comics were located in a basement of a home in Montreal back in 2011, where the original owner passed away and I acquired them... :cloud9:

The grand daughter of the deceased 80 yr old man, who owned the home, was cleaning out the basement and discovered these comics stored in boxes and she knew a picker who she asked to sell the comics for her for a commission. I met the picker at a restaurant about 1 hour east of Montreal and he brought them in a shoe box with no bags or boards and only the Dime # 1 was in a poly propylene comic bag. Sufficient to say this was the most exciting acquisition I ever had in the "Wild" 

These comic books are known as "Canadian Whites" due to their black and white interiors. I have had a few of them certified by CGC as evidenced in the last photos. :smile:

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

Lucky 3.jpg

Lucky 6.jpg

Super Comics.jpg

Active 1.jpg

Three Aces.jpg

Capt Marvel.jpg

Cdn Heroes 2.jpg

Cdn Heroes.jpg

Commando.jpg

Dime 23.jpg

Dime.jpg

014.jpg

Grand Slam 1.jpg

Top Flight 8.0.jpg

Dime 1 9.0.JPG

Triumph 20003.jpg

Speed Savage.jpg

IMG_6626.JPG

Edited by eccomic

On 1/30/2021 at 11:03 AM, BB-Gun said:

You are referring to the Chinese soldiers on the cover of Daring 9, I guess.  I notice in the new production of the movie Midway they mention 200,000 Chinese were killed for hiding Doolittle and other air force personnel involved in the bombing of Tokyo.  Chinese and Soviets suffered great loss of soldiers and civilians during WWII.

Yes prior to the late 40's the US very allied with China and was convinced it would become a Christian democratic nation. The publisher of Time magazine was really pushing this idea back then. Well things really didn't work out that way and our democratic allies had to flee to Taiwan to escape the incoming Communists. With the ascendancy of China's economy it would be helpful if more people read up on their history. I actually met one of the pilots of the Flying Tigers about twenty years ago when inquiring about a 442 convertible I had been eyeing for years.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:18 PM, Robot Man said:

These books were literally saved from a wood chipper in a dump in NO CA. Had a friend who worked there. He called me up one day and told me these were dropped off there. He and another guy each got half the pile. Neither were "comic guys". So I made the long drive up on a weekend. He showed me where they were found next to the wood chipper. I was dismayed to see a large pile that had already been shreaded. I asked him what would make him happy and he just said, take them. I told him, they were worth some decent money and gave him a fair sum. He was shocked. Enough so, he called the other guy to see if he wanted to sell his pile. He did, and I ended up with about twice this amount. As happy as I was, I can't bring myself to think what might have been shreaded before they found them...

comicsdump.jpg

Thank goodness you were there to save comic history! Who knows what was already destroyed but at least you gave these a good home! Well, done sir!