• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favourite comics under 50$in value
2 2

33 posts in this topic

You aren't getting a list of books I am hoarding!

Anyway, "$50" is pretty broad. What is an acceptable grade? If you are willing to go low enough you can get a lot of keys for $50 or less.

With that said, $50 can get you a pretty decent 40s/50s Barks Duck or a couple of them.

Are these books good investments? Honestly, I have no idea. Most of them have not been for the last 25 years. These are the kinds of retail prices I saw 25 years ago on many of these books, although I suspect there was always a lot of negotiation (my shop gave me 50-70% "off" depending on how much I was spending). But they're great, 65-75+ year old comics with international appeal. I guess the problem is they were just so dang popular back in the day and, on top of being popular, it seems people kept them, quite likely for their kids or siblings to enjoy. So, while some genuine high grade copies, which are hard to find have done well, 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Christmas-Comic-Donald-Duck-Christmas-For-Shacktown-Four-Color-367-Barks-/333796456099?hash=item4db7d1b6a3%3Ag%3A2AwAAOSw2vpfuBwZ&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-Color-408-VG-4-5-1-Book-Golden-Age-Dell-1952-Donald-Duck-Carl-Barks/193844576999?hash=item2d220982e7:g:jmYAAOSw0Nxf-5NG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walt-Disney-s-Comics-And-Stories-76-1947-Carl-Barks-Donald-Duck-Nice-/333843450911?hash=item4dba9ecc1f%3Ag%3A9uoAAOSwh-Rf7qfc&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walt-Disney-039-s-Comics-and-Stories-103-1949-Carl-Barks-Golden-Age-/353100220610?hash=item523669c8c2%3Ag%3AFZYAAOSw6Uxe3ZW2&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The interesting thing about bidding on these books is that there are a decent number raw floating around and you can definitely snag one at a good price at auction that could actually be worth something in a slab. I got this for $25 ... it maybe  isn't a 7.0 (as I don't think CGC is as soft at grading GA books as it used to be ... this could have been a 7.0 in the early 2000s ... and it looks better than a recent 7.0 that sold), and a 7.0 slab sold for just over $200 recently (it wasn't that good looking) and another nicer 7.0 sold for $280+ .... do I want to roll the dice on getting this slabbed..I dunno, if it is a 5.0 I am breaking even:

fc328.thumb.jpg.e0b786c7e7c8645669a84521592c908b.jpg

Edited by the blob

Avengers 130 was one of the first comics I ever owned, and I've reacquired a copy each time I've started collecting from scratch again. It has a great cover, some good fighting between the Avengers and Titanic Three, and even a throw down between Thor and Iron Man. It also had some nice interactions between the different Avengers while they were helping Mantis find out about her past. My 9-year old self really enjoyed that book without knowing who any of the characters were.

There are actually a bunch of issues between Avengers 125-200 that would fall into this category for me. None of them are expensive and have balanced action and character work. The ones that stand out most to me are 160 (The Trial), 161-162 (Bride Of Ultron) 164-166 (Nefaria Trilogy) 167,  168, 170-177 (Korvac). I enjoyed that era of Avengers immensely.

44 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I have never read that even though I have owned it a long time.

Is there something percolating with the Kingdom Come story? There were sets selling for under $10 a couple of months ago and now everything is more.

14 minutes ago, the blob said:

Is there something percolating with the Kingdom Come story? There were sets selling for under $10 a couple of months ago and now everything is more.

I have heard movie rumors but I have been hearing that for years.

12 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I have heard movie rumors but I have been hearing that for years.

I see this being tough to do live action in 2 hours... and they'd have to step up the animation quality to do it right. Having gotten the hbo max app for WW84 we have been enjoying the extensive library of cartoon movies. I did not know DC had cranked out so many of these over the years as they largely gave up on theatrical releases a while ago. I guess people are not willing to pay movie theatre prices for 90 minute stories that have the same production quality as the 30 minute cartoons they get free on TV. these would be good for saturday matinee at half price or something, but i guess theatres don't think that way.

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

I see this being tough to do live action in 2 hours... and they'd have to step up the animation quality to do it right. Having gotten the hbo max app for WW84 we have been enjoying the extensive library of cartoon movies. I did not know DC had cranked out so many of these over the years as they largely gave up on theatrical releases a while ago. I guess people are not willing to pay movie theatre prices for 90 minute stories that have the same production quality as the 30 minute cartoons they get free on TV. these would be good for saturday matinee at half price or something, but i guess theatres don't think that way.

Well some of those dc animation are quite gritty and for a more mature audiances i wouldnt let a kid watch the Killing joke or dark knight return and beside straight to vidéo is a médium that we see more and more.tremors 2 showed that it can be a lucrative business too.i wouldnt recomand suicide squad hell to pay or flaspoint in a saturday matinee . 

25 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Well some of those dc animation are quite gritty and for a more mature audiances i wouldnt let a kid watch the Killing joke or dark knight return and beside straight to vidéo is a médium that we see more and more.tremors 2 showed that it can be a lucrative business too.i wouldnt recomand suicide squad hell to pay or flaspoint in a saturday matinee . 

hah hah, i watched the suicide squad one with my 9 year old

20 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Witch one??hell to pay?

yup. i fell asleep at the end, but I was really tired and it was late, I don't blame the movie. i am trying to figure out the economics of these cartoons ... this one made $2.8 million in DVD and blue ray sales. That couldn't possibly cover the cost of making this, could it? And I guess it is on HBO Max so they get some value for the content and perhaps it generated international revenue I don't know about.