• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turnaround time is ... getting better!

26 posts in this topic

Lordy knows I've person_without_enough_empathyed and moaned enough about turnaround times, so it's time to offer a compliment when the times improve.

In early August, CGC was shipping books received on 4/4 ... a 4 months wait.

On Sept 8 the info was updated and CGC was shipping books received on 5/24 ... so in one month they cleared up about 6 weeks of backlog. That's good.

On Sept 14 the info was updated again and CGC is shipping books received on 6/10 ... so in about a week they cleared up about 2 weeks of backlog. That's very good. And the wait now is just a little over 3 months.

Nice work, kids, but DON'T GET COCKY!

Faster you huskies, mush, mush!

gozer

--------------------------

Damn TV, you've ruined my imagination, just like you've ruined my

ability to ... to ... uhh ... oh well.

A slow down in submissions is my guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We knew this would come at some point. There are only so many GA/SA and early BA books out there that are below the $250 market value, but worth getting certified.

And maybe that's why CGC deems it somewhat necessary to make some changes (i.e. resubmits of restored books due to changes).

>> There are only so many GA/SA and early BA books out there that

>> are below the $250 market value, but worth getting certified.

I agree with you about this, but only for golden age books and early silver age. I think the supply of mid 1960s and later books is so vast, we've only begun.

The statistic from CGC I would like to know is how many books they receive monthly. Is it pretty steady or is it more erratic? If that number starts steadily dropping, it would indicate that the population of slab-worthy books is decreasing.

gozer

--------------------

Ivanhoe is a story about a Russian farmer and his tool.

A slow down in submissions is my guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree, but I think it comes down to the total meltdown in brand-new CGC comics, and there being very little market these days for off-the-shelf "hot books". Now that dealers like Neatstuff have stopped sending in 200 crates of new Diamond cases each month, I bet that has allowed other grading tiers to catch up.

Sure, there is the odd new book here and there that sells for big $$$ in CGC 9.8, but nothing like the insanity of 2000-2004.

TAT improved last year around this time. IMHO, it is a combination of the fact that the con season is over, which has constrained CGC resources in conjunction with slower incoming submissions. The summer months have typically been the more difficult months for CGC in the past few years so it is a trend I'm noticing.

The statistic from CGC I would like to know is how many books they receive monthly.

I think valiantman's number crunching program based on the census could provide some answers here (although the census is in of itself not super reliable, it can be a general gauge) at least between census updates.

Paging valiantman... hi.gif

The statistic from CGC I would like to know is how many books they receive monthly.

I think valiantman's number crunching program based on the census could provide some answers here (although the census is in of itself not super reliable, it can be a general gauge) at least between census updates.

Is that information made available to the general public?

The number of comics graded would be of no interest, as that should be consistent, given the current backlog, but if someone can actually post the "# of comics received per month" I'd be mighty interested in seeing those.

The great slow down on submissions is starting.

Regardless of what other board members think, there is not an infinite amount of HG and therefore CGC, worthy books to be certified.

That said, part of it is that certain books (especially early BA books) just don't get enough, even when certifed at CGC 9.4. If you pay the NM- guide price for a book and then spend $24 to get it CGC graded and it comes back CGC 9.4, and you still can't make a profit, then there is clearly an oversupply (or lack of demand) for that issue. I'm seeing that a lot.

If this were to be true, CGC could always lower the costs to slab. That would bring back customers by the truck loads.

Especially for books between 1968 and 1974.

That said, part of it is that certain books (especially early BA books) just don't get enough, even when certifed at CGC 9.4.

If you are buying right now, there are a bunch of good deals out there for slabbed 9.0-9.4 books.

Lordy knows I've person_without_enough_empathyed and moaned enough about turnaround times, so it's time to offer a compliment when the times improve.

In early August, CGC was shipping books received on 4/4 ... a 4 months wait.

On Sept 8 the info was updated and CGC was shipping books received on 5/24 ... so in one month they cleared up about 6 weeks of backlog. That's good.

On Sept 14 the info was updated again and CGC is shipping books received on 6/10 ... so in about a week they cleared up about 2 weeks of backlog. That's very good. And the wait now is just a little over 3 months.

Nice work, kids, but DON'T GET COCKY!

Faster you huskies, mush, mush!

gozer

--------------------------

Damn TV, you've ruined my imagination, just like you've ruined my

ability to ... to ... uhh ... oh well.

Steve is a ruthless slave-master. sign-rantpost.gif plus Newt is working the graveyard shift too poke2.gif

West

Steve-

Sorry, but that is just not true. We are getting more books out per day because our staff is now larger. Also, if you have noticed, we are on the boards less than before (during the day) and have not been doing as much on-site grading of non-modern comics which gives us more time to grade and encapsulate.

The biggest problem we had was training and finding the right people for the job(s). As of today, we now have 12 graders, 2 QC people, and have added 1 to Customer service/recieving and 2 to encapsulation. The Certified collectibles Group has added a great Director of Marketing which also takes some things away from Paul and myself. BradleyX2 will be here on Monday to begin training yay.gif and maybe, just maybe, we can actually get ahead 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

BradleyX2 will be here on Monday to begin training yay.gif and maybe, just maybe, we can actually get ahead 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I've been getting my car packed to begin the drive down there tomorrow!

laugh.gif 1,000 miles? Pashaw.

I'm still VERY excited about joining the CGC team. Hopefully I can help get those turnaround times whipped into shape.

yay.gif