• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long?

25 posts in this topic

I submitted my first group of comics to be graded in December.  There are 40 books and will be prescreened for 9.8.

They were received by CGC on 12/17/2020.  In other words, they first showed up on the CGC website with a status of "RECEIVED."  This was about 10 days after I shipped them.  At the time of my shipment, the turnaround time was 22 days, plus 10 for the prescreen.

There has been no change in the status since.  I called last week, and was told the same.

Anyone submit with similar timeframe?  Now the turnaround time is 47 days.  I dying to get these books back!  I have many more to send, but would like to see how many made the grade before shipping any more.

I am interested to hear any thoughts!  

In a COVID world, no timeframes with CGC are guaranteed at the moment. You could wait another couple weeks, maybe a month or so. It is what it is and hey, maybe you think CGC should do more about this but when you consider that they probably received 100+ times their normal number of submissions during the latter half of last year (and to my knowledge still only have 20 some odd graders), you can understand why delays happen.

Their mentality? They would rather you wait 4-6 months for books graded accurately than hire 30-40 more people quickly, who are not trained and as experienced, and have a bunch of quick turnaround times but lose integrity to their grading.

And hey...you can argue that the integrity of their grading is also a problem but that is a separate conversation (and a brief one when you consider that, if they grade 1000 comics, surely a small percentage will be slightly over or undergraded as it is a company run by humans and no matter the biz, human error always exists). 

My advice if sending more stuff to CGC is

1. Send it

2. Check that they get it

3. Don't think about them for 6 months. After that time, make a call or two if they are not back in your possession. 

This should be the mentality for 2021 as much as it was for majority of 2020.

Yah it hasn’t been 32 business days yet ... and you didn’t ask a question so.....

congrats on paying for a service and letting complete strangers know that it hasn’t been completed on time even though the initial estimated non-guaranteed deadline hasn’t passed yet.

can please inform us of other things that haven’t happened yet that might happen in the future?  

22 hours ago, jayray2k said:

Anyone submit with similar timeframe?

Here's the question.  You can tell by the squiggly line with the period underneath.  See, I can be a troll, too.  Thank you for the input, I was just asking a question.  Luckily, I used to also collect eTopps and got my troll wings on those message boards.  

I was not trying to single-handedly undermine the integrity of CGC, nor was I particularly "whining."  Nor was I trying to forecast the future.  But I sure got some buttholes some typing practice, now, didn't I?

I sent in my first submission in the same timeframe. In fact 12/17 is also when all of mine were marked as received. They were a mix of modern, value, and economy. Funny enough I got 1 of the economies back already. The rest have not moved from received either. So the only answer I can give you is - I think it's pretty standard, just have to be patient. Like you, since this is my first submission, I'm anxious to see how it turns out. But I think patience is the only way really.

23 hours ago, jayray2k said:

I submitted my first group of comics to be graded in December.  There are 40 books and will be prescreened for 9.8.

They were received by CGC on 12/17/2020.  In other words, they first showed up on the CGC website with a status of "RECEIVED."  This was about 10 days after I shipped them.  At the time of my shipment, the turnaround time was 22 days, plus 10 for the prescreen.

There has been no change in the status since.  I called last week, and was told the same.

Anyone submit with similar timeframe?  Now the turnaround time is 47 days.  I dying to get these books back!  I have many more to send, but would like to see how many made the grade before shipping any more.

I am interested to hear any thoughts!  

Edited by xvipah

2 hours ago, xvipah said:

I sent in my first submission in the same timeframe. In fact 12/17 is also when all of mine were marked as received. They were a mix of modern, value, and economy. Funny enough I got 1 of the economies back already. The rest have not moved from received either. So the only answer I can give you is - I think it's pretty standard, just have to be patient. Like you, since this is my first submission, I'm anxious to see how it turns out. But I think patience is the only way really.

So for the economy that you got back, did the listing ever progress from "RECEIVED?"  If so, how did that go?  I've been expecting to see something like "SCHEDULED FOR GRADING."  Or did it just show up at your door?  Or did you notice when your credit card was charged?

It moved from received to scheduled for grading, to grading, to finalized. Once it got in to scheduled it was finalized and mailed out within probably 4 working days or so.

9 minutes ago, jayray2k said:

So for the economy that you got back, did the listing ever progress from "RECEIVED?"  If so, how did that go?  I've been expecting to see something like "SCHEDULED FOR GRADING."  Or did it just show up at your door?  Or did you notice when your credit card was charged?

Related question on timing.  I see my shipment arrived at the CGC in Florida on 1/27.  It’s almost a week later but no status update has been made marking it as “received”.  Is that delay typical or should I begin to freak out?   

47 minutes ago, Nrubemit said:

Related question on timing.  I see my shipment arrived at the CGC in Florida on 1/27.  It’s almost a week later but no status update has been made marking it as “received”.  Is that delay typical or should I begin to freak out?   

I’d give ten business days then contact them

3 hours ago, Nrubemit said:

I have the same question/concern. How long does it take for CGC acknowledge they have received the items?