• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATMAN THE AUDIO ADVENTURES podcast starring Jeffrey Wright (2021)

23 posts in this topic

Batman’s latest heroic exploit will be heard, not seen. HBO Max is launching a Batman podcast titled Batman: The Audio Adventures, a comedic take on the Dark Knight that sees Jeffrey Wright lending his voice as the Caped Crusader.

Dennis McNicholas, a longtime writer on Saturday Night Live, penned and directed the multi-episode series that hails from Warner Bros.’s Blue Ribbon Content division and will hit Warners’ streaming service sometime in 2021.

Audio Adventures is separate from  the DC’s multi-year deal with Spotify to create podcasts based on its characters. The furthest one along is also Bat-centric; Batman Unburied has David Goyer as creator and exec producer. Blue Ribbon Content is also developing and producing that latter series.

McNicholas produced the project with Angela Petrella (Stone Quackers, Golan the Insatiable). Jon Berg, the former Warner executive-turned-producer who worked on Justice League, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman, is the executive producer.

Plot details are hidden in Crime Alley but it is known to be a comedic take on the usual rain-soaked justice-dispensing crime-fighter.

That aspect is reflected in the cast, which includes several former and current SNL player, as well as other comedians. In addition to Wright, the all-star roll call includes Chris Parnell, Melissa Villaseñor, Seth Meyers, Brent Spiner, John Leguizamo, Ike Barinholtz, Bobby Moynihan, Kenan Thompson, Rosario Dawson, Jason Sudeikis, Alan Tudyk, Heidi Gardner, Brooke Shields, Paul Scheer, Tim Meadows, Fred Armisen, Ray Wise, Ben Rodgers, Katie Rich, Pete Schultz, Paula Pell, Toby Huss, and McNicholas.

Who the vast cast was portraying is being kept in the Batvault for now.

Wright already has some Bat-connections as he is playing classic character James  Gordon in The Batman, Warners’ upcoming movie that stars Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne.

Edited by Bosco685

HBO Max is the latest television company to ramp up its push into podcasts. The WarnerMedia streamer has made a number of moves in the audio space and is bringing together a number of projects under the HBO Max banner and platform.

The company is launching Batman: The Audio Adventures, a scripted original starring Jeffrey Wright as Batman, Rosario Dawson as Catwoman and John Leguizamo as the Riddler. This is separate from DC Comics’ own Batman podcast that it is making with Spotify. It comes as rivals such as Netflix also step up their plans in the audio space.

HBO Max is also launching its first look-back audio series, centered around Band of Brothers, prepping a new Insecure spin-off podcast and expanding its deal with podcast firm Audacy. This comes as the HBO Max Podcast Program has grown from four podcasts to over 25 including companion series based on shows such as Chernobyl and Lovecraft Country. The moves were announced by Michael Gluckstadt and Becky Rho, Co-Directors of the HBO Max Podcast Program at the Podcast Movement festival in Nashville.

Batman: The Audio Adventures doesn’t have a firm release date yet, but in February 2021 Warner Bros. said that it would release sometime in 2021. The Dark Knight has a full dance card for the next couple of years as a range of actors will portray Batman in different media. So who is set to play Batman and his rogues' gallery in Batman: The Audio Adventures?

Jeffrey Wright As Batman
While it is hard to say whether Jeffrey Wright will actually be donning the cape and cowl for his performance, he will certainly be lending his voice to the show as Batman himself. Wright has extensive acting credentials. He recently appeared as Bernard Lowe in Westworld and he is about to reprise his role as Felix Richter in the next Daniel Craig Bond movie. While, before 2021, Wright had not appeared in any comic book adaptations, that is definitely changing: In Marvel’s Disney Plus series What If…?, Wright will be voicing The Watcher, and he will be appearing in another Batman property in 2022 as he is set to portray James Gordon in The Batman with Robert Pattinson.

Rosario Dawson As Catwoman
Catwoman has been played by nearly as many different people as Batman has, including Julie Newmar, Eartha Kitt, Michelle Pfeiffer, Halle Berry, and Anne Hathaway. Batman: The Audio Adventures will bring Rosario Dawson to the role. Dawson is well versed in voicing heroes having repeatedly played both Wonder Woman and Batgirl (Barbara Gordon). She made headlines recently when she took over the live-action role of Ahsoka Tano in The Mandalorian and is set to reprise that character in her own spin-off series Ahsoka.

John Leguizamo As The Riddler
Whoever plays him, The Riddler is always a strange and enigmatic presence. John Leguizamo’s history in both serious and irreverent roles sets him up for this perfectly. Hopefully his portrayal in Batman: The Audio Adventures will be better received than his role as Luigi in the early video game adaptation Super Mario Bros. No stranger to voice acting, many listeners may know him from his portrayal of Sid in the Ice Age franchise.

Batman: The Audio Adventures - Supporting Cast
Batman: The Audio Adventures will be brought to listeners by Saturday Night Live writer Dennis McNicholas. This is reflected in the announced supporting cast that draws heavily on SNL alums. Jason Sudeikis (Ted Lasso), Seth Meyers (The Awesomes), and Bobby Moynihan (America: The Motion Picture) have all been confirmed alongside Kenan Thompson (Kenan), Heidi Gardner (Super Mansion), and Fred Armisen (The Mitchells vs the Machines). Rounding out this strong comedy-oriented cast are Chris Parnell, Melissa Villaseñor, Brent Spiner, Ike Barinholtz, Alan Tudyk, Brooke Shields, Paul Scheer, Tim Meadows, Ray Wise, Ben Rodgers, Katie Rich, Pete Schultz, Paula Pell, and Toby Huss.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:22 AM, Oddball said:

I’m not sure why I’m interested in this. Wright does have a voice I strangely enjoy. I’m doing a 13 hour nonstop flight next week so this will definitely be downloaded and on the playlist.

I believe Amazon/Audible still have Sandman Chapter 1 listed for free download now. Ten (10) hours of fantastic storytelling!

On 9/24/2021 at 9:34 AM, Oddball said:

Thanks for the tip! Great cast too. I got the Act II as well. Being new to this app, it doesn’t appear that they charged me for the second one either. 

Ok, so I got the first one free and I guess Audible includes one credit for all new members so I used that credit to get the second part. I think I may subscribe to this service.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:53 AM, Oddball said:

Ok, so I got the first one free and I guess Audible includes one credit for all new members so I used that credit to get the second part. I think I may subscribe to this service.

Outstanding! I did not know this

:whee:

On 9/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, JasonTodd69 said:

@Bosco685 is it me or wb never seem to give fans what they truly want.

Although the WB Studios executive team are the biggest mishandlers of their own portfolio, I would say it NEVER gives fans what they want. And at times, it is despite its own tampering.

Whether it is the animated side, TV, streaming or movies we get very good, good and yes - not so good to horrible. But there have been so many solid animated TV shows and movies for decades its been one of the somewhat bright spots. Including the Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Justice League Unlimited, Justice League 2001-2003.

Unfortunately, the inconsistency is what is heartbreaking as a comic book fan.

On 9/25/2021 at 12:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

Although the WB Studios executive team are the biggest mishandlers of their own portfolio, I would say it NEVER gives fans what they want. And at times, it is despite its own tampering.

Whether it is the animated side, TV, streaming or movies we get very good, good and yes - not so good to horrible. But there have been so many solid animated TV shows and movies for decades its been one of the somewhat bright spots. Including the Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Justice League Unlimited, Justice League 2001-2003.

Unfortunately, the inconsistency is what is heartbreaking as a comic book fan.

DCAU was brilliant. Have you watched the apocalypse war?

On 10/6/2021 at 1:45 PM, Wolverinex said:

How are u listening

My-Ears-Are-Ready-Reaction-Gif.gif.c0b6ac3aeb04bf6802b8ffce7c577e05.gif

Just kidding. You can listen to it via HBO Max's app either over your phone, tablet or TV. No visual viewing required during the show.

batman_adventures.thumb.JPG.b5915ca512b2e2d08cbcff16ad3ab3f2.JPG

As the show plays all you would see is an old fashion radio with a Batman symbol on the knob. 

On 10/6/2021 at 2:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

My-Ears-Are-Ready-Reaction-Gif.gif.c0b6ac3aeb04bf6802b8ffce7c577e05.gif

Just kidding. You can listen to it via HBO Max's app either over your phone, tablet or TV. No visual viewing required during the show.

batman_adventures.thumb.JPG.b5915ca512b2e2d08cbcff16ad3ab3f2.JPG

As the show plays all you would see is an old fashion radio with a Batman symbol on the knob. 

dang.  I wish there was a way to listen without hbomax

On 10/6/2021 at 2:12 PM, Wolverinex said:

dang.  I wish there was a way to listen without hbomax

Not at this time.

But it is pretty nice to play it on your phone with headsets and just kick back and relax.