• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When is the Modern Age over?

22 posts in this topic

That's why it should have never been named the "modern" age. By definition it can never end.

But it needs to be split. Many threads exist on how to split it or what to call the splits.  

That's one of the eternal questions of comicbook collecting (that and "What constitutes a 'first appearance'?"). That's right, I just used five punctuation marks in a row, all properly placed, beat that - HA!) :grin:

Edited by jcjames

25 minutes ago, jcjames said:

That's why it should have never been named the "modern" age. By definition it can never end.

But it needs to be split. Many threads exist on how to split it or what to call the splits.  

That's one of the eternal questions of comicbook collecting (that and "What constitutes a 'first [anything]'?"). That's right, I just used five punctuation marks in a row, all properly placed, beat that - HA!) :grin:

The Modern age will never end.  With that said, I think it's time to tighten up some definitions and figure out what and when the age between copper and modern is.

I'm curious where you consider the modern age to begin?  1986 (35 years ago) is firmly copper as far as any definition I've ever heard.  But it's not as commonly used a term as gold/silver/bronze/modern, so I may be off...

6 hours ago, jcjames said:

That's one of the eternal questions of comicbook collecting (that and "What constitutes a 'first appearance'?"). That's right, I just used five punctuation marks in a row, all properly placed, beat that - HA!) :grin:

And "1 or 2 pieces of tape to close a bag?"

5 hours ago, HotKey said:

And "1 or 2 pieces of tape to close a bag?"

And horizontal tape or vertical?

Tape or fold/tuck?

Self-sealing or flap bags?

Bagged or slabbed?

Signed or unsigned?

Print run or distribution numbers?

Comicbook-appearance or representation-in-print?

Marvel or DC?

9.6 or 9.8?

Yes, these and more are the kinds of questions that have been vexing pannapictagraphists for decades.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

It doesn't end (until comics do). The issue is when it begins.

The OP asked when does it end. You and I agree it never ends. 

From that, I state it should have never been named "Modern Age" from the outset (how is that expression at all consistent with GA, SA, BA, CA ?) and you ask when does the Modern Age start? 

I suppose we could be constantly resetting the time frame for what is "Modern Age", but it would need to be reset fairly regularly. Is anything over 10 years old (records, cars, phones, movies, etc) really considered "modern", given a field that is about 90 years old? 

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

I suppose we could be constantly resetting the time frame for what is "Modern Age",

We do. We have. Multiple times.

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

but it would need to be reset fairly regularly.

That's the (relatively) recent problem. The more influential people in the hobby just can't be bothered.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:16 PM, Carnage999 said:

The Modern Age of comics has been going on for over 35 years now, more than any other Age. The second closest is the Bronze Age, which lasted 15 years. So how long until the Modern Age is over? Also, how when we know when it's over?

Not sure whose standard is allowing the "Modern Age" to go back so far. We're always currently in the Modern Age, but I've never heard anyone take it as far back as you. At the least, the period you are going back to is the Copper Age, and many believe a further age or two has elapsed since that time. What source led you to believe this? Are you reading a 1993 Wizard?

On 2/2/2021 at 11:11 AM, valiantman said:

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

2020s

No renaming or continuously lower-valued scrap metals needed

Agreed. Gold,silver,bronze. Then by decade. 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, 10’s, 20’s