• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manufacturer's Error?

6 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a copy of Maestro: War & Pax #1 and discovered that it was missing multiple pages.  Does anyone know how CGC treats a manufacturer's error like this?  Would it affect the grade?  Would it not affect the grade, but have the error noted on the label?  Qualified or Universal?  Any info would be appreciated.

For info on this error, check out: http://collectorsyndicate.com/masetro-war-pax-1-error/

Thanks in advance.

18 hours ago, ggovel said:

I recently picked up a copy of Maestro: War & Pax #1 and discovered that it was missing multiple pages.  Does anyone know how CGC treats a manufacturer's error like this?  Would it affect the grade?  Would it not affect the grade, but have the error noted on the label?  Qualified or Universal?  Any info would be appreciated.

For info on this error, check out: http://collectorsyndicate.com/masetro-war-pax-1-error/

Thanks in advance.

If the book has verified error copies, CGC will generally note the manufacturing error on the label and Qualify the book. An error like this shouldn't affect the grade. And I wouldn't throw the book away---there are certain collectors that collect books with odd defects like this and it may eventually prove to be valuable.

I would suggest buying a regular copy of the book as well, since it'd be nice to read the entire story, yes? 

1 hour ago, 15Years said:

If that were true what's to stop me from removing pages from my copy and claiming it's an error copy? An error like this absolutely should affect the grade. As is the book is garbage.

I'm just telling you how error copies are handled by CGC. I certainly don't condone doing anything sneaky or potentially harmful to the book. 

There are also books with manufacturing errors that will receive a blue label, but those are often "Printing Errors" which usually involve the ink on the cover. Most of the time, books with missing or extra wraps will get the green label...

Edited by The Lions Den