• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sick Magazine - Joe Simon's Stan Lee parody

28 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, s-man said:

So are they implying Stan was like Bob Kane taking the credit with Batman?

Not sure who they are or who is doing that but anyone who is is (again) very limited and didn't do their research so they shouldn't comment. Stan Lee is genuinely creatively brilliant and Bob Kane was shrewd and lucky with marginal talent and what Bob Kane did- which, technically, was legal and protected if immoral- are so so so different that it'd be ridiculous to compare the two. The only thing they have in common is that they both did crave a level of celebrity. 

5 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

Not sure who they are or who is doing that but anyone who is is (again) very limited and didn't do their research so they shouldn't comment. Stan Lee is genuinely creatively brilliant and Bob Kane was shrewd and lucky with marginal talent and what Bob Kane did- which, technically, was legal and protected if immoral- are so so so different that it'd be ridiculous to compare the two. The only thing they have in common is that they both did crave a level of celebrity. 

The 'they' are the ones who did the pages originally posted and it seems like 'they' were saying Stan put his name on everything without being the creative force just like Bob Kane did with Batman.

Edited by s-man

1 hour ago, s-man said:

The 'they' are the ones who did the pages originally posted and it seems like 'they' were saying Stan put his name on everything without being the creative force just like Bob Kane did with Batman.

That's a way to simplify it, so you're referring to Joe Simon who wrote the Sick story that Prince Namor posted? I wasn't aware there was any Bob Kane comparisons from the 'they', just the 'those' who responded.

Again, there's a difference with the Stan discussion and the Bob Kane discussion. Bob Kane's story is fairly documented; he operated like a shop and had a lawyer set up his deal in 1939. It's a different situation from Kirby, Ditko etc. being the plotting and designing force and then Stan saying post 1970 that he was the sole creator, etc. 

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

It’s wonderful that folks have the time to make a study of Kirby’s margin notes, but I read the published comics without Jack’s notes so I can’t really comment as to whether Stan’s decision were more or less valid than Jacks proposals

But you already did, just a few posts before this, when you gave Stan all the credit for the characterization. (shrug)

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Only thing I have for this thread is a spoiler alert since I feel like I have seen this thread before.   So for the newer members here we go. 

Hide contents

Arguments ensue, thread eventually gets locked, pernts, pernts, pernts, until Arch comes home. 

Actually none of my last few Ditko threads where the subject of Stan Lee comes up were locked. Still open and available to anyone that wants to read them: