• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

These signatures really make me shake my head

28 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, grebal said:

Hm, so you'd assume (as I do) that this defacement at bottom of splash was not in fact written by Steve Ditko?  ; )

Well, not just because Ditko almost never signed his work, but more importantly because it doesn't even remotely resemble what his confirmed sigs look like? : D

IMG_1304.thumb.JPG.b742cf87fb9b20ac3b3c53bca1e79cf9.JPG

Thats actually a Stan Ditro signature . Very rare. Stan Ditro is the actual creator of Spiderman and those hacks Lee and Ditko stole all his work and credited themselves. The story goes Ditko later felt so guilty the wouldn't sign anything  and Lee went into denial and would go on to sign everything placed in front of him out of guilt of denying the great Stan Ditro the recognition he deserved. 🤔 😂😂

8 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

What idiot would get those books signed by artists that had nothing to do with them?  :facepalm: Just asinine

Someone who was still very drunk from the night before ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

You can get anything signed by anyone that is being observed by CGC and it is now "signature series" and therefore gets the extra points in the registry.  I talk to someone that used it to bump up their 9.8 books point count to have the best set.

I'm guilty of that. I had three 9.8s signed to take the top spot for Miller's DD run. It was the only way (and I already had three 9.9.s). But at least I was having actual creators sign, like Miller and Janson.

Since then I've sold most of those. To the guy who now has the top spot (again).

18 hours ago, grebal said:

Hm, so you'd assume (as I do) that this defacement at bottom of splash was not in fact written by Steve Ditko?  ; )

Well, not just because Ditko almost never signed his work, but more importantly because it doesn't even remotely resemble what his confirmed sigs look like? : D

IMG_1304.thumb.JPG.b742cf87fb9b20ac3b3c53bca1e79cf9.JPG

It's not actually a forgery based on his proper -script signature. It's a forgery of his printed name that sometimes accompanies his -script signature. Aside from the characters being off, proportions, slant, shape, style, etc., it's obvious that it's drawn, and shakily, an obvious forgery by an unsure hand that hasn't much experience with pieceing the components together in a smooth flow, as there are numerous abrupt direction changes that the track takes. Also, look carefully at the S. When we sign out names, only if the ink didn't take at all do we ever go back and go over letters. In this case, the S was completely formed and the forger went back after signing it to augment the S with those awkward lines at the beginning and end of the stroke of the S. It's pretty comical to think this would fool anyone, but what sometimes happens is that a forger uses a forgery as their exemplar and I've seen other Ditkos based on this forgery! Laughable 

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It's not actually a forgery based on his proper ---script signature. It's a forgery of his printed name that sometimes accompanies his ---script signature. Aside from the characters being off, proportions, slant, shape, style, etc., it's obvious that it's drawn, and shakily, an obvious forgery by an unsure hand that hasn't much experience with pieceing the components together in a smooth flow, as there are numerous abrupt direction changes that the track takes. Also, look carefully at the S. When we sign out names, only if the ink didn't take at all do we ever go back and go over letters. In this case, the S was completely formed and the forger went back after signing it to augment the S with those awkward lines at the beginning and end of the stroke of the S. It's pretty comical to think this would fool anyone, but what sometimes happens is that a forger uses a forgery as their exemplar and I've seen other Ditkos based on this forgery! Laughable 

Interesting, thank you.

Funny thing I noticed after posting that pic (of my personal copy) is the S resembled the S in Ditko's name on front cover of ASM 9 (Electro), on which his name appears "S Ditko."  I assumed forger didn't copy that loop on the "o" from that issue (or the "t"), has Mr Ditko ever looped his oh?  And it's just as likely that the guy who wrote Ditko on my comic was copying some other dummy's version, though I can't be sure since I got this one from some guy on ehay.

Edited by grebal

3 minutes ago, grebal said:

Interesting, thank you.

Funny thing I noticed after posting that pic (of my personal copy) is the S resembled the S in Ditko's name on front cover of ASM 9 (Electro), on which his name appears "S Ditko."  I assumed forger didn't copy that loop on the "o" from that issue (or the "t"), has Mr Ditko ever looped his oh?

Is that by any chance the infamous PGX "authenticated" Ditko signature AS 9? If not, I'd have to see an image to give an opinion on it. 

Edited by James J Johnson

Trying to think of a reason why anyone would have these SS'd.  Either it was a mistake by the person who submitted or they are so rich they don't care what they waste money on. O.o