• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERHERO GRAVEYARD SCENE COVERS--post em if you got em!!
3 3

72 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

@N e r VI thought long and hard about All-American #61 as it fits the hero/horror genre mashup but Not sure it fits the graveyard scene. What a copy though!! I think this sub-set is going to be very small and we probably won't see many books in but I want to make a short list so I think we need to stick to Hero/graveyard which to me I think we need to see either coffins or tombstones etc. I would consider All-American a Super-Hero/Swamp mashup hehe!! That Casper is awesome as well I am going to include that one I have never seen it!! 

I always thought of the “green lantern in...”at the bottom right of the cover was in a gravestone box but here’s another then for you that fits your ideas...

BDBA5D5A-D880-408C-B9B6-4643D4C5C9D8.jpeg.f715a7f733a8ada6350f9ee2a157c472.jpeg

6 minutes ago, rjpb said:

If we start including PCH covers with graveyards, but no superheroes to be found, they are going to squeeze out the genre mash-ups.

that is more what we were looking for yes it has to be something that is out of the norm for the book. Like Cap was a hard Super-Hero book and #17 just so happens to see him fighting in a graveyard so we see that mash-up of the genres like you said. Well put bro

@N e r V As an All-American 61 owner who has stared at that cover more than I can imagine I can definitely see it from that perspective!! I’m going to include it with an asterisk. One of the coolest GA books period. Here is another AA61 question so Grundy is his mouth open or is that his chin like a skrull? I used to think his mouth was open then I heard someone say his mouth was closed and that was his chin and now I see it both ways. His splash in All-Star 33 has his teeth long and mangled but not on the cover. Any guesses what Paul Reinman was trying to convey when he originally drew the cover?!!

11 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Any guesses what Paul Reinman was trying to convey when he originally drew the cover?!!

My 2c is mouth open with teeth. My reasoning is that you can see the bottom corner of his lip curl under on the left side. Doiby’s nose is just about pointing to the area I’m referring to.

13 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

@N e r V As an All-American 61 owner who has stared at that cover more than I can imagine I can definitely see it from that perspective!! I’m going to include it with an asterisk. One of the coolest GA books period. Here is another AA61 question so Grundy is his mouth open or is that his chin like a skrull? I used to think his mouth was open then I heard someone say his mouth was closed and that was his chin and now I see it both ways. His splash in All-Star 33 has his teeth long and mangled but not on the cover. Any guesses what Paul Reinman was trying to convey when he originally drew the cover?!!

All I see is his upper teeth as drawn in the story. Not enough of his bottom mouth (including his chin) to know if his mouth is fully open but that’s not a chin but upper teeth below his upper lip.

10C94E4C-C6B4-4044-A3A2-0E6142F5591B.png.c2b9eff74bac93053a9827f76ea700f9.png

99436C36-9517-4FE1-BBA6-C390D18EA03B.png.b476bb1d779b4615d4e30cf55c73c829.png

This one is a genre mashup and I never even noticed it! There's a cemetery in the background and a coffin at the bottom, with the hero likely resting his hand on a tombstone. (The layout is a bit busy and the colors are bright, so kind of hard to parse.)

fantastic8.jpg.2faef362bf8ebfc5905a916efe84502d.jpg

21 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

While technically not a graveyard cover, Grundy appears to be rising from his grave (the cover being more symbolic than representative of an actual scene in the story), so I can see this book being included with an asterisk.

8 minutes ago, rjpb said:

While technically not a graveyard cover, Grundy appears to be rising from his grave (the cover being more symbolic than representative of an actual scene in the story), so I can see this book being included with an asterisk.

I wonder how many people know then that a graveyard is usually next to a church vs a cemetery which isn’t . :devil:

Question on Menace #5...

Any idea what Everett was thinking with its cover? Zombie in the original story already existed and ended with him returning to his grave (in the swamps? What is it with dead bodies and swamps?). 

Cover appears to have him bursting out of dirt between 2 sidewalks (paved)? Colorist got it wrong and it’s supposed to be paved street or Everett was trying to say that city was so ghetto they couldn’t afford to pave the street too? You could argue it was set in horse and buggy era but nowhere in the story is there anything to suggest that either. Always thought it was a strange layout idea for Everett if it was intended as dirt so I always thought the colorist goofed. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Question on Menace #5...

Any idea what Everett was thinking with its cover? Zombie in the original story already existed and ended with him returning to his grave (in the swamps? What is it with dead bodies and swamps?). 

Cover appears to have him bursting out of dirt between 2 sidewalks (paved)? Colorist got it wrong and it’s supposed to be paved street or Everett was trying to say that city was so ghetto they couldn’t afford to pave the street too? You could argue it was set in horse and buggy era but nowhere in the story is there anything to suggest that either. Always thought it was a strange layout idea for Everett if it was intended as dirt so I always thought the colorist goofed. Thoughts?

He got run over by a horse and buggy during Carnival? :baiting:

2 minutes ago, Jayman said:

He got run over by a horse and buggy during Carnival? :baiting:

Or maybe it was the same colorist who did the Hulk #1? Not wanting make the same mistake again by not using the color gray he used it on the Hulk? After doing the coloring on Iron Man Lee had enough and fired him.