• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ink Stain how much does it affect a grade ? (Pics)
2 2

20 posts in this topic

So assuming this book is a perfect 9.8 without the ink stain just for the sake of consistency , how much would the ink stain on the top effect the grade ? On both 

the front and back of the book .

star wars.jpg

starwars2.jpg

Edited by Corallas

13 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Stain affects overall appearance and will be hit hard depending on the type and extent. The book has some noticeable defects that would preclude a 9.8 even without the stains

Yes but trying to determine specifically how much the stains would effect the grade hence the 9.8 assumption just for a grading lesson .

Have an idea about how certain flaws effect the grade of a book but dont have any clue about how much stains like this would effect it .

Edited by Corallas

There's no "set" rules as to how stain affects a book...imo and in general, a stain(s) bumps a book down considerably from any starting point...@Angel of Death is right in that the staining in your book would take it down to 9.0 or worse  because of how diffuse it is on your book...a singular small stain about the size of a penny would also knock it down to 9.0 territory...a quarter, probably closer to 8.0, etc...

14 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

There's no "set" rules as to how stain affects a book...imo and in general, a stain(s) bumps a book down considerably from any starting point...@Angel of Death is right in that the staining in your book would take it down to 9.0 or worse  because of how diffuse it is on your book...a singular small stain about the size of a penny would also knock it down to 9.0 territory...a quarter, probably closer to 8.0, etc...

Gotcha , yes I don't own the book , trying to learn about grading in general, thanks this helps 

2 hours ago, Corallas said:

So next question , could a stain like this be cleaned?

I am an amateur cleaner (do it myself on my own books only) and I have yet to find anything non-chemical that would remove that. It is possible something chemical exists but I don't like involving chemicals in any way when cleaning (nor do most collectors). 

It's ink and not just contact dirt or soiling which means the paper has been stained which means no removing in a safe, non chemical way. 

22 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I am an amateur cleaner (do it myself on my own books only) and I have yet to find anything non-chemical that would remove that. It is possible something chemical exists but I don't like involving chemicals in any way when cleaning (nor do most collectors). 

It's ink and not just contact dirt or soiling which means the paper has been stained which means no removing in a safe, non chemical way. 

ahhhh no kidding ok thanks , was considering purchasing this book too , this is good to know . 

23 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yes guessing using chemicals is kind of blurring the lines between cleaning and restoration? or at least strong ones 

4 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

So to rephrase the OP's question, assuming the book is 9.8 for humor and learning purposes, how much does the ink transfer affect the grade? (Also considering such ink transfer could have occurred pre-consumer and hence be part of the production process).

Seems like something that happens when you stack a bunch of comics off to ship them, maybe not 100% dry, arguably not production, but shipping damage. I am pretty sure cgc and everyone else deduct for that. But here you can see the ink transfer outline on the back is from the "R" in star wars, so from another copy of the same book underneath it, not 100% dry. i suspect cgc doesn't kill it for that. but the mess on the front is a bit less obvious how it lines up with the dark ink in the spalding ad.... anyone have any exemplars with ink transfer?

On 2/8/2021 at 6:52 PM, the blob said:

Seems like something that happens when you stack a bunch of comics off to ship them, maybe not 100% dry, arguably not production, but shipping damage. I am pretty sure cgc and everyone else deduct for that. But here you can see the ink transfer outline on the back is from the "R" in star wars, so from another copy of the same book underneath it, not 100% dry. i suspect cgc doesn't kill it for that. but the mess on the front is a bit less obvious how it lines up with the dark ink in the spalding ad.... anyone have any exemplars with ink transfer?

we have a winner 

The max grade you can get with ink transfer is 9.4. 

On 2/8/2021 at 10:40 AM, Corallas said:

Yes but trying to determine specifically how much the stains would effect the grade hence the 9.8 assumption just for a grading lesson .

That's not how it works. You look at your  biggest defect and that becomes the grade you get. If a book is 7.0 without ink transfer, a similar looking book with ink transfer would still  be 7.0.

Your book is a 9.0-9.2 so the ink transfer changes nothing aside from visual appeal.

And no, this staining cannot be cleaned.

Edited by William-James88

On 2/11/2021 at 2:59 PM, the blob said:

Does anyone have some CGC ink transfer books? I have looked at all of mine and they don't have any.

I have had many copies of marvel spotlight 2 that have similar ink transfer. I had one copy that received a 9.4 with issues similar to the OP’s SW 2. 

IIRC it happens when the inks are not fully dry when the books are stacked and “stick” or transfer to other books. Since it is dried on ink, it cannot be cleaned off without taking off some of the original ink along the way.